• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Is 10.25 a respectable time for the 1.5 mile run for the army?

Status
Not open for further replies.
PDA on 22nd June and actual assessment not long after I imagine, so a month and a half to train, my required time for my job role is 14 mins so I can obviously pass, it's just I've been told by my afco that unless I get a good time some regiments won't accept me and ill struggle at basic. I'm going to try and bring it below 10 mins. Is this acceptable? Whats the average Joe of the army get?

PDA on 22nd June and actual assessment not long after I imagine, so a month and a half to train, my required time for my job role is 14 mins so I can obviously pass, it's just I've been told by my afco that unless I get a good time some regiments won't accept me and ill struggle at basic. I'm going to try and bring it below 10 mins. Is this acceptable? Whats the average Joe of the army get?
Never you fuckìng mind what anyone elsevis doing, you lazy little scrote. This is your chance to show The Man what you can do.

You'll need under 10:30 once a trained soldier. 10:25 is a bit close to call.

It's a good start, but keep working on it to ensure you don't have problems passing in the future.

When it comes to run times there is no average Joe, some could run like Gump and get 7ish minutes others (like me) seemed to. Be fighting the road with every step and are quite happy just to get in on time.

Don't worry about what others are do, square yourself away first.

I didn't ask if it was good, I know it's not, I'm asking what is a respectable time and what time would be expected of me by various regiments

You'll need under 10:30 once a trained soldier. 10:25 is a bit close to call.

It's a good start, but keep working on it to ensure you don't have problems passing in the future.

When it comes to run times there is no average Joe, some could run like Gump and get 7ish minutes others (like me) seemed to. Be fighting the road with every step and are quite happy just to get in on time.

Don't worry about what others are do, square yourself away first.
I used to regard 10:25 as 4 wasted seconds [quote from basic training staff "Fukk me Pte Devex, you run at exactly the same speed in PT kit, CEMO and with a fukkin' log.....SLOWLY]. In my first unit whenever the new lot came out and there was a mass BFT the announcement was "Dev and Nobby - where are you? Finish in front of those two fukkers and you'll be fine!" I caused all sorts of confusion when I came back off my sgts course as fit as I'd ever been and ran a lifetime best of 9:31!

And not a second longer, you lizard.

I didn't ask if it was good, I know it's not, I'm asking what is a respectable time and what time would be expected of me by various regiments
It will do. Acceptable is your best. Anyone else's time is irrelevant. Unless you're coasting.

Be aware that the people advising you are a bunch of retired drunks who probably take 10.30 to get to the fridge for their next hit of White Lightning (especially in @Offendi case)..

You should be looking at about 9.30 whilst in training. That way you could become an Infantry God just like me.

14 Is a chicks time, you should be aiming at sub 9 mins and less donuts.

Be aware that the people advising you are a bunch of retired drunks who probably take 10.30 to get to fridge for their next hit of White Lightning (especially in @Offendi case)..

You should be looking at about 9.30 whilst in training. That way you could become an Infantry God just like me.
Cheeky cnut. I'm only a hair over 21 min on the 5k park run. It's not amazing, but I bet its faster than you.

Where's our shit thread anyway? It's gone nine.

No it's not a respectable time, even if you're crap at running you should be aiming at knocking two minutes off that.

This gets me. Why state a specific time as being the pass/fail criteria and then expect people to run faster. If you want them to run faster then set a lower time.
I was a 10.30 on the button man for my whole career. Apart from when I arrived at Maidstone. There is a massive hill in the middle of the route. Was told it added 60 seconds to your time. So for once I ran my arse off. Managed 7.30, never again. Soon managed to find my mojo and get back to 10.30. A pass is a pass.
We had a diver in my Tp who would run his best time and then do press ups on the finish line until 10.30. Just to prove a point. Used o drive the PTI's nuts.

This gets me. Why state a specific time as being the pass/fail criteria and then expect people to run faster.
Because it's future potential promotion indicator. Being able to slope a pass at 10.30 is fine but hardly indicative of the thrust, sweat and pain required to pass a L/Cpl Cadre Course or Junior Brecon is it?

Because it's future potential promotion indicator. Being able to slope a pass at 10.30 is fine but hardly indicative of the thrust, sweat and pain required to pass a L/Cpl Cadre Course or Junior Brecon is it?
You fuckìng managed it.

But fitness isn't the be all of being a soldier.
I can honestly say that 10.30 was my given time, it was the same in boots. Yes I am that old to remember doing it in boots.
But my Troopy still thought I was decent enough to start the process for a commission. Seems the CO had other ideas after a couple of months of pissing me around. Seems I am from working stock and in the early 90's that wasn't what my Corps was after in it's officers.
I didn't make mind boggling leaps up the promotion ladder but I was happy with my end state. And spending almost 1/2 my time out of Corps in Instr posts I must of been doing something right.

And Jnr/Sr brecon was never on the cards for me.

This gets me. Why state a specific time as being the pass/fail
They'd really save arrse a lot of bytes if they said 14 min - scrape. 10.30 preferred. 9.30 great. 7.30 awesome. Aim for awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.