Irish Journalist Kevin Myers wears Royal Irish Fusiliers Tie for Queen.

Discussion in 'The ARRSE Hole' started by Walt.R.Greenjacket, May 22, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr.Myers was introduced to HM at Islandbridge while wearing a British Army Regimental Tie-the Royal Irish Fusiliers,to be precise. He has never served with any British Service and AFAIK has no close relatives who have.

What is the correct protocol on this. Serious replies only please as this is an important point.

QUEEN IRISH WAR MEMORIAL MAX9 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

2. Why is it an important issue? Maybe he wore it because he liked the colour.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Lots of British regimental ties sold in Brooks Bros in US,to unknowing civilians.

4. shocking the queen should've glassed him with a pint of guinness and told him never to walt again

its a tie NOONE cares

• Like Like x 3
  5. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

It's a fuckin tie you pathetic cretin, Jeez. FFS it's not like he's claiming service.

I have a Gordon's Tie and I never served with the Regiment (Grandfather did though). Myers, though his articles run to the hyperbolic at times, has always been supportive of the Irish Regiments and has consistenly sought recognition for the activities of Irish Soldiers who fought in WW2 and elsewhere he could wear a Cannaught Rangers Basque for all it fuckin matters.

• Like Like x 1
  6. possibly a gift from someone within the regiment for his support then?

7. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Yeah, Regimental ties are often given as gifts to well just about anybody I suppose.

I'm off to see if I can get myself a set of Sapper Cammy Knickers and Sussies.

8. I'm outraged.:)

9. From an Irish Journalist I would see that as a friendly gesture during a very important and successful State Visit.

Either that or he genuinely didn't know, does it really matter?

10. thought that might be the case , still got some of my dads fire brigade ones in the loft

11. A pal of mine once sent drinks over to an old chap and his party because said chap was wearing the regimental tie. He ack with a cheery wave and my pal wandered over later only to hear a story about a charity shop. We still calll him, 'Cheers Easy'.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Yep spot on .

the first time members of my family seen me wearing my regimental tie they suddenly thought I had gained some taste and a sense of fashion.

13. I thought that it was illegal to impersonate a Chelsea Pensioner- supposing the Queen thought he had served with the Irish Fusiliers-and then how do we know in the future who is a real soldier or not.

I was just wondering- thats all.

14. I bet HM thought he was a soldier-and there is no need to be so rude. It is just a question-or maybe you go around wearing a tie you have no right to so I have hit a sensitive point. We have seen plenty like you, if that is the case.

15. No it isn't you petty twat.

• Like Like x 1