Irony: Ethical wristbands made using slave labour

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai...9.xml&sSheet=/portal/2005/05/29/ixportal.html

Wristbands sold to raise money for a campaign against world poverty are made in Chinese sweatshops in "slave labour" conditions, The Sunday Telegraph can reveal.

Worthy cause: hundreds of thousands of the £1 wristbands have been sold in Britain

The "shocking" conditions are disclosed in confidential "ethical audits" of factories that make the ultra-fashionable white wristbands for the Make Poverty History campaign, started by a coalition of more than 400 charities.

Bob Geldof, who last week confirmed a follow-up to the 1985 Live Aid concert - to coincide with the G8 summit in July - called for action when this newspaper broke the news to him.

"The charities should pull out of deals with those companies immediately or set a firm deadline for improvements and pull out if the improvements are not met," he said. One senior official with a British charity last night described the labour abuses as "deeply shocking".
Aah, irony - it is so sweet and fair!

Post edited. Guys and Girls , please remember copyright issues. - PTP

I feel sorry for the well-meaning people involved - it's obviously not intentional. However - imagine the embarrassment of being ranked alongside Nike, et al. the global exploiters of slave labour.

No matter what spin the Daily Torygraph puts on it - "a spokesman" said this, "a spokesman" said that, we should all do our best to boycott the real villains of the piece - the multinationals - and the press.

The real villains of the piece are the woolly thinking fools who think that by buying a wristband they can help solve the problem. If you really want to help give some real money or your time, not a pound. And if you are daft enough to buy an overlarge rubber band don't ponce round in it like you've just single-handedly saved Africa. It's not about real help, it's selling smugness for a quid.

Ah Bob Gelded, The internation movei star, must be don't think he's a singer.
Load of crap yes sounds like the do gooders anthem. Mind you whats slave labour for sum is a working wage for others.
john
It is. Onest.

Here are some extracts from this example of [irony on] fine investigative journalism[/irony off] courtesy of The Daily Telegraph:

stoatman said:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai...9.xml&sSheet=/portal/2005/05/29/ixportal.html

One senior official with a British charity last night described

The audit reports obtained by The Sunday Telegraph show, however, that

A report on the Tat Shing Rubber Manufacturing Company in Shenzhen, near Hong Kong

An audit at the Fuzhou Xing Chun Trade Company in Fujian province

A spokesman said:

a spokesman said:

a Christian Aid spokesman said.

Cafod, which has bought 120,000 wristbands from the factory, said:

Richard Curtis, the British screenwriter and co-founder of Comic Relief, said: "I don't want to comment about this. I am very concerned about the G8 summit and getting as many people as possible to be passionate about the war against poverty so that we can achieve a massive breakthrough."

Louis Kennedy, a British fair trade marketing company which sourced the wristbands for Oxfam and arranged audits of the Shenzhen company, said that the reference to forced labour related to "deposits" paid for uniforms and tools and "as far as Louis Kennedy is aware, [the factory] did not prevent workers leaving to seek alternative employment".

Louis Kennedy was "disappointed" that there were problems at the factory but believed it right to continue to use it because improvements have been made.

The audit included a "corrective and protective action plan", with three- and six-month deadlines.

Mel Beaulieu, a director of Sandbag, a Berkshire-based marketing company which deals with the Fujian factory, said that production of the silicon bands did not begin until three weeks after the audit when the factory agreed to a "continuous improvement plan".
Please take time to note in the above excerpts that we don't get any names until Richard Curtis is mentioned, but by this point, the damage is done and the message has been planted. This is what the Daily Torygraph get up to before they finish early for their liquid lunch.

OK, there may be a grain of truth, but the 'journalists' who 'work' here are busy trying to outdo each other in the ongoing quest to impress the editor with the most impressive hyperbole and the best attempts at promoting and supporting big business - the very reason for the paper's existence. Sad, impressionable readers get wound up to the point of filling forums like this with narrow-minded bigotry and bile. Take a step back and for once, realise you've been HAD. The less worldly-wise amongst you are grist to the mill and cannon-fodder in more ways than one.

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
Of dear, Frenchperson, you are barking up the wrong tree here as usual. Your rants against the 'evils' of multinationals and the Telegraph are pretty much lost on the majority of the Users here, who are a tad more open-minded than you and your prejudices would wish. Many of the people on this site have seen the results of poverty in action - and, in almost every case, it is the result of people - not natural disasters, not global warming, and certainly not due to multinationals - but theiving and greedy local bastards.

Keep your nonsense for the letters pages of the Guaunardian, where they can be read by the few dyslexics who think they run the Country.

Apart from that, anything that shows up these foolish public heart-on-wrist campaigns for the fatuous nonsense they are is a good thing.

"but theiving and greedy local bastards."

yes Snowy how true.
I have a friend a New Zealander, very senior cival engineer, luvs ta dish out the poo to Brits, decent sort.
He's in Mumbai now, he says ask for Mumbai main railway station and your taxi goes nowhere till you change and say Bombay Main station.
When he first came back on leave from his job he said after a few If you Brits sent a gunboat there now all the normal local people would be out crying Oh please cum back.
Ordinary folk still remember proper courts, justice and a civil service that worked.
john

OldSnowy said:
Of dear, Frenchperson, you are barking up the wrong tree here as usual. Your rants against the 'evils' of multinationals and the Telegraph are pretty much lost on the majority of the Users here, who are a tad more open-minded than you and your prejudices would wish. Many of the people on this site have seen the results of poverty in action - and, in almost every case, it is the result of people - not natural disasters, not global warming, and certainly not due to multinationals - but theiving and greedy local bastards.

Keep your nonsense for the letters pages of the Guaunardian, where they can be read by the few dyslexics who think they run the Country.

Apart from that, anything that shows up these foolish public heart-on-wrist campaigns for the fatuous nonsense they are is a good thing.
When you describe the users on here as 'open-minded', I'll take that to mean 'open to influence' rather than the more accepted dictionary definition of 'Having or showing receptiveness to new and different ideas or the opinions of others'.

I say this in the light of a couple of recent threads that have been started and popularly supported:

Dole Scum Underage Mothers
Lock The Bitch Up

frenchperson said:
When you describe the users on here as 'open-minded', I'll take that to mean 'open to influence' rather than the more accepted dictionary definition of 'Having or showing receptiveness to new and different ideas or the opinions of others'.

I say this in the light of a couple of recent threads that have been started and popularly supported:

Lock The Bitch Up
God, you and your conspiracy theories, you will never listen to reason will you. Everything is being brought about by those powers who wish to control us :roll: ...or so you would have us believe :wink:

Still keep up this paranoia and you may soon have a lovely jacket and a nice padded cell all for your own

The majority of posters on this site are open to new and receptive ideas, irrespective of what you think, they listen to reasoned argument and will make up their own minds accordingly. If they think alike, that is no conspiracy, perhaps they are of an ilke who have the same values and ideas.

Anyway, if you don't like this site, feck off

dui-lai said:
frenchperson said:

Lock The Bitch Up
God, you and your conspiracy theories, you will never listen to reason will you. Everything is being brought about by those powers who wish to control us :roll: ...or so you would have us believe :wink:

Still keep up this paranoia and you may soon have a lovely jacket and a nice padded cell all for your own

The majority of posters on this site are open to new and receptive ideas, irrespective of what you think, they listen to reasoned argument and will make up their own minds accordingly. If they think alike, that is no conspiracy, perhaps they are of an ilke who have the same values and ideas.

OK, I don't know your personal situation, so I'll generalise here, and try to explain why the majority of posters on the site have similar ideas. I agree, it's not a conspiracy - it couldn't ever be that - but there is a definite reason for the general tone of the place, which seems to be arrogance tinged with bravado - although there's also great humour that makes it very compelling.

<generalising>When you join the services aged 16, you're usually a blank slate waiting to be written on.

If you do the full 22, and have carefully avoided discussing politics/religion (as your masters would wish), then you've had plenty of time and opportunity not to develop a reasoned and informed outlook on things.

Unless you're the philosophical or questioning sort (not many are at a young age), you'll accept it all without question, slowly get insular, and as you settle into the smugness, assume that the services = the whole world.

The system within the forces may work well - they are after all, fighting forces with a definite purpose, but they're a microcosm that doesn't reflect the wider world. The tendency is for every notion coming in from the outside to be measured against this yardstick and accepted or rejected accordingly. </generalising stopped>

You have held up 'listening to reason...' as a worthwhile quality to have. But in summing up, you've lapsed into a rhetorical aside to the wider audience by telling me to 'feck off'.

Is this the type of reasoned argument you want me to listen to?

It'd be nice to have an argument from you that doesn't just repeat leftist propaganda as fact.

<generalising>When you join the services aged 16, you're usually a blank slate waiting to be written on.

If you do the full 22, and have carefully avoided discussing politics/religion (as your masters would wish), then you've had plenty of time and opportunity not to develop a reasoned and informed outlook on things.

Unless you're the philosophical or questioning sort (not many are at a young age), you'll accept it all without question, slowly get insular, and as you settle into the smugness, assume that the services = the whole world.
I agree that at the age of 16 (myself included) when joining the army are blank slates (on the whole and generalising) but you see what happens as you get older is (NOT GENERALISING) unlike you it seems, we grow up and learn to make up our own minds due to experience, and not due to what someone tells us to think, whether it be left or right wing theories/propaganda. twat

French person, Im with you for about 80% of what you say. However, as engee says, we have grown and now can look at a debate/opinion and form our own.
No disrespect (sort of) here but you remind me of one or two perpetual students that I have known. Nice to be young and on fire but your peer group have moved on.
Anyhow I enjoy the shiit you come out with.

Gone away from the wristband bit I suppose but thought I'd drop my two penneth in.

I wear a yellow Livestrong band because my Mum and Dad both died of cancer and I am keen to support cancer research type charities. I also give cash direct to Marie Curie but I like the idea of people, especially kids, being made aware of what is going on and what the bands are for.

I also wear a red Hillsborough Justice Campaign (HJC) band. This is to support a campaign for a full and independent investigation into the Hillsborough disaster of 5 Apr 89 where ninety six Liverpool fans were killed when going to watch their team play in a football match.

Steven Gerard also wore a HJC band during the European Cup final last week. Band simply says ninety-six.

Once again the reason for wearing the band is to show support and to answer peoples questions when they ask what the HJC is all about. If anyone is interested:

http://www.contrast.org/hillsborough

All i can say is ho hum! :lol:

It was more of a fashion statement by alll the trendies, rather than a concerted attempt to alleviate poverty.

As some else has said, if your that bllody annoyed about poverty, give some of your time, money or skills, rather than look like a wannabe ponce with an over large laccy band round your wrist.

Geldof take note you ponce.

Frenchcnut- I came, I saw and I formed an opinion.
Try that instead of gobbing about about things you've only read about/seen on telly.

Fin.

frenchperson said:
dui-lai said:
frenchperson said:

Lock The Bitch Up

OK, I don't know your personal situation, so I'll generalise here, and try to explain why the majority of posters on the site have similar ideas. I agree, it's not a conspiracy - it couldn't ever be that - but there is a definite reason for the general tone of the place, which seems to be arrogance tinged with bravado - although there's also great humour that makes it very compelling.

The system within the forces may work well - they are after all, fighting forces with a definite purpose, but they're a microcosm that doesn't reflect the wider world. The tendency is for every notion coming in from the outside to be measured against this yardstick and accepted or rejected accordingly. </generalising stopped>

You have held up 'listening to reason...' as a worthwhile quality to have. But in summing up, you've lapsed into a rhetorical aside to the wider audience by telling me to 'feck off'.

Is this the type of reasoned argument you want me to listen to?
Whilst your point is well laid out, it just goes to show how skewed your views of service personnel are and how little you actually know about them and their lives

Because of the armed services role in a large number of geo-political situations (be they war, peacekepping or some other job), they have a vested interest in knowing quite abit about global affairs, and also the politics that directly affect them and their jobs (be it jobs losses, potential depolyments or funding cuts).

As such, i think you will find that the average squaddie knows more about policitcs/world affairs than your 'average joe'

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Seadog The NAAFI Bar 43
Dredd The Intelligence Cell 256
D Southern Africa 33