Irish War of Independence centenary

It's a wonder the local historians haven't salvaged it as a monument of some sort.
I think because the location is too dangerous Gary.
There is no tradition of accessing the inter-tidal mudflats to my knowledge and the whole place is probably a Ramsar treaty site. There is a B-17 Prop in the garden of the Innishowen Museum and Planetarium on the other side of the lough (up opposite Magilligan). Perversely, that was recoverable because it was permanently underwater and therefore accessible by boat.

The driving force behind the campaign was Dr William Maloney, a Scottish WW1 veteran who had earned an MC at Gallipoli. Many of the women were actually paid to do the picketing as Maloney wanted good-looking young women being harrassed by the authorities, not toothless mothers of ten.
Looks like he was conned out of his money then going by the stunner in the top photo.

There was also a little village hall near or in Keady where you got some really good singing, mostly youngsters. it floated out into the night, wonderful stuff. they also had an accomplished girl accordionist. They didn't seem to mind us listening in on summer evenings. As a Welshman, yes! it was very much appreciated.
Was it the old Irish favourites they were singing like: 'Come Out Ye Black and Tans' which I must admit has a very catchy tune. If they were playing 'The Star of the County Down' all is forgiven.

There was also a little village hall near or in Keady where you got some really good singing, mostly youngsters. it floated out into the night, wonderful stuff. they also had an accomplished girl accordionist. They didn't seem to mind us listening in on summer evenings. As a Welshman, yes! it was very much appreciated.
How near Keady?

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
How near Keady?
I only remember that it was a wooden hut to the south, and the girls were some sort of local small organisation. I am sorry, but it was a long time ago.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
No problem. Could you see the village from the hut?
Yes you could, the hut, as I remember was alongside a side road. I remember the occasion so well, if not the actual location.

Last edited:
And I get flak for straying into the Civil War.
I quite like the occasional diversions from the thread topic, I've thrown in a few myself.
It's not like I'm busy at the moment.o_O

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
Was it the old Irish favourites they were singing like: 'Come Out Ye Black and Tans' which I must admit has a very catchy tune. If they were playing 'The Star of the County Down' all is forgiven.
It was very often the old favourite in that area: "There's one fair county in Ireland, the County of Armagh."

Last edited:
2 April 1920

1st Bn, Manchester Regiment, commanded by Lt Col Gareth Evans, arrived in Cork. They will be posted in Fermoy and Kilworth.

Conditions in Derry Jail were described as pandemonium following an influx of prisoners from Donegal.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
The Name Gareth Evans rings a bell! Was he a Royal Welsh Fusilier, transferred to the Manchester Regt, and later captured and executed by the IRA, I remember while at the Recruit Depot, his farewell letter, written about that time, being read out at a Regimental History lesson.
He was a Regular officer, The Ist Manchester was a Regular bn, so it may well be? otherwise I'm creating a massive Red Herring!

Last edited:
3 April 1920

Sir Hamar Greenwood was appointed Chief Secretary of Ireland replacing Sir Ian Macpherson.

Ireland lost their final game of the Five Nations to France 15-7 and collected the Wooden Spoon in the process.

Last edited:
The Name Gareth Evans rings a bell! Was he a Royal Welsh Fusilier, transferred to the Manchester Regt, and later captured and executed by the IRA, I remember while at the Recruit Depot, his farewell letter, written about that time, being read out at a Regimental History lesson.
He was a Regular officer, The Ist Manchester was a Regular bn, so it may well be? otherwise I'm creating a massive Red Herring!
You may be thinking of Major Compton-Smith

Latest Threads