Irish SAR Tender

If they do get it. It will all end in tears before bedtime. (again) If they had been able to fulfill the reasonably simple task of providing 24/7 top cover it would be something positive. And leave the actual SAR to those who know what they're doing. So if by some improbable chance they do get it, they will end up not being able to man it properly, and it will all end up like the CN 235 debacle. (My opinion only ;) )

best advice: stay away...stay far, far away.....then stay away some more. The Dauphin was an over weight folly and of course, we bought the Mark 1 and became a default test-cell for Aerospatiale. The AC doesnt have the manpower (all ranks and grades), the infrastructure,the corporate knowledge of SAR is gone and it could never be as efficient or as practical as a civvy outfit.

To be fair to the Dauphin, there was an overpowered variant that would have been more suitable for the mission kit ( SA361H with 1500shp Astazou ) but the IAC chose the sexy retractable-gear 365 with less power and more lard.

Anyway as Stovepipe says the IAC have lost the skills and procedures for maritime SAR, and also no longer have the King Airs that could provide long-range search and control. Though I'm of the opinion that SAR should be a national responsibility I don't see how they can build back up to the required competence without a big infusion of time and money. So pretty sure it'll go to a private contractor again

Some of those who were there at the time of selecting the airframe for the Alouette replacement as a SAR aircraft wanted the Lynx,as it already was in widespread use, was ship proven,fast,big enough for at least 2 stretcher cases and had the potential for upgrade. Aerospatiale lured them in with beads and trinkets and the aeronautical equivalent of "of course I'll love you in the morning" which turned out to really mean " I'll **** you long time!",which they duly did and the fat arse Dauphin proved to be the jack of no trades and the master of none. CHC appears to be the only game in town.

this situation has come about because massive amounts of money is being thrown at CHC to provide a service which the State will have nothing to show for it at the end. When there are people who could do the job and more if given half the money.

do I agree with it, only if additional personnel (with a huge pay hike), resources and aircraft are forthcoming from Government.

...for which the State, in time honoured fashion, is paying a mint for. Slagging off CHC for being expensive is a bit much when 2 Casas are costing hundreds of millions for a service contract that ties them by the short and curlies to one supplier.

...for which the State, in time honoured fashion, is paying a mint for. Slagging off CHC for being expensive is a bit much when 2 Casas are costing hundreds of millions for a service contract that ties them by the short and curlies to one supplier.
I’m not slagging off CHC, they just happen to have the contract now, they will have received € 0.5 BILLION for providing an excellent service for which the State receives no assets at the end of the 10 year and will have made a profit.

This was the same State that got rid of the AC pilot retention scheme in 2010 that cost less than €1 MILLION annually and kept expensively trained & experienced pilots in the AC... the effect was a massive loss of experienced aircrew so much so that we have had to send aircrew to Australia and the US to train.

the AC could do the job equally as well for less if the resources were provided. That isn’t an AC decision that is a Government decision.

It is reported that there was a 300 page submission from GOC AC stating what would be required (including new aircraft, more crews etc).

the other difference of course is that when the AC did SAR it was funded from the Defence budget and Dept of Defence were in charge of facilities, aircraft etc. Amazing how Dept of Transport were willing to fund it to such a massive amount when they were made responsible for providing the service.

same way as AC will be tied to Airbus as the State are currently tied to CHC (and who ever replaces them).

I assume CHC are also tied to Sikorsky in same way?