Irish Wake To Be Outlawed ?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by tomahawk6, Apr 10, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sod it. We will just have to use Jamesons or Bushmills instead :D
  2. Some of the practises and rituals stated in that article are a bit out of date to say the least - they sound like they come from my grand-parents time (circa Angela's Ashes generation). In my family's experience (Southern Irish Catholic), the deceased should be buried within two days of dying; prior to that, after preparation, the body is laid in a coffin in the funeral parlour or deceased's home for a period of time during which people to come and pay their respects to the family of the deceased and there may be tea, whiskey, biscuits and cake laid out for those who've travelled a long way. It's then moved to the church where family members will stay with it during the intervening period till mass in the morning/afternoon. The wake proper doesn't start till after the funeral service and the body has been buried - then everyone heads to the designated pub and gets on it big time!
  3. I would agree with that. I certainly can't remember any of my female family members keening. I can remember them partaking of lots of falling down water after the burial though.

Traditionally, only males attended the mass and burial. That is something else that isn't followed these days.
  4. My late uncle was waked in '86, and there were keeners present, but it lasted nowhere near a week (I wouldn't think that anyone has been waked for a week in Ireland since 1900). If memory serves, the deceased is laid out (with coins over the eyes) surrounded by immediate family members and prayers are said. Mourners can then move past the open casket - though the deceased can simply be laid out on their bed. The removal will then take place, followed by the burial service the following day. Only then can the wake itself properly take place, and even then it amounts to little more than a tea and cakes session, with proportionally little hard drink.

I would say that the only instances today that equate to the waking of the type described in the Telegraph article take place amongst Travellers.
  5. I agree most of those practices seem a little dated. But funeral directors are still keen to emablm the body to ensure it doesn't smell in those 3 days after death and before the burial.

6. From what my da telt me, pregnant women weren't allowed to attend the wake, although my family have less genetic variation than your average European Royal (sans class or cash) so that's probably very old fashioned.
  7. Think the ritual varies depending upon which part of Ireland you're in. In Dongal it goes something like; Body bathed, dressed and put in coffin which is laid out in the bedroom (no coins on the eyes that I've seen). Keening does go on. Lots of rosaries by the womenfolk whilst the menfolk drink lakes of tea, and whiskey. Hundreds of sandwiches are consumed. Body lies in wake for three or four days and then it's six feet under and off to the pub for an unmerciful booze up. Personally I think Irish funerals are more fun than weddings. You have to be careful though, you could end up in a Tee-totalers house (I think they still exist) and that's just a morale vortex.
  8. Andy sadly this will not be possible as, and I quote, " In light of the recent passing of one of Ireland's famous sons, Georgie Best, Irish Whiskey is to be outlawed inder an EU directive. The directive, which would come into effect in September, aims to withdraw whiskeys such as Paddy, Red Breast, Bushmills and Lidl's Finest Irish Turps, which are capable of destroying living organisms."

I rest my case M'Lud
  9. Nooooooooooooooo they can't outlaw Red Breast!!!!!!! :x That elixir really is the 'water of life'.
  10. Such a load of bollix, how dare the EU try and tell my country how to celebrate peoples life and honour our dead. Granted the tradition is not as common as it used to be but I know of several families who practice this tradition. Who the feck are the EU to sh*t on our traditions and beliefs? I didn't sign on for this.
  11. The only whiskey that should be drunk is Black Bush...Mmmmm
  12. I quite enjoy the old Black Bush too Rab. Have you tried Red Breast though? If you haven't it's well worth a punt.

Do they still do the distillery tours at Bushmills? It's great being poured back on the bus at the end :lol:
  13. Haven't you heard HavocIRL, but tradition and belief are the ultimate bogeymen for the EU? According to their thinking, such nasty, reactionary ideas are responisble for every thing bad that ever happened...ever (i.e. the Great Flood, the Crusades, the First and Second World Wars, Poverty, Hunger, bad weather...).
  14. Ahh Black Bush me ballix. It's a drop of John Jameson's finest you'll want.

Never been a fan of the Bush range generally... Although I'm unlikely to say no if offered one.