Iron Rations

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by bob_the_bomb, Nov 1, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi there. Many moons ago (make that years!) I was on a combat survival course where we were issued with a tin of chocolate rations with the instruction that it would be a chargeable offence to eat the contents...the tin was the same as a standard 2oz tobacco tin and I never saw the insides, but I havent seen one since. Any ideas where I might find one? Now working on civvy job where this would be useful. Thanks

2. You must be getting on a bit; I've heard of those being issued to commandos in WWII. Apparently the chocolate is rock solid anyway. I doubt they're still made, and if you're looking to eat the chocolate then I suggest Yorkie bars.

3. A real jaw breaker, supposedly had enough energy to keep a guy going for a week. Tasted like eating cocoa straight from the tin, very rich, somewhat unpleasent.

I remember re-locating a tin in late '60s.

4. I don't think its worth trying to find one of the WW2 chocolate rations:

a) they're quite rare nowadays and so re-enactors drive up the price;

b) the stuff inside bears no relation to Cadbury's finest - its more like dried up bootpolish, with a similar taste.

Can't imagine what sort of civvie job you're doing which might require survival food (its usually water that might be a problem in most "interesting" jobs these days), but when I've done anything like that - eg driving in the outback in Russia at -40oC - I've just carried the old make-your-own arctic kit of candles matches and mint cake in a tobacco tin.

5. Slightly off topic: Does anyone remember a slab like bar of sludge, grease and muck made by, I think, Horlicks? It had directions that it could be eaten cold or mixed with instant potato powder to make it go further.

6. Thanks for all the replies. The tin was issued to me in the early 80's and I was just wondering if it was still around. Of course, knowing the army at the time it is entirely conceivable that it was from WW2! I have made up other emergency rations from normal sources but was curious about what was issued now to fill this gap. Yes, water is definitely the main issue and have been using a camelbak for some time now, though there is still a 58 pattern bottle around for when I am going to be more than a day away from the accommodation...though I try to use civvy kit as much as possible these days

7. Are you thinking of Bovril pemmican?, filthy stuff intended for feeding sled dogs.
    You're better off eating the dog before you start eating his scoff.

8. I'm sure that it was called Horlicks Survival Food: I'll email Horlicks and see if they ever did produce something like that. They certainly don't appear to now.
    Yes, I do remember the Bovril thing - unfortunately

9. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

10. If you had to make/carry your own emergency scoff - maximum calories per unit of weight/bulk being the key requirement you would think - what would you take?

I wonder if sugar will dissolve in oil and I wonder if it will fill in the spaces between the molecules (the way it will in water?). A litre of olive oil with a kilo of sugar dissolved in it? Mmmmmmmmm...................oily goodness.

11. Just get yourself some of these.

http://shop.lifejackets.co.uk/acatalog/Marine_first_aid_kits.html

13. Fat only contains 9 calories per gram.... 500 x 9 = 4500

Not sure their sums add up ??

14. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm not a food scientist. But these sort of emergency rations are heavily fortified, is it not possible to achieve more than 9 calories a gram by frankensteining and super concentrating the ingredients?