Irish in the QRH

Discussion in 'RAC' started by Sir Oracle, Nov 20, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey everyone,

I'm just wondering, are there a lot of Irish lads serving in the Queen's Royal Hussars? I'm obviously referring more specifically to the Royal Irish Hussars- are they actually full of Irish, or are they more "Irish in name alone" these days?

I know QRH recruit from the North, so I'd expect there to be a few Northern lads up there. Are there many southerners serving with them? I'm from the Republic, and I'm currently looking into different regiments, and was half considering QRH. Would a Southerner get any stick for joining?

Thanks!

2. Of course you'll get a stick, how else do you expect to control the bloody 'orse!

3. Superb mob, get in if you can, I was with the Irish Hussars when the merger took place. I had a top time before and after the merger!

4. And there are indeed Southerners serving in the Regiment. Of course, if you want to be a soldier, look no further than R IRISH!

5. I was with the QRIH in Fallingrad & then with the QRH post amalgamation, fine bunch of lads in those days I am still in comms with some of them through facebook. There was a fair sprinkling of lads from both sides of the border, those from the south usually got a bit of ribbing at pishups.

My last 4 years in BFG spent up in the northern wilderness (apart from a winter tour of the desert) were most enjoyable. If they are half the Regt they were in those days I would recommend joining them.

Nobby (ex B DofE Sqn)

6. Atm, I'm currently considering the Irish Guards and RIR as well, I've heard great things about both, and I'm leaning towards the Guards, but as I'm going for a commission, and a guy I know who's just been commissioned in RIR was told by a recruiter he wouldn't even be considered in IG without acres of land, pots of money, polo ponies etc, I may have a better chance of getting into RIR! I'm definitely considering QRH as well though

I'd expect a bit of friendly slagging, I just felt I should ask about it anyway- Doug Beattie mentions racism and beatings for the Irish lads when he first signed up, which obviously didn't exactly reassure me about joining, but so long as Southerners are accepted like any other member of the regiment I'm happy.

Incidentally, what is the regiment likely to be doing post-Afghanistan? I reckon it'll be a year or two before I get in, so the drawdown will probably be near-finished by then. Is it worth joining during peace-time, or would it be more worth my while going for, say RIR, who seem to be fairly busy with 16AA?

7. There are officers from the Republic of Ireland right across the army, certainly there have always been a handful in the QRH and I would imagine in IG and R IRISH as well. You can also rest assured that you are not going to be given a harder time because you are from the south.

Of the three, I can only really comment on QRH as an organisation, because I have not worked particularly closely with the other two. QRH is an excellent regiment, it is also likely to remain one of the three armoured regiments (tanks).

This rubbish about needing to own lots of land to join one regiment or another comes up quite often in relation to either the cavalry or foot guards. In reality, it is down to your character and personality, not whether your dad owns have of Suffolk/Perthshire/Clare/etc. regiments tend to recruit officers whose characters and personalities compliment those of the officers already serving; clearly this has nothing directly to do with where you come from either.

If you can, get yourself along to some potential officer visits to these regiments.

8. My first posting was to the Irish Hussars, in '77. I have excellent memories, what a bunch of cowboys :) If the new generation of blokes and Officers are anything like the QRIH (and the CO in Paderborn was mint) where do I join?

9. Thanks for all the info, lads! From the sound of it QRH have a pretty good reputation, then!

This isn't really that related, but as it may be a bit of a stupid question, but do modern cavalry officers (outside of HCav) get taught to ride horses these days? Obviously the military purpose of horses has gone, but it strikes me as a bit of a shame if cavalry officers don't ride them at all anymore!

10. Most cavalry officers of my acquaintance were taught to ride their podies at around 3- 4 years of age.

tac

11. Generally cavalry officers either already know how to ride or learn. It is just part of the history and as you can ride virtually for free in the army, you'd be silly not to. Having said that if you have a lifelong aversion to anything remotely horsey, you can always join the RTR (who obviously don't have horses in their regimental blood).

I would council against suggesting that the military utility if the horse has completely disappeared. You'll always meet some old campaigner who'll argue the point and in any case every time we think we've seen the last of them, somebody starts using them on operations again. I believe the last time they were used (by western nation's soldiers) was by US SOF in the early days of Afghanistan (around 2001/2).

As to regimental reputations, these tend to go up and down every few years. In my humble opinion the QRH's reputation has remained generally pretty good, both in terms of the professional and the social.

12. Have you considered The Royal Dragoon Guards which similarly to the QRH also has Irish tradition and background

13. I'm a southerner in the Irish Guards and to be honest mate there is absolutely no animosity within the battalion whatsoever between lads from the north and south. There's banter of course but no more than I'm sure you would get in any English regiment that recruited in more than 1 city or area.

As far a being an officer in the guards is concerned, it's a myth that you need a second income and own have of Connaught to be considered. From speaking to some o our officers, it's a lot more to do with whether or not you can get on with and fit in as a person with the other officers.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. QS

14. Ah, so I take it the Army will teach you to ride in that case? That's definitely be something I'd be interested in- I've never ridden before, but I'd love to learn

I had considered them, but the amount of people on arrse referring to them as the Rarely Deployed Guards kind of put me off. Would there be any particular advantage to joining them over QRH? And do Irish lads tend to serve with them, or is the regimental Irishness purely traditional?

The Micks are currently my first choice, but I'm aiming to go on visits to them, RIR and QRH before I make any decisions (I still have to finish my degree, so plenty of time), and see where I fit in. Do you have many Southern Irish officers, or do they tend to all be English public schoolboys?

15. They have officers and soldiers serving from both North and South of the border. There is also a fairly strong Yorkshire element to the Regiment, which relates to the origin of one of the regiments who make up the RDG, the other being the 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards.

As for being Rarely Deployed Guards, as you have not yet served you will not be used to the banter between regiments. There was a period when it appeared that the RDG were not deploying as often as some, but every time they were warned off for a tour it would be cancelled or only a reduced commitment. So they "earned" that nickname but its pure banter.

(Everytime the 9th/12th Lancers are mentioned here someone will pop up and say "Who" as if they have never heard of them. Pure banter)

The RDG are currently in Afghan, their last time there was Spring 2010.