IRR Patches

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by daywalker, Aug 7, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. daywalker

daywalker LE Reviewer

Evening gents!!

Does anyone one know where i can get hold of either some IRR or luminous union jack patches?

cheers

2. luminous union jack patches?

[​IMG]

:?

3. daywalker

daywalker LE Reviewer

hilarious... :evil:

4. aaaarrrrrrggggghhhhhhhh my eyes

5. Well WTF is a luminous Union Jack patch then?

6. WTF is 'Royal army' all about in that link.....

[​IMG]

.....although it is an American seller.

7. $39....are you mad?

io Tiger you going to Poland? :wink:

8. daywalker

daywalker LE Reviewer

9. The future's bright...

10. The purpose of IRR union flag patches is to be recognised as a Brit in the dark with night vision devices. The purpose of fieldcraft is to see without being seen. So sew on a tactical green or desert cloth flash instead ! If you're on ops and worried about friendly fire when it's a little bit dark, use an infra red cyalume instead. They work brilliantly ! Speak to your Admin Sgt or friendly SQMS.

Or are you an Airsoft Walt !?

11. daywalker

daywalker LE Reviewer

Most def not an airsoft walt!!!

The way i look at it is that an IRR union jack patch would work just as well in daytime as it would at night. Ive seen alot of US soldiers with them and it struck me as a good idea. I agree that an IRR cylume works well to but there is nothing stopping the bad guys doing this also,and i think 30 blokes running around a compound with IR cylumes strapped to them could be a bit of a drama when working on NVG's.

Anyone else got any thoughts on this?

12. I've always got thoughts; occasionally they make sense...

1. I can't find many Al Qaeda IR Cyalume Factories in the middle eastern phone book, which leads me to suspect that Taliban supplies of IR cyalumes are somewhat limited and so not many militants wear them ;)

2. An IR cyalume is SOPs for many units, because whereas a little luminous flag on your arm can only be seen when your left arm is facing the NVGs, a glowing thing on your helmet is pretty fcuking obvious. anything that stops you getting shot by your own side is probably a good idea.

3. IR cyalumes are not that bright that a lot of them will white out NVGs at any distance. If anything, the cyalumes will serve to provide ambient light for the NVGs.

13. daywalker

daywalker LE Reviewer

Straight back at ya!!!!

1. If AQ wanted to get them im sure they could, im not saying that they just pop down the stores a get a box but im pretty sure they could get them. I reckon the Iranians have got a couple kicking around somewhere.

2. I personally wouldn't want a glowing aiming marker on my head when im fighting an enemy that has been proven to have a night vision capibility.There is nothing in queens regs saying you can only have one on your left arm and that it has to be as small as the issue Union Jack you wear on your working dress in camp.

3. I agree it wouldn't cause a white out but i do think it could get confusing with lots of cylumes running around in front of you!!!