Irishman shot in US firing range accident

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by flamingo, Oct 6, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Oh dear...

I know that the Sten / SMG could fire if left cocked and knocked - dropped. In my ignorance, I didn't think that automatic pistols could?

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/irishman-shot-in-us-firing-range-accident-1904971.html
    Edited to add: More detail here...
    http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/9mm-malfunctions-at-lakeland-gun-range-shoots-three-people/1041591

2. Any weapon can fire inadvertantly in the hands of an idiot.

It is unlikely to be a design flaw in the weapon, more likely that there is an operator induced fault with the weapon.

3. not an accident gun wasn't point down rage idiot :x

4. my money is on a 1911 with a stoned down sear...

(done by an idiot)

5. it would seem that the Jennings 9mm is not the best of pistols,a cheap pistol, for' folks who can't afford anything better","known to send it's slide down range with it's bullet" according to the Firearms Forum I googled as I'd actually never heard of it!

6. Apparently it was brought home from Iraq by their son.

7. The couple who owned the gun didn't seem overcome with mortification about someone else being shot in the neck.

8. I know that part of FL quite well - it's more redneck than retirement.

9. Jennings (Bryco) went bust aftter a $22m lawsuit from a person injured by an ND with one of their pistols....
    Maybe there are more idiots involved than the one who owns the pistol....

10. Didn't unload, didn't keep control and didn't keep weapon pointing down range. Been around weapons all their lives.

Makes for very worrying reading even if the weapon has a fault.

11. The weapon has a fault all right-between the owner's ears. Bloody lucky it wasn't between someone else's eyes as well!

12. Correction, it was unloaded via the barrel! 8O

13. The Jennings 9mm is basically crap. Very cheaply made

BRYCO ARMS
    Model Jennings Nine,
    9mm LUGER caliber Semiautomatic Pistol

WARNING: These pistols may create an EXTREMELY DANGEROUS CONDITION and a POTENTIAL FOR SERIOUS INJURY by firing without pulling the trigger.

During the testing of a Bryco Arms, Jennings Nine pistol by a forensic firearms examiner it was noted that it would fire upon release of the thumb safety and spontaneously fire in a FULL AUTO MODE on an inconsistent basis. When loaded with the manual thumb safety in the “safe” position, if the trigger of the submitted firearm has been pulled stiffly a few times, the firearm will discharge when the thumb safety is moved to the “fire” position.

Disassembly of the pistol revealed some wear/damage to the sear which allows slight downward movement when the trigger is pulled. It appears due to the wear/damage the sear/striker engagement is reduced allowing the striker to override the sear after the thumb safety is released.

MANUALLY UNLOADING THIS PISTOL MAY BE VERY DANGEROUS SINCE IT COULD DISCHARGE DURING THIS PROCEDURE.

Source:

AFTE Journal, Spring 2001; Volume 33, Number 2:145-147
    Illinois State Police Laboratory, Springfield - Notice, December 7, 2000

BRYCO ARMS
    MODEL JENNINGS NINE,
    9MM LUGER CALIBER, SEMIAUTOMATIC PISTOL

WARNING: The Bryco Arms, model Jennings Nine, 9mm Luger caliber, semiautomatic pistol is subject to accidental discharge. The pistol MAGAZINE SAFETY is subject to FAILURE when the trigger is pulled and the magazine release button is depressed simultaneously. When this occurs the pistol will fire even though the magazine has been removed from the pistol.

Source:

AFTE Journal, Summer 1999; Volume 31, Number 3:379-381

Bryco/Jennings has at least 3 recall notices on this garbage

14. Probably bad Journo, US Mil Pers. arent allowed to bring Civilian firearms back from Iraq or Afghanistan. Centcom Gen Ord 1 covers it.

My Guess is Pawn Shop outside the base he landed CONUS at.

15. Touchingly uxorious - he visited the mem before leaving hospital...prince amongst men but with the weapon handling skills of Baron Shortt!