Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by shezer, Aug 1, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi there!I was just looking for some info off you guys!
    Im 23 from Cork in Ireland and interested in becoming an officer in the BA.I have done a leaving cert here which is equivalent to your A-levels and am currently in 2nd year of college doin applied chemistry.I was just wondering is there any test you can take to become an officer without having a degree since the conversion from a leaving cert to the a-levels is very grey area when it comes to points?thanks alot
  2. If you're not from the North, you won't have a British passport and so you'd have to do two years as a private soldier before you would be considered for officer selection. You've got a year to go at college, so you'd be 26 before you could go for selection. Add on a year at Sandhurst and you'd be 27, so just about the only people who'd take you would be the education and training branch.

If you're looking at a military career, it might be better to try the PDF.
  3. Thanks lads.PDF is full up at the moment and ive sent an email to the holywood barracks to a colonel !!!Was this site down for a few days
  4. so just about the only people who'd take you would be the education and training branch.

why would only these accept him??
    27 isnt over the hill is it
  5. Lt Col Dick Rafferty's your man at Palace Bks Holywood. Go for it.
  6. Thanks guys.Just for future reference.An irish person who has sat the leaving cert needs 5 grade A-C at higher/honours level...About 320 points or up(irish).It looks like soldier for me so.The conversion is flawed as i am able to go to uni here in ireland and yet cant do officer entry
  7. The Lt Col is the Army Careers Officer for Officers at Holywood if you need a number for him let me know.

27 isnt over the hill. We had guys up to 29 and they all found a home. Off the top of my head at 27 I know guys who went REME, Sigs and RE
  8. Had several interviews with the Lt Col while looking into officer selection. A very intelligent and pleasant man to work with. Give him a call I'm sure he'd be happy to help you.
  9. Does that still apply if you are a graduate?
  10. Being Irish isn't a problem, and doesn't hinder you from becoming an officer directly.

My mucker is 29 and is about to commission into RGR, which in my opinion is far from being over the proverbial hill!

I hold Leaving Cert quals, and it hasn't been a problem in the slightest.
  11. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

What a load of bollocks.
  12. Purple_Flash

Purple_Flash War Hero Moderator

Dia Duit shezer.

Why not finish your degree and then join? It's only another year or so after all and it will mean accelerated promotion for your first few years.

I presume that you could apply to do Army Officer Selection Board now on the presumption that you might join after graduation? There is little point jacking it all in only to fail AOSB after leaving college (let's hope you don't but not everyone passes!)