Irony of ironies, I have the flu!

Ive been feeling utter shoite since the new year, the Doc thinks I have been mismanaging my type 2 but has referred me to a neurologist next month to be safe.
I'm so weak a matelot could beat me up!
Yep, me too, but I blame the cheap whisky.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Since that botched upper molar extraction in 2010 where Dr Frankenstein in Uxbridge high st tried to see if he could get an knitting needle sixed syringe up as far as my eyeball, leaving the right side of my face on fire for 6 months afterwards, my only wish is that all dentists die in agony while I point and laugh.

nothing personal @Fang_Farrier

Having trained as a Dental Nurse and had a reasonable amount of experience working in this capacity in all fields of dentistry, I thought I was relatively immune to dental phobia, but in recent years I've encountered a couple of dentists who have caused me immense pain due to (in my opinion) cavalier attitudes to patient care.

Either I'm becoming more of a wimp in my dotage, or dentists are becoming more careless.

Over to you @Fang_Farrier

Having trained as a Dental Nurse and had a reasonable amount of experience working in this capacity in all fields of dentistry, I thought I was relatively immune to dental phobia, but in recent years I've encountered a couple of dentists who have caused me immense pain due to (in my opinion) cavalier attitudes to patient care.

Either I'm becoming more of a wimp in my dotage, or dentists are becoming more careless.

This maniac was forcing a syringe through the roof of my mouth, I nearly passed out. Pretty sure it went into my brain at one point.

Fairly much by a process of elimination.

No D&V so rules out a fair few options.

No respiratory issues in the slightest, although have a slightly raised temperature of 37.4. All other vital signs normal. This is a real bugger because if it increases much more it's an automatic 14 self isolation unless I can get tested for Covid19.

Very sore throat and a fair degree of lethargy.
Was feeling cold although was warm to the touch. Temperature was normal at that stage

Also can base it on others in house and their progress.

Plus I have hung around health care facilities for over the 30years!
I'm not going to pretend to be a doctor, but here's the list of symptoms from the province of Ontario:
The 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Symptoms range from mild – like the flu and other common respiratory infections – to severe. The most common symptoms include:
  • fever
  • cough
  • difficulty breathing
  • muscle aches
  • fatigue
  • headache
  • sore throat
  • runny nose

Not all people will exhibit all symptoms to a noticeable degree, so just because you are missing some of the above doesn't mean it's not COVID-19. Also some symptoms, including respiratory issues (including cough), may not appear right away. In very mild cases you may not develop any cough nor any noticeable problems with breathing.

One major problem is that without having a test it's not really possible to tell if you've got a mild case of COVID-19 or a bad case of garden variety flu.

I'm given to understand from someone who had all of the above symptoms (but did not get tested) that (minor) difficulties in breathing did not show up until several days into it. The first sign was sore throat and tiredness. Breathing difficulties went away after two or three days. Symptoms were made somewhat more tolerable through the use of ordinary over the counter flu medication. After about 10 days this person had more or less recovered, but feeling weak for another week after. Was it flu or COVID-19? It's impossible to tell without a test.

I'm not going to play Internet doctor and second guess your own condition, but the above might be helpful to other people reading this.

Last edited:

Back in the 70s my dentist was something of a rarity round here, he looked like Julius Harris, and didn't believe in pain relief for most procedures.

The only exception being extractions when gas was the method of choice, being a child I now assume the mask wouldn't fit so the work around was to place the hose on your chest and tell you to blow into it?!

On the very rare occasion when a local was given the needle seemed to hurt more than the procedure (from on my previous experiences) and it was well into my 30s before I got soft and accepted an injection for a filling and just used to tell them to drill away. I found that the pain would reach a level where it was tolerable and a constant I could work through.

Based on the tooth ache I had a couple of years ago Dr Szell wouldn't need much more than dental floss to get me to talk these days.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I'm not going to pretend to be a doctor, but here's the list of symptoms from the province of Ontario:
The 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Symptoms range from mild – like the flu and other common respiratory infections – to severe. The most common symptoms include:
  • fever
  • cough
  • difficulty breathing
  • muscle aches
  • fatigue
  • headache
  • sore throat
  • runny nose

Not all people will exhibit all symptoms to a noticeable degree, so just because you are missing some of the above doesn't mean it's not COVID-19. Also some symptoms, including respiratory issues (including cough), may not appear right away. In very mild cases you may not develop any cough nor any noticeable problems with breathing.

One major problem is that without having a test it's not really possible to tell if you've got a mild case of COVID-19 or a bad case of garden variety flu.

I'm given to understand from someone who had all of the above symptoms (but did not get tested) that (minor) difficulties in breathing did not show up until several days into it. The first sign was sore throat and tiredness. Breathing difficulties went away after two or three days. Symptoms were made somewhat more tolerable through the use of ordinary over the counter flu medication. After about 10 days this person had more or less recovered, but feeling weak for another week after. Was it flu or COVID-19? It's impossible to tell without a test.

I'm not going to play Internet doctor and second guess your own condition, but the above might be helpful to other people reading this.
Thanks.

Definitely the headache and that sore throat but those are common to a lot of things.

Nose is blocked not runny. But that could be hayfever, been doing a lot of gardening trimming back trees and shrubs and exposed to tree pollen. Spent the first 45 years of my life unaffected by such things to suddenly being hit by it every year.

I have survived the night, very restless though.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I thought single malts were still blends, just blends from a single distillery.
You do get Single Cask bottles which are exactly that.

"
Single cask whiskies have been drawn from one individual cask. No two casks are the same, meaning every single cask whisky is completely unique and so, by its very nature, a limited edition."

I think you mean grindr, grinder is open source load testing software...
My how times have changed, how am I going to break the news to my angle, belt, and bench grinders that they have been made obsolete by a proper tool?

You do get Single Cask bottles which are exactly that.

"
Single cask whiskies have been drawn from one individual cask. No two casks are the same, meaning every single cask whisky is completely unique and so, by its very nature, a limited edition."
I know. I've got two bottles of single cask Glenfiddich with a commemorative label hidden away.

Dredd

LE
At least one distillery and a brewery here in Jockland changing their production process to make sanitisers which they are giving away for free* (although the Brewdog stuff cannot be used in Grampian as it has not passed quality checks :rolleyes: :D ). Thing is, this might actually taste better than their normal output . . .

* Free, as in publicity

Am not sure if MrsF was hoping it would be Covid19 so she can have a "told you so moment" over whether it was safe for me to work and still live at home!
But you caught it from your Missus it seems.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
At least one distillery and a brewery here in Jockland changing their production process to make sanitisers which they are giving away for free* (although the Brewdog stuff cannot be used in Grampian as it has not passed quality checks :rolleyes: :D ). Thing is, this might actually taste better than their normal output . . .

* Free, as in publicity
Failed to cut and paste for some reason but there is an interesting map of all the distilleries in the world who are producing sanitiser at the present moment

Our local distillery has run out of bottle to put it in, so you can only get refills.

Luckily hardware shop has advertised jointly that it is selling spray bottles!

Dr Death

War Hero
Flu is going around at the moment with CoVid19 as its the season for it.
The trouble is that as seen as someone gets a cold its 7 days self isolating straight away.
People paranoid that it could be something worse.

Working From Home is a great idea, no dirty horrible people to see & pretend you like them, or care.
This might catch on and armed with a decent laptop & webcam you never have to speak in person again.

Dr Death

War Hero
So despite all the social distancing, all the PPE at work, I have come down with the flu.

Not Covid19 but just common influenza.

In fact Mrs F developed symptoms on Friday, head aches, joint pains, tiredness, the classic flu symptoms and has ongoing since then.

Amd now I have the fecking same.

And before any smart arse states Covid19, there's no fever and no cough, no other definite Covid symptoms.

Dosed up on lemsip and strepsils.

Just for completeness, Size 10, and I never borrow any money.
Is this the full blown knock you out flu for 1/2 week's or the deadlier man flu?

Latest Threads