Irish Headline of the day

It has been a trying weekend for exotic species

One snake dies after fire at National Reptile Zoo in Kilkenny

The fire destroyed a large stock of anti-venom so people should try not to get bitten by their pet Cobra this week.
RIP the snake.
I was a bit surprised to hear of stocks of antivenin in Ireland but I suppose that they need to plan for bites from their own snakes. I doubt if there are any venomous snakes in Ireland. In some parts of the US there are a variety of venomous snakes. Not too many sorts in my part of the US (New England) but lots down in the southeast states. I met a couple at a friends house who had just returned from a boomer base in Georgia, SUBBASE Kings Bay. The family had a home on base with a swing set in the back yard and the wife would always carry a sidearm when the children were out playing. She told me that during their 3 year tour she had shot 37 snakes, mostly venomous but a few unfortunate non-venomous king snakes that closely resemble the very dangerous coral snake. When a snake is close to your children it is hard to remember "Red touches black, it’s a friend of Jack. Red touches yellow, kills a fellow" while looking st the snakes color bands.

RIP the snake.
I was a bit surprised to hear of stocks of antivenin in Ireland but I suppose that they need to plan for bites from their own snakes. I doubt if there are any venomous snakes in Ireland. In some parts of the US there are a variety of venomous snakes. Not too many sorts in my part of the US (New England) but lots down in the southeast states. I met a couple at a friends house who had just returned from a boomer base in Georgia, SUBBASE Kings Bay. The family had a home on base with a swing set in the back yard and the wife would always carry a sidearm when the children were out playing. She told me that during their 3 year tour she had shot 37 snakes, mostly venomous but a few unfortunate non-venomous king snakes that closely resemble the very dangerous coral snake. When a snake is close to your children it is hard to remember "Red touches black, it’s a friend of Jack. Red touches yellow, kills a fellow" while looking st the snakes color bands.
st P.png

... I doubt if there are any venomous snakes in Ireland....
There shouldn't be. There are no native snakes although there are the odd reports of people coming across escaped pet snakes. There is no law regulating exotic pets in Ireland so you can import what you want. A woman found a Raccoon in her car a while back.

In some parts of the US there are a variety of venomous snakes. Not too many sorts in my part of the US (New England) but lots down in the southeast states. I met a couple at a friends house who had just returned from a boomer base in Georgia...
Watched a programme about the making of The Walking Dead and was amused that they employ snake wranglers while filming in Georgia to chase snakes off the location before work starts.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
I rather like the last word of the quote:

A source explained: “If he fails to keep his job he could be destined for a judicial review in the High Court, he doesn’t want to lose hisjob.

“He’s suffered personally without the organisation going after him to this extent, it has had a negative impact on morale.
Gardai who work with the man accept that he did wrong but they believe it isexcessive.”

Latest Threads