Irons

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by mattlee, Jan 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all,
    the majority of you say one of the best things to get for basic is a good iron, now i dont know all that much about irons so i figure that i should ask you lot so can you tell me what to look for in a iron and maybe recommend any... i think my price range cant really exceed £50.
    i start basic on the 5th feb so asap please
    many thanks,
    Matt Lee

2. great question :)

just don't buy something cheap and shitty. at least £30, up to £50 if you want to splash out. you get what you pay for. make sure it has steam and water spray function.

enjoy training. when you get booted off the square for the nineteenth time, you'll realise it doesn't matter how expensive your iron was :)

3. oh, i got a 20 pound one.... too cheap? it has the spray function, steam and all the bells and whistles

4. A cordless one is your best bet. Also one with a steam and water spray function as CR states.

5. Ive always been fond of a nine iron. Gives god all round useability.

Taxis on the way and I have got my coat :D

Seriously, as has been said, one with a steam function and water spray, also I would go for one which has a temperature adjustment on it to avoid making your kit shiny :D

6. why not just take your mum to Basic? ;)

7. i spent 50 odd £ on a decent iron and it blew up lol

ended up buying a ridicolously overpriced one from the naafi to replace it.. does the job but it cost me over twice as much as it is in tesco!

8. so anything around about £50 is where you will get your moneys worth and one that will last

9. get one with at least 80g steam shot. i got a breville one for £25 and it did the job fantastically. it is important and really makes basic training easier. to be honest with you, i've just finished and it wasn't even half as hard as they make out it will be. just don't let it get to you and it's plain sailing. good luck x

10. get one with at least 80g steam shot. i got a breville one for £25 and it did the job fantastically. it is important and really makes basic training easier. to be honest with you, i've just finished and it wasn't even half as hard as they make out it will be. just don't let it get to you and it's plain sailing. good luck x

11. just out of interest, i just remembered that "Iron" is an old Laaaahndon term for a queer.

apparently :)

so beware of some of the responses you may get to your thread title, especially from any matelots lol

12. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

Just ask your Sgt he will do your ironing for you if you ask the right way :thumleft:

13. "80g steam shot"?!??!?!?

lordy lordy we're getting technical. what's wrong with heating up the bottom of your mess tin like the good old days? *lamp*

14. A breville? Surely that should be regarded as a 'Press' rather than an iron.

However, I doff my cap to you, genious idea, press your kit, make a toastie :D

15. I bought a tesco value steam iron for £4.95 on the basis that it'll probably get nicked or smashed!!

Does the job just as well as a more expenesive one though.