Irish troops to Afghanistan?

Discussion in 'Ireland (ie. Irish Defence Force)' started by flamingo, Aug 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Irish troops may be asked to serve in Afghanistan if they are withdrawn from Chad, according to a report in today's Irish Independent:

There is a discussion about it on Irish Military Online, with a large number in favour of it, but sceptical about whether it would come off due to political will and logistics

Anybody on here have any thoughts? As somebody who will not be called on to deploy by any army, I'd rather not be seen as saying "Yea, great, go put yourself in harms way, I'll keep the place tidy while you're gone".

edited due to mong spelling
  2. I know one the the lads there right now. Although not in the t'ick of it in Helmand still making a contribution. Many of the lads would fancy a trip down south but the ask goes back to Dub' not up the coridoor.
    There will not be a 'fighting' element to the Irish involvement, there is not the capacity in the orbat to do it.
    Its a statement of fact not a knock of the willingness of the Irish soldiers by the way.
    (Take care C G if you read this)
  3. Turning into quite they hot topic on IMO as it happens.