Irish War of Independence centenary...and The Truce

I recall a song that was popular on the bus trips of my youth being "We're On the One Road". One lad, a diehard Chuck would refuse to sing it, saying it was "the Free State song".
You were missing a lot from Belfast though weren't you. What is a Chuck?

We're on the one road
Sharing the one load
We're on the road to God knows where
We're on the one road
It may be the wrong road
But we're together now who cares
North men, South men, comrades all
Dublin, Belfast, Cork and Donegal
We're on the one road swinging along
Singing a soldier's song

We're on the one road
Sharing the one load
We're on the one road
It may be the wrong road
Singing a soldier's song

Never heard it but from the context I’m guessing from Tiocfaidh ár lá ?

We're on the one road
Sharing the one load
We're on the one road
It may be the wrong road
Singing a soldier's song
Never heard it but from the context I’m guessing from Tiocfaidh ár lá ?
I think it was written to encourage national unity during WW2. That sort of thing.

We're on the one road - Wolfe Tones
Did they write it? That certainly blows the Free State theory out of the water.

A Chuck, or Chuckie, is indeed a devotee of the Provisional Republican Movement and yes the term is derived from their motto. I am surprised no one has heard of it. Quite popular in Derry certainly, it described a certain type of uber-Provo, the one who sang the loudest in the pub and always had the latest season Celtic shirt. These days they are to be seen snorting cocaine at Hunger Strike commemoration events and boasting about their three-storey villa in Bulgaria, all paid for by the British government through the "peace" quango they are in charge of.

(* A joke I posted on another thread elsewhere, seems appropriate to repost here:

Two blokes wandering the streets of Glasgow one night desperately looking to find a party for a late-night swalley. Hearing the sounds of music they come to one house and arrive to find a come all'ye in full swing. However being of the Ibrox persuasion they note pictures of the Pope on the wall and the martyrs of 1916 so decide to keep their heads down. Alas they are spotted and called upon to oblige the company. One lad turns to the other and says

"you're the great singer, give 'em a wee number,"

"aw feck" says the other "sure I only know two songs and one of them's The Sash,"

"fer the luvva Christ dinnae be singin' The Sash here, wha's the other one?"

"it's a wee song called The Cry,"

"The Cry? That sounds nice, give 'em that one,"

"awright here goes, 'The Cry...was NAE SURRENDER!!!!'"

Ah, I see my taxi has arrived)
I think your joke has been recycled into the script of T2 Trainspotting.
Sick Boy and Renton had gone into some Orange Order do to steal debit cards (all the PINs were 1690) and were collared for a song.

and boasting about their three-storey villa in Bulgaria, all paid for by the British government through the "peace" quango they are in charge of.
So a United Ireland would put a lot of ardent republicans - the T.A.L. boys out of a job and destroy their buisness model. Who would have thought it. Blame the evil perfidous Brits no doubt.

Did they write it? That certainly blows the Free State theory out of the water.

A Chuck, or Chuckie, is indeed a devotee of the Provisional Republican Movement and yes the term is derived from their motto. I am surprised no one has heard of it. Quite popular in Derry certainly, it described a certain type of uber-Provo, the one who sang the loudest in the pub and always had the latest season Celtic shirt. These days they are to be seen snorting cocaine at Hunger Strike commemoration events and boasting about their three-storey villa in Bulgaria, all paid for by the British government through the "peace" quango they are in charge of.

I was correct then

never heard it but makes sense

I think your joke has been recycled into the script of T2 Trainspotting.
Sick Boy and Renton had gone into some Orange Order do to steal debit cards (all the PINs were 1690) and were collared for a song.

That reminds me of an Alexei Sayle sketch where his new boss is showing him around the office and tells him that the code to the door pin pad is 1474.

Sayle reacts violently to this and says it should be changed as the Treaty of Utrecht is the first thing that a burglar would think of.

Last edited:
Not being a expert on local folk music, I have to ask to all those reading this thread.
How many of you grew up listening to singing at family occasions, that were historically significant.
We were taught many such songs in school. And certainly there were records and tapes of Rebel songs everywhere. They are still quite popular.

29 July 1921

Ellen Beirne died when she was hit by a military lorry in Mohill, Co. Leitrim.

Cathal Brugha wrote to Mrs. Benson confirming that the IRA had killed her sister, Mrs Lindsay, the previous March.

A court in Dublin was informed that the military did not intend to comply with the writ of habeas corpus issued by Sir Charles O’Connor. O’Connor issued writs of attachment against Generals Macready and Strickland to have them brought before a judge for Contempt of Court.

Last edited:
A Chuck, or Chuckie, is indeed a devotee of the Provisional Republican Movement and yes the term is derived from their motto. I am surprised no one has heard of it. Quite popular in Derry certainly, it described a certain type of uber-Provo, the one who sang the loudest in the pub and always had the latest season Celtic shirt

ISTR it being used by a few PUL types.

There have been a few songs about the Civil War that i know of:

Anti-Treaty

"Take it down from the mast
"- About the executions of O'Connor,Mellows, and two anti-Treaty officers
A few years back there was a report about Avril Doyle, a senior Fine Gael politician, asking that her local church stop flying the Papal flag and the Irish tricolour in its grounds during her daughter's wedding, as she felt them to be inappropriate.

The report was headlined "Take it Down From the Mast".

Ouch!

30 July 1921

Michael McInerney died, age 21, in Miller Hospital, London. McInerney was an IRA Volunteer in A Company, London Battalion. He had been injured in an accidental explosion in a bomb making factory in South Street, Greenwich on July 28th. Cecil Nolan and Michael Kelly survived the accident and left London for Dublin.

The court room drama over the cases of Misters Clifford and Egan came to an and when the court was informed that the men had been released from custody on the advice of Sir John Ross, Lord Chancellor of Ireland. Ross made the decision not on legal grounds but to preserve the fragile Truce.

Brugha sent a highly critical letter, using strident language, to Collins over the handling of a case of a businessman called Robbie who had been banished from Ireland by the IRA on incorrect information.

Latest Threads