Irish Officer in British Army

Discussion in 'Officers' started by irishranger, Jan 8, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I’m a University Student from the South of Ireland and I want to join the British Army as an Officer. I’ve done the RCB Briefing (Sponsored by R Irish) and am awaiting a date this year for Main Board. What I’d like to know is how Irish officers/Soldiers are perceived in the British Army. I’m not very political but I am a Catholic, and what views I have tend to reflect my religion and upbringing. Obliviously I am in no way a republican or a supporter of the IRA/SF (I’m a serving Irish Army Reservist) but neither do I subscribe to the Ian Paisley school of Unionism.
    What I want to know is whether this would make life uncomfortable for me in the Army or lead to discrimination, etc, etc.

Can any one offer me advice on this?

Thanks!

2. Hello irishranger!

I don't think you'll suffer any particular abuse because you're Catholic (and if you do, it's only likely to be amongst the more pig ignorant of our Protestant brethren). You will undoubtedly suffer some form of abuse as it seems to be the ligua franca of lot of the male species, but then, I think you will understand that better than I!!

May I suggets you PM Purple_Flash (although he hasn't been on for a while, he's in foreign climes getting v cold at the moment). If you like, PM me, I'll contact him and put the two of you in touch. He's from your neck of the woods and is a jolly nice chap as well.

3. "Kicking with the left foot" should not cause any problems - there are plenty of us around,  even the last CDS (I think).  However, religion tends to be well down the batting order in the bar discussions (well, at least in the early coherent part of the evening).  You would probably have more problems with your choice of football team.

4. woopert

woopert LE Moderator

with GGG on this. I too begin my worship with Introibo ad altare Dei ad que laetificat juventutuum meum and lead with the left foot. Never had any problem with that frankly.

Joining a mess means dealing with and getting on with all kinds of people. The main criteria for getting on with it (IMHO) are:

1. Is he up for a good laugh at the right time;
    2. If he borrows my kit will I get it back;
    3. Does he stand a round of drinks;
    4. Does he have a good looking sister with loose morals and a thing for men in uniform

Expect to get some stick for being a "boggy" but all in all you won't get any harder time than anyone else.

5. Oh, and if you happen to have a handsome older brother/cousin/second cousin/ friend/doctor/milkman/whatever, please can you bring him over too?!! Unfortunately, you are far too young for me my sweet, or me and the girls would be arranging a welcoming party as I type.............. ;) ::)

6. I too am a bog-trotter, currently serving and as long as you can take the stick after every Ireland v England rugby match then there should be no real probs.

As for being a fenian, left footer or mick again there is no real biggotry just some leg pulling from your fellow countrymen who are not "cannibals" and do not follow the anti-Christ (if you believe Big Ian)!

More than happy to talk off line if you wish.  Good luck!

7. If you're sticking with R Irish, you'll be in good company.  You certainly won't be the first from your neck of the woods to join the regt.  Granted, the vast majority of "southerners" (term includes even those from N Donegal!) can be found with the 1st Batt.  However, the odd one or two have been known to grace the other three, (less glamorous though undoubtedly harder working!) battalions.  Should you find yourself amongst ourselves in the hillbilly militia, fear not.  Rumours of us eating catholics are untrue.  Our battalion chefs have been unable to get them, be they dried or frozen, for years now.  While you will certainly get stick about where you're from, as Woopert mentioned, there's plenty of other factors on which opinions of yourself by others will be considered.  Ultimately, as long as you're not a complete w***er in the mess, have half an idea of what you should be doing, and show at least a passing interest in football, you'll get along just grand with both fellow officers and your troops.  Good luck.
    Faugh a ballagh!

8. If you're sticking with R Irish, you'll be in good company.  You certainly won't be the first from your neck of the woods to join the regt.  Granted, the vast majority of "southerners" (term includes even those from N Donegal!) can be found with the 1st Batt.  However, the odd one or two have been known to grace the other three, (less glamorous though undoubtedly harder working!) battalions.  Should you find yourself amongst ourselves in the hillbilly militia, fear not.  Rumours of us eating catholics are untrue.  Our battalion chefs have been unable to get them, be they dried or frozen, for years now.  While you will certainly get stick about where you're from, as Woopert mentioned, there's plenty of other factors on which opinions of yourself by others will be considered.  Ultimately, as long as you're not a complete w***er in the mess, have half an idea of what you should be doing, and show at least a passing interest in football, you'll get along just grand with both fellow officers and your troops.  Good luck.
    Faugh a ballagh!

9. Purple_Flash

Purple_Flash War Hero Moderator

Why thank you Prodigal - I owe you lunch and you still think I'm nice!  Must have made a big impression.... ;-)

Anyhow, I do get online occassionally but not as often as my social life would like!

Now young Ranger, I am most glad to see that you intend to join a proper regiment - I am hoping for a posting to 1 R Irish soon.  When I was at school in Dublin the CO of the Rangers as was used to come down every year for a bit of quiet recruiting, so there are plenty of Southern Chaps in the Army.

I am in Kosovo until April, on leave in June and shall be in Dublin during that time, and also possibly on R & R in mid March.  PM me and I will try to arrange a meeting, perhaps we can discuss the thing over lunch in my Club and I can expound my theories on how best to roast a subaltern.   ;D

PS, I was in the FCA for a while and at Trinity College Dublin, so we obviously have some common experience.

10. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Just another voice adding that there I have found no prejudice whatsoever about being a left-footer in the Army - in fact, there are few organisations which actually do so much to support a person's religious beliefs (something about 'no atheists in foxholes, perhaps).

Without getting too religious, there is even the opportunity to attend the annual military pilgramage to Lourdes, or go on Retreat.

Best of luck - and don't overlook the other Regiments/Corps when applying - go for something with a future!

11. Flash!! You're alive and well!! Listen, you were such charming company I'll buy you lunch anytime!!!

So you're going to the fair City in March hey? I can feel a reunion coming on... :D

12. Steady tiger!   ;)

Irishranger, you may not have had a chance to visit many of the threads on this site but take it from me, there are one or two ladies in here who have a BIG things for Irishmen.....  

13. Women interested in Irishmen, Eh?! (Young foggy's ears prick up somewhat)  Since when?  Who?  Have I missed something in my recent absence?!  ??? ??? Feel free to answer in any order.  (HVM Boy, should you be reading, don't tell my shorter, better half.  Not sniffing, just curious!!)

14. Honestly Foggy!! Where have you been?!! I have been shamelessly parading my Irishphile tendencies, in the vain hope that some tall, gorgeous Irishman will sweep me off my feet!!

And you can just stay curious young man, or I'll smack your wrists and tell your missus!! But if you have any eligible friends, please let me know............ ;D ::)

15. Plenty of eligible friends, male, female, and those not so sure.  If you're that desperate for a bit of boggy-luvvin, next time you're in this end of the world, give me a shout, and sure if we can't fix you up with a man, then we'll at least make sure you see the inside of every bar in Belfast you shouldn't be in.  If you don't get yourself a tall handsome Irishman (not too many of us about), I promise to pour guinness down your neck till it comes out your ears.  Can't ask fairer than that!! ;D