IRR treated kit

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by two_of_seven, Mar 23, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have just seen some photos from the 1991 Gulf War, where most people were wearing tropical shirts & jackets.

Does anyone know: were these approved back then, despite the danger of being seen?

& secondly the american webbing pouches from that era are an olive green colour, are these likley to be IRR as the british green (90 pattern) seems to be?

2. Approved due to the other option being kit designed for Europe (would have been a tad warm, perhaps).

The story goes we flogged the pattern of our desert DPM to Iraq and the powers that were decided it would be awkward fighting an enemy wearing the same kit as us.

Later a new pattern was made availible but not enough for everyone.

3. Infra red sights operate within the near range of the electromagnetic spectrum and the natural of the folige is a high reflectant in this light whereas a human appears dark against such a background. The British d.p.m is reduced to a two element pattern with black and dark brown dyes as low-reflectants and green and khaki dyes as high value reflectants, and thus still retains its disruptive patterns. The sates started using irr dyes in the 70's

4. I think this was pretty unusual; I recall seeing very few people in trops, most had dessy kit. Everyone in my unit did.

5. It was the norm for us, we eventualy got one set of dessies which fell apart when they were put in the dohbi!

6. some good answers there thanks, so does anyone know for sure if the US green webbing is likely to have had IRR treatment?

7. I had temperate kit (not even tropicals) for a month and then got some desert kit (which I just got rid of!).

The UK IRR specifications are the most stringent in the world and are getting even more so; most other nations do not bother with some of the big buyers only just bothering to put IRR specs in their contracts. I have no idea why they stand out like a beacon and its not difficult or expensive to do.

8. Could anyone help with these topic related questions then?
    Is an SA80A2/GPMG/LMG IRR treated?
    What is the resolution of the "screen" you look into in your night sight?
    At what range does IRR for the above mentioned items no longer matter (As in "vanish in the pixels)?

Because one thing I've noticed is that every Squaddie that might get seen by one of these night sights is equipped with an SA80A2/GPMG/LMG!

Views?
    Comments?
    :?

9. Is IRR kit still needed in todays modern age

10. Wah?

If not think about what you've just typed there.

11. Well tell me wether you are using any Desert kit that has no IRR properties, this is not a wah just a question, from what I have read on other posts people are buying kit like this http://www.dixiescornermilitarysupplies.co.uk/grab-bagman-bag-70-p.asp in desert pattern and it is not IRR. Just a general question I am wondering what opinions will come out.

12. IRR does not defeat thermal and yes the slanty e--ed Bi--c-es have thermal

13. So if there was a bit of a poll how would members of this forum rate the importance of having IRR kit, and if anyone one knows, is the desert material used for issue webbing and what is commercially bought IRR treated kit ??????

14. IRR kit is only useful against cheap and cheerful image intensifiers (these see into the near infra red, but are still dependent on reflected light. TI used emitted heat radiation, that's why IRR isn't effective against TI.

15. You must've been a loggie then, or so far in the rear you snet your mail forward ;)