Irish War of Independence centenary

By that cretin Barton? Don't make me laugh...

If I wanted your advice, I'd ask for it numbnuts.
I'll give it to you when I have few moments from teaching ... that's right .... History ... out of big books with lots of wordy words.

By the way, I do not possess nuts to become numb, ergo my IQ was not arrested at the same time yours dropped.

Thats some serious rose tinting of O'Albania!

Law and order? Its a very violent country, very.
Stable democracy? Its politicians make Mafia Dons look like paragons of civic virtue.
I once read a fascinating Europol report on Irish OCGs, which likened their structure to that of the Scilian and Neapolitan Mafia.

I'll give it to you when I have few moments from teaching ... that's right .... History ... out of big books with lots of wordy words.

By the way, I do not possess nuts to become numb, ergo my IQ was not arrested at the same time yours dropped.
If you believe Barton, you clearly don't have an IQ in the first place.

Mike Barton

War Hero
Thats some serious rose tinting of O'Albania!

Law and order? Its a very violent country, very.
Stable democracy? Its politicians make Mafia Dons look like paragons of civic virtue.
Demonstrably untrue.

There are statistics, you can check these things, Ireland has one of the lowest crime rates in the world. It is far from being "a very violent country, very". Canada, Finland, Norway, none of which are noted for their high levels of violent crime, have higher murder rates than Ireland. Ireland is only one of four countries in the world where the police regularly go unarmed.

Political stability? Almost a century of unbroken, parliamentary democracy with regular free and fair elections. No invasions or wars, no coup d'etats, no revolutions or genocides, unlike most of the rest of Europe.

I don't know which Ireland you've been living in, independent Ireland is a peaceful, law-abiding, well-ordered, stable, developed and relatively prosperous democracy.

The British-administered part of Ireland on the other hand is a shit-hole by any of the above standards.

ACAB

LE
2 December 1919

H.V. McNamara, a landlord in Co. Clare headed off for a day of shooting with some friends, amongst whom were some British army officers and a Lady Beatrice O’Brien. The local IRA battalion ambushed the shooting party with the intention of relieving them of their shotguns. The attack took place at a crossroads in Sessiaghmore where a barricade was erected across the road to bring the shooting party to a halt. At about 9 a.m. the cars reached the cross-roads and stopped in front of the barricade. The occupants were ordered to put up their hands and surrender their guns. The hunters replied with a volley of shots and then took cover in a nearby cottage. A twenty minute shootout began which ended as the IRA ran out of ammo. Three of the seven ambushers were wounded- Commandant Peadar O’Loghlen was wounded near the eye, Paddy Ward, in the back of the head and Austin Geraghty in the shoulder and arm. Every member of the hunting party was wounded including Lady Beatrice who according to accounts played a blinder on the day. Happily she recovered and lived to the age of 93.

The occupant of the cottage was charged in connection with the ambush although he was not involved in the attack. He was acquitted at his trial.

Demonstrably untrue.

There are statistics, you can check these things, Ireland has one of the lowest crime rates in the world. It is far from being "a very violent country, very". Canada, Finland, Norway, none of which are noted for their high levels of violent crime, have higher murder rates than Ireland. Ireland is only one of four countries in the world where the police regularly go unarmed.

Political stability? Almost a century of unbroken, parliamentary democracy with regular free and fair elections. No invasions or wars, no coup d'etats, no revolutions or genocides, unlike most of the rest of Europe.

I don't know which Ireland you've been living in, independent Ireland is a peaceful, law-abiding, well-ordered, stable, developed and relatively prosperous democracy.

The British-administered part of Ireland on the other hand is a shit-hole by any of the above standards.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Meanwhile, in the real world outside your head

7 December 1919
44487 Pte George Rose, 2nd Bn, The Border Regiment died after accidentally shooting himself in the leg at Ballinrobe, Co. Mayo. Rose was 18 years old and from Canning Town, London. He is interred in East London Cemetery.

Excuse me for the delay in replying but I had to dry out my keyboard from the mug of tea that I snorted all over it when I read that.

The northern protestants were not going to let that happen to them? No, because they were too busy doing it to themselves.

Whence comes this notion that the South was a priest-ridden, child-molesting hellhole while the North was virtuous and free? The both states were a mirror image of each other.

The Unionist community was riven with paedos and buggers, from top to bottom. Unionist MPs made up a charmed circle of pooftahs who were only too happy to help themselves to the boys of their local schools, scout groups and rugby clubs, if they could get past the teachers first. The Kincora Boys Home is notorious, but it was only the tip of the iceberg. Belfast was totty central for upper class politicians, civil servants, army officers and businessmen (a few royals too I believe) looking for a bit of rough trade.

The loyalist gangs were led by notorious paedos, even the chief child psychologist in Belfast's famous Royal Victoria Hospital was in the game, never mind the scout masters, sports club leaders and randy prelates. These things are easily googled if you want the full gory details.

And as for corruption, that's a laugh. Try going around to your local RUC station to report a crime against a leading Orangeman or Freemason, see how far that got you, and if you still had a job the next week.

No one is doubting the abuse that took place in the South but for Unionists in the North to point the finger is absurd beyond laughable.
Especially considering the (Catholic) Republic now has same sex marriage and abortion.... and NI has neither

Especially considering the (Catholic) Republic now has same sex marriage and abortion.... and NI has neither
If I am following this correctly you are weighing in the side of @Mike Barton against @PhotEx. In all seriousness, before the thread progresses any further I'd like to just have a go at clarifying a few issues. Hopefully for everyones benefit, including mine becuse if the following is not correct I have got the wrong end of a couple of sticks.

Mike, if I recall correctly, has told us that he comes from a Unionist background but is (too put it mildly) disenchanted with those of that background. Photex on the other hand seems to hail from the ROI, to have been educated in the ROI by some branch of the Catholic Church and has issues with those who educated him. Mike has (I think) taken Photex to task for being a unionist hypocitically criticising the ROI.

@PhotEx and @Mike Barton have I managed to precis your backgrounds correctly?

Demonstrably untrue.

Okay, unless your name is Hutch or Kinehan .

2 December 1919

H.V. McNamara, a landlord in Co. Clare headed off for a day of shooting with some friends, amongst whom were some British army officers and a Lady Beatrice O’Brien. The local IRA battalion ambushed the shooting party with the intention of relieving them of their shotguns. The attack took place at a crossroads in Sessiaghmore where a barricade was erected across the road to bring the shooting party to a halt. At about 9 a.m. the cars reached the cross-roads and stopped in front of the barricade. The occupants were ordered to put up their hands and surrender their guns. The hunters replied with a volley of shots and then took cover in a nearby cottage. A twenty minute shootout began which ended as the IRA ran out of ammo. Three of the seven ambushers were wounded- Commandant Peadar O’Loghlen was wounded near the eye, Paddy Ward, in the back of the head and Austin Geraghty in the shoulder and arm. Every member of the hunting party was wounded including Lady Beatrice who according to accounts played a blinder on the day. Happily she recovered and lived to the age of 93.

The occupant of the cottage was charged in connection with the ambush although he was not involved in the attack. He was acquitted at his trial.
Are there any eyewitness accounts on line?

If I am following this correctly you are weighing in the side of @Mike Barton against @PhotEx. In all seriousness, before the thread progresses any further I'd like to just have a go at clarifying a few issues. Hopefully for everyones benefit, including mine becuse if the following is not correct I have got the wrong end of a couple of sticks.

Mike, if I recall correctly, has told us that he comes from a Unionist background but is (too put it mildly) disenchanted with those of that background. Photex on the other hand seems to hail from the ROI, to have been educated in the ROI by some branch of the Catholic Church and has issues with those who educated him. Mike has (I think) taken Photex to task for being a unionist hypocitically criticising the ROI.

@PhotEx and @Mike Barton have I managed to precis your backgrounds correctly?
1575752971490.png
;)

Latest Threads