Irish marches - what's it all about ?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by dogs_bollox, Jul 14, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Being a little in the 'speshul needs' spectrum I'm struggling to understand what's behind all this.

As I understand it, some Irish insist on rubbing others noses in it for beating them i a Civil War. And we're not talking about recently either.

The Yanks manage to 'celebrate' their Civil War with re-enactments of the main events and manage not to end up rioting. We do the same with the Sealed Knot brigade for ours. (well, one of them - we've had several). The Spanish try to forget theirs.

Why are the marches allowed to go ahead ?

Are they really necessary ?

Aren't Civil Wars best forgotten ?

D_B

2. waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!

3. The Irish 'problem' with each other is a bit different to the septic war over slaves and choice of spitting tobacco, its all very deep and meaningful for them and involves potatoes, cabbage and peat.

The British actively encouraged both sides of the conflict to have their marches and parades, ideal opportunity to take photos of naughty people without having to be sneaky about it, some times they would even stand with people we didnt know they knew and give us a respectful salute.

4. It's just the way of the world, we love to put the other guy down.

I'm Spartacus and so my wife

5. A Scotish/English Tw't who had been a French Army officer and a religious traitor, had a disagreement with a Dutch bloke who at least was a Prod, had a scrap in Ireland and the stupid Paddys never forgot it,

6. You may be confusing two different things here Dogs.
    The "civil" war, that of 1922/23 when Irishmen killed one another with a fervour that outdid anything their traditional enemies did and resulted in more deaths of Irishmen than the years immediately before this (the era of the Black and Tans etc.), was really an almost personal fight between the followers of Eamon De Valera and Michael Collins. Most Irishmen, whether Republican or moderate, try to forget this; it does not show anyone who was involved in a good light.
    I think the "war" you are thinking of, and which the winning side commemorates to this day, is the series of battles which consolidated the Williamite (the reign of William of Orange and Mary) succession to the English throne. This was when a multi-national army (from both Roman Catholic and Protestant countries) pushed another multi-national army - but mainly of French and Irish soldiers - out of the British Isles with a resounding defeat at the Boyne River north of Dublin. That losing army was led by James II, once of England but by that time driven out by the will of the people of England for his "Papish" views. Poor James, soundly defeated at the Boyne by his son-in-law William (with the help of Inniskillingers and sundry other Ulstermen irritated by the earlier French-led campaigns in their homeland), never returned to his kingdom.
    It is said that James's precipitate departure from the battlefield ( he was in Dublin before his defeated army) earned him the nickname from the Irish, of "Seamus a CaCa (James the Shithead).
    What seems to irritate the Republicans is that they seem only to have defeats to commemorate - while everyone else has victories!

7. The Orange lot march around in the Republic too....except most down here don't care....it's a parade commemorating a battle 300+ year's ago.

8. But.... they know where you live .....

9. You have prods and taigs. We love each other and recognise our differences for the most part after all we are all human beings. The problems are caused by the filth of society, mainland GB calls them chavs at present. One of the children involved was only 8 years old. There were not enough residents in the Ardoyne to shore up a meaningful protest so they had to bring them in from elsewhere. Sad because most of the ***** were not even born when there was any real trouble over here, they just got influenced by their MPs. Adams, McGuiness, Kelly etc. They are the guilty ones in this.

10. From regrettably close observation of the Proddy side here in the West of Scotland, I think it's about small, bitter people having a part of the year when they can pretend they're not insignificant. It gives then a feeling of power that don't get to experience at any other time and they never actually have.

If they were really serious about upholding proud Protestant heritage, surely actually going to Church a bit might be a better idea? Instead, the preferred route seems to be putting on a uniform that looks like you routinely sleep in it, getting pissed and screaming abuse at anyone who asks you to keep the noise down.

I doubt the Sons of Hibernia are any different.

11. In the words of the late great Bernard Manning - "What are they fighting each other for, they're all white?"

12. 12th of July, have a parade, chuck some slabs on a bird bizzy.

The end.

13. What get's up the nose of the Irish residents of the six counties is that following the Easter Rising and the subsequent war of rebellion, they won and we lost. At that point we should have left the whole of Ireland. Instead we conned them out of the bit top right, which is rightfully theirs. Those caught within the artificial border have an understandable grievance.

14. Hit them with a stick, rozzer.

I know my feelings on this, but am not going to put them on here. You all know where I live.

Any chance you could do the garden?

15. They know where the border is. If they don't like it here, they can fuck off over it down south.