Irish republican Army

Discussion in 'Ireland (ie. Irish Defence Force)' started by sirbhp, Dec 22, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

my granddad was allegedly in the ira in the 1916 uprising. I took his meagre details to a family history fair and went to the Eire Desk. " oh , he must have been one of the other 6 million paddies in the post office that day "
    Of course they were right, however he was a Lt in the Ira as opposed to the free state army in 1919/ 22 and apparently made captain.He was in transport I understand and took burnt out Catholics from Belfast down to Dublin.

He was a friend of the quare feller mike Collins and went to his funeral. with the other six million Dubliners !!

In 1954 he died and received a full military funeral all though he was a civy . so the story goes .

So how do i get hold of his records ? The barracks that used to have them moved them a few years back apparently .
    the problem is that you get a different story for each family branch that you talk to
    Can any one help me sort fact from family please .
    Cheers troops

2. How about you get on with life and not bother - let the IRA disappear into the depths of history as a failure which promised much and thankfully failed to deliver.

3. You missed a bit sirbhp. I know of two other people who tell the same story except their grandfathers had Major Percival (head of British intelligence later in command at Singapore when it fell) in their sights but the gun failed to fire.
    Oddly the story about being in transport came up a lot as well when I lived in Dublin as did the full military funeral. As you said that GPO was very crowded in 1916.
    Even the IRA had/has walts!

• Like Like x 1
  4. My grandfather was not in the IRA, but had has business intimidated by a couple of IRA thugs.

Interesting thing is that this was in Arklow, a sleepy fishing village south of Dublin in the 1960s. They visited and intimidated him for being CoI and not a left footer and told him to leave. They phoned through a bomb-threat, being a POW survivor he passed it off as "a load of nonsense" and told them to get "proper jobs"...the time of the bomb-detonation came and went...he called their bluff, they never bothered him again!!

5. The Free State Army only came into existence in 1922 (it was the (Old) IRA / IRB / ICA / CNB etc) until then.

Never heard of Catholic refugees from NI in that period.

Being one I know that COI are considered left footers.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

• Like Like x 1
  6. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

• Like Like x 1
  7. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

so true , there is a photo of him and three other bods but the person who has it wont do copies or let it out .

8. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

Thanks mate that was very helpful. not.

9. What is a COI?

10. My grandad was in the black and tans ..I'll get him to give your grandad a ring sometime,...bezzers or what?

:)

• Like Like x 5
  11. It's a type of big **** off Japanese gold fish. Only it's evolved a left foot

12. CanteenCowboy

CanteenCowboy LE Book Reviewer

It's a Court Of Inquiry, and when called into an Irish COI you must cross the threshold leading with your left foot, therefor 'leftfooter' someone who has attended a Irish COI (obviously you have to be called, not everybody who goes to watch can be called a leftfooter, otherwise Eire would be full of leftfooters)........................................................

• Like Like x 1
  13. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

Small world. Ms Skids grandad was a well known republican and an adc to James Connolly ( Hey Patrick how the **** do you spell Trotsky?) in those days 16 year old adcs' were posh runners.
    Northerners were never really acknowledged in their 1916 rising. I suppose the Free State health and safety executive measured the interior of the Post Office and said 'Right so far there appears to be 5,000 volunteers who turned up on Easter Monday. We have no room for anyone from the North'. Funny that his rep was well known in Belfast yet there was never any official recognition from the South.
    Of course my grandfather would have cheerfully had him hanged, never having forgiven the peace loving people of the markets for facilitating the throwing of a bomb at his motor.
    One to hold a grudge, the RUC man responsible for holding my father up on the way home with fish suppers for the family was transferred to the border.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using ARRSE mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  14. I used to work with a bloke who was a descendant of the man after whom Dublin named a railway station. He was a nice guy, keen to play down the connection.