Is €140 a small enough bill to chin off?

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by regular_imbiber, Apr 12, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Long and short of it is; I was posted within Germany and changed phone/internet provider. The first thing I asked my new provider (Vodafone D2) was if I got posted to UK for whatever reason would I have to pay a cancellation fee? No, they said, happens all the time. Just bring in your assignment order if applicable.

Fast forward two years, and lo and behold my sub-unit is sent back to UK to join the Regt. I duly present a letter from On High to Voadfone D2 explaining this move (there is no assignment order) and its project title etc. Sorry, says Vodafone D2, means nothing to us. You have to pay up the rest of your contract which is €249. I ask if this is concrete and final and they tell me it is so I grudgingly paid the €249.

Imagine my delight when today I get a bill from a German debt collection agency wanting €139.76 on behalf of Vodafone D2. Should I pay it? I have nothing from VodafoneD2 as only last week I had a clear-out of financial stuff and most of my German receipts and bills got shredded.

The main thought in my mind is that this is another case of a German company trying it on with a squaddie. I received assurances from the staff in the shop that everything was settled so where does it end?

2. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

Colchester?

3. It probably ends with a black mark on your credit rating if it doesn't get properly sorted.

4. Not for that piddly amount but it might be worth a Ryanair flight to jog the shop staff's memories.

5. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Phone shop staff turnover about every 10 minutes...... you were told BS by someone on a commission when you took out the contract (which clearly states the cancellation policy).

Suck it up, it ain't worth the trouble.

6. Well, they never took the trouble to send the letter registered or recorded, so this one's heading to File 13 while I think up a plan of action.

7. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Just means that when the bill finally finds you it will be bigger.......or you can hire a lawyer and challenge it.......

8. just means your credit rating in Germany my suffer... Oh well

9. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Get hold of the Ombudsman for Communications they put the fear of god into TalkTalk who were trying it on and got me a grovelling apology from the MD of said craphole.

10. Thats what I'm thinking desktopcommando. Ive got 2 years left and wont be back to Germany in a professional capacity. I hardly think Interpol or Das Baillifs will get involved.

11. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

No, they just refer it to a Collection Agency, and they will have no problem passing it to a UK one.
    I heard a similiar story about a guy who had a big bill and bugged out to the US and still ended up paying.

They used to contact the units when I was in, which resulted in blokes getting bounced for bringing the army into disrepute.

12. But on the other hand, many people tell companies to ram it when theyve got disputed bills. They dont end up paying as its not worthwhile. Surely €130 or a sterling equivalent falls into that category? I think I'll be phoning the SLO next week for advice.

13. "Bellwhiff", what a truly outstanding word, i shall use it myself every opportunity i get!

14. Basically they'll do diddly squat other than pass it on to a UK debt collector who can do even less, unless they purchase the debt. It will not affect your UK credit file as it's not a UK debt.

There are reciprocal agreements between the member States of the EU where cross border action can be taken but these are designed for the higher end debts & would need a German court order which would need the permission of a UK court to enforce otherwise they will have to bring an action in a UK court and apply for a CCJ which Vodafone will not do... they very rarely bring an action in any case even if it were a UK debt.

The long and the short of it is if they were to apply for a CCJ here it would have to be heard using German law. The collection cost to them would be prohibitive both in time, energy and legal costs for such a piffling amount.