Irons

Hello all,
the majority of you say one of the best things to get for basic is a good iron, now i dont know all that much about irons so i figure that i should ask you lot so can you tell me what to look for in a iron and maybe recommend any... i think my price range cant really exceed £50.
i start basic on the 5th feb so asap please
many thanks,
Matt Lee

great question :)

just don't buy something cheap and shitty. at least £30, up to £50 if you want to splash out. you get what you pay for. make sure it has steam and water spray function.

enjoy training. when you get booted off the square for the nineteenth time, you'll realise it doesn't matter how expensive your iron was :)

Ive always been fond of a nine iron. Gives god all round useability.

Taxis on the way and I have got my coat :D

Seriously, as has been said, one with a steam function and water spray, also I would go for one which has a temperature adjustment on it to avoid making your kit shiny :D

i spent 50 odd £ on a decent iron and it blew up lol

ended up buying a ridicolously overpriced one from the naafi to replace it.. does the job but it cost me over twice as much as it is in tesco!

get one with at least 80g steam shot. i got a breville one for £25 and it did the job fantastically. it is important and really makes basic training easier. to be honest with you, i've just finished and it wasn't even half as hard as they make out it will be. just don't let it get to you and it's plain sailing. good luck x

get one with at least 80g steam shot. i got a breville one for £25 and it did the job fantastically. it is important and really makes basic training easier. to be honest with you, i've just finished and it wasn't even half as hard as they make out it will be. just don't let it get to you and it's plain sailing. good luck x

just out of interest, i just remembered that "Iron" is an old Laaaahndon term for a queer.

apparently :)

so beware of some of the responses you may get to your thread title, especially from any matelots lol

robot said:
"80g steam shot"?!??!?!?

lordy lordy we're getting technical. what's wrong with heating up the bottom of your mess tin like the good old days? *lamp*

A breville? Surely that should be regarded as a 'Press' rather than an iron.

However, I doff my cap to you, genious idea, press your kit, make a toastie :D

I bought a tesco value steam iron for £4.95 on the basis that it'll probably get nicked or smashed!!

Does the job just as well as a more expenesive one though.

Rockhopperst4 said:
I bought a tesco value steam iron for £4.95 on the basis that it'll probably get nicked or smashed!!

Does the job just as well as a more expenesive one though.
I disagree, I bought one for spare and taking on courses etc, complete crap. Too lightwieght and leaked after 4 days. You get what you pay for. Buy cheap Tesco chinese crap and look crap, my Meile one works a treat and save a lot of time in the end.

I can't believe I'm discussing irons at 11pm on a sat night!

You tend to get what you pay for. I´ve always used Rowentas and the only problems I´ve had with them are "idiot induced" problems i.e. dropping the fecking thing when I´ve tried getting my kit ready whilst being slightly inebriated, NOT RECOMMENDED :omfg:

I think im lost. Im sure I logged into ARRSE and not Women's Institute. :blowkiss:

Damn. My browser must be U/S. :pissedoff:

Basic: Iron quality wont and doesnt matter. Youre going to get ragged whatever you do to your Kit. Buy a cheap one that has steam facility NOT from the NAAFI. Buy a can of Starch too, that way you'll be respectable on parade..

First Posting and beyond: Buy a decent Iron that will last. Do a search on the Web and see what gets the best ratings then take off the fancy crap and go for one that does military kit. Ones with stupid settings, etc, etc arent needed. Your old iron from basic will now do for courses / tours, etc

When you get married this all goes out the window. She'll expect, nay demand, something swanky, your decent one will end up binned and you'll be resigned to using your tour iron as Chief of the Domestic Staff wont let you near hers.. :pissedoff: :frustrated: :pissedoff: