Iron Cross

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by no_idea, Nov 12, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Whilst I'm on here...

I have an Iron Cross. The family story is that one of my uncle's lifted this from a dead German soldier on a battlefield during WW2. Not sure if this is even true.

I've always felt more than a little unhappy about this and would like to do something about it. There is obviously no way of returning it to any family of the rightful owner (it has no serial number or individual marking on it).

Is there anything I can/should do?
  2. Auction it for RBL?
  3. Wear it down the pub telling everyone that you're an ex german stormtrooper and before you know it you'll be on here as a Deutsche Uber Walt. Or you could keep it for your children as part of an important piece of your familys history.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. You could try writing to this organisation "Odessa, abbreviation of Organisation Der Ehemaligen Ss-angehörigen, (German: “Organization of Former SS Members”)," c/o 10 Avenida de Mayo, Buenos Aires, Argentina. Ask for Herr, sorry Senor, Arturo Hilter. Giving full details of exactly when, where, unit & rank of said dead German. Please also ensure to state if it was First or Second class Iron Cross as 2.5 million 2nd class were given out & a mere 300,000 of the 1st class awarded! :)
  5. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Is the ring for attaching the ribbon still there? That is where the manufacturers number is, you may have missed it....
  6. What sort of Iron Cross is it? 2nd Class, 1st Class or Knights Cross.
  7. I don't understand why the OP feels uncomfortable owning a bit of tin? Is it because the Iron Cross is classed as a piece of Nazi memorabilia and the OP doesn't want to own something that he associates with the horror of the holocaust?

Or because it reminds him of what a thieving **** his grandad was?
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Is it WW1 or WW2?
  9. Thank you for all the amusing replies.

A few answers:

- it is a WW2 Iron Cross Second class - EKII
    - the number on the ring is '123'
    - it is complete with full ribbon which has pin holes in it

I like the auction with proceeds to RBL suggestion. I think I shall do this.

If it turns out it was owned by Garbo then it wasn't my uncle, right, and this thread gets deleted? :)
  10. "Here is an example of an Iron Cross, 2nd Class, maker marked "123" for the firm of Beck, Hassinger, & Company of Sta?burg. What's nice about this particular example is that it represents, to my way of thinking, a complete ensemble with tissue wrapped unissued cross, ribbon with safety pin, and a maker stamped envelope of issue. I hope you enjoy this modest presentation. . ."
  11. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

12. So '123' just indicates the manufacturer then.

Thanks for all the pointers.
  13. I've got the ribbon for one of those, along with the badge indicating that the wearer was awarded an Iron Cross during the first European unpleasantness, and had subsequently been awarded another EK (I think I have that right) - wifes Grandfather liberated it, along with a War Cross, during the 2nd misunderstanding - and he himself was MiD - not sure what for - found his citation in the London Gazette but doesn't give too much detail - he was RASC and supposedly did something at 1 (BR) Army HQ, so presumably services rendered, rather than anything heroic. SWMBO's dad gave the lot to me for safe keeping as he knew I would understand and appreciate them - so his campaign medals are framed with my grandads, although I thought I'd better keep the German stuff in a tin!
  14. Keep it and bribe some old boy with a few pints to wear it at next years rememberance parade. Should be good for a giggle
  15. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Wouldn't it be dreadful if he contacted ODESSA only to have a member on the ODESSA file able to identify his father because of the EK award and come looking for the guy who murdered his father.

Make a great plot for a film that would. I hope nobody already thought of that as a plot for a film.