Irish War of Independence centenary

I'll always remember something sad to me by a chap I used to work with. Both his parents were from the ould country. He said, "Never be fooled by all of that beer-and-the-craic, backslapping bonhomie. There's a very dark side to the Irish".

Just finished it, thought it was very good, showed the positive and negative aspects of all sides fairly and impartially.
Series #1 which deals with the Easter Rebellion has now been joined on Netflix by series #2 which seems to be on the terrorist campaign and the eventual truce.

It seems likely that they'll do a third series on the conflict between the Treaty and Anti-treaty forces.

Series #1 which deals with the Easter Rebellion has now been joined on Netflix by series #2 which seems to be on the terrorist campaign and the eventual truce.

It seems likely that they'll do a third series on the conflict between the Treaty and Anti-treaty forces.
Even though I'm from the Emerald Isle I was surprised how much I learnt from the Series and how much I knew but had to be reminded about! It's also interesting that these events were pretty much ignored by the current two governments on these islands as those few years laid the foundations of British Counter Insurgency campaigns and eventual withdrawal from Empire, the NI troubles as well as political relations in these islands and eventually the whole Brexit process.

A great Series, showed the negative and positive motivations of all sides. Next Series should be interesting......

ugly

LE
Interestingly had WW1 not started Home rule was on the cards, the so called Loyalists would have been the problem. A shame the Beastly Hun couldn't hold off for a year or two!

Interestingly had WW1 not started Home rule was on the cards, the so called Loyalists would have been the problem. A shame the Beastly Hun couldn't hold off for a year or two!
If Home rule for Ireland & Scotland had been implemented the Scottish & Irish Rgts would still have went abroad alongside their Welsh & English units of the BEF

ugly

LE
If Home rule for Ireland & Scotland had been implemented the Scottish & Irish Rgts would still have went abroad alongside their Welsh & English units of the BEF
I agree, I didn't know home rule was for the sweaties too!

I thought that the second series was weak, compared to the first. The sets were nice, and at least they'd improved the uniforms (they even got the right regiment operating in the Dublin area!), but there were too many unanswered questions regarding the characters from the first series who didn't make it into the second. No mention of NI, either.

@angular Yip - I did get a bit lost sometimes but that could be old age. Hopefully we may get more of NI in the third series.

For me Mount Street was underplayed but I suppose production costs were to blame; I did like the part were the Woosters wanted to go around but the Castle insisted they kept on straight.

They have brought out a number of things such as both BA and Rebels shooting unarmed looters, and the number of Irish troops used to crush the rebellion.

It seems to have been more like devolution than independence, that was on offer and in 1914 that wasn't acceptable to a minority of the Irish Volunteers. Defence would have been controlled by Whitehall.

The majority of the Irish Volunteers, those who were most amenable to a negotiated resolution of the Home Rule issue, went off with the British Army to fight at Redmond's behest. An unanticipated effect of WW1 was that the more hawkish elements were left in control in Ireland.

Heard in conversation with an Irish friend,

'God, that's the worst idea since Mrs. De Valera said, 'It's going to be a long weekend, why don't you go round and visit that nice Mr. Pearse?" '

It seems to have been more like devolution than independence, that was on offer and in 1914 that wasn't acceptable to a minority of the Irish Volunteers. Defence would have been controlled by Whitehall.

The majority of the Irish Volunteers, those who were most amenable to a negotiated resolution of the Home Rule issue, went off with the British Army to fight at Redmond's behest. An unanticipated effect of WW1 was that the more hawkish elements were left in control in Ireland.
I was alluding more to the point that prewar raised rgts were already established/ integrated into bdes+ divs while wartime btns supplemented their 1st+2nd btns

Home Rule wasn’t to be independence. It was devolution.

The Ulster Volunteers was formed to prevent Home Rule by force, in response the Irish Volunteers was formed to prevent it.

Heard in conversation with an Irish friend,

'God, that's the worst idea since Mrs. De Valera said, 'It's going to be a long weekend, why don't you go round and visit that nice Mr. Pearse?" '
Pearse believed in the “blood sacrifice” in order get independence

I was alluding more to the point that prewar raised rgts were already established/ integrated into bdes+ divs while wartime btns supplemented their 1st+2nd btns
I
I wasn't disagreeing, but just throwing in another relevant bit of trivia.

The Reserve battalions supplemented the 1st and 2nd battalions early in the war. By 1917 the prewar reservists were virtually all gone. By a twist of fate some of these reserve battalions were stationed in Dublin and fought in the Easter Rising. On the other hand a Reserve Battalion could be used as a service battalion as happened to the 5th Royal Irish Regiment which served in 10th (Irish) Division.

Many battalions raised for war service went into the New Army Divisions. For instance the 16th (Irish) Division included 6th (Service) Battalion, Royal Irish Regiment. Later in the war the South Irish Horse was converted to infantry and became the 7th (Service) Battalion, Royal Irish Regiment.

17 March 1919

Michael Collins pulled off another jailbreak, springing Robert Barton from Mountjoy Prison in Dublin. Barton was born in Co Wicklow into a wealthy, Protestant land-owning family. He was a cousin and close friend of Robert Erskine Childers who would later be executed during the Civil War. Barton was educated at Rugby and Oxford and, at the outbreak of the First World War he was commissioned in the Royal Dublin Fusiliers. He fought in Dublin during the 1916 Rising and his contact with some of the leaders at Richmond Barracks, converted him to republicanism. After the executions of the leaders of the Rising he resigned his commission. He was elected MP for Sinn Féin in West Wicklow in the 1918 General Election. In February 1919 he was arrested for sedition and held in Mountjoy. Collins had a file smuggled into the prison and Barton used it to escape from his cell in 17th March. Volunteers outside threw a rope over the prison wall and then held a blanket for Barton to jump into from the top of the wall.

Last edited:

Latest Threads