Irish Headline of the day

Imho I'm in favour of people learning Welsh, Gaelic etc because it helps maintain a cultural identity that's quite unique in UK/Ireland. I'm arguing it's not the utility of the language, but the identity it brings that's important, especially when we're being talked into celebrating every diversity except our own.

Ireland prop Furlong battling 'potato addiction'

Nothing quite like living up to a stereotype.

Irish tighthead Tadhg Furlong is said to be battling a potato addiction – according to his team’s nutritionist at least.

Balls.ie are reporting that the 122kg British and Irish Lion is consuming as many as six to ten potatoes a day.

Leinster nutritional coach Daniel Davey says that prop is struggling to keep his love of the starch root vegetable under control.

Imho I'm in favour of people learning Welsh, Gaelic etc because it helps maintain a cultural identity that's quite unique in UK/Ireland. I'm arguing it's not the utility of the language, but the identity it brings that's important, especially when we're being talked into celebrating every diversity except our own.
Kids seem to learn it quite easily, I'm finding Welsh a lot more a struggle than other languages, partly because all the Welsh speakers I know rarely use it in public, and the same goes in my village some speak it but it's rare to hear it spoken. But I still want to keep trying, more because I feel I should than I really need to learn in practice

The younger generation learn it at school, but don't really use it either, it's their parent pushing them into schools that teach Welsh to hedge their bets,as any public sector roles in Wales you put yourself at a disadvang

Kids seem to learn it quite easily, I'm finding Welsh a lot more a struggle than other languages, partly because all the Welsh speakers I know rarely use it in public, and the same goes in my village some speak it but it's rare to hear it spoken. But I still want to keep trying, more because I feel I should than I really need to learn in practice

The younger generation learn it at school, but don't really use it either, it's their parent pushing them into schools that teach Welsh to hedge their bets,as any public sector roles in Wales you put yourself at a disadvang
Move to London
the kids speak lots of languages there !!

Just thought I would post on this thread and not start another. So NATO have a meeting in Dublin RoI? This Composite Special Operations Component Command (C-SOCC) sounds a lot of military gobbeldygook to me. However, what is going on ?, RoI is not in NATO, follows a foreign policy of neutrality is not interested in NATO and is opposed to the European Army. Note those Star men are all in civilian clothes, WITH NO TIES (standards). is this RoI playing both ends of the worm?

SHAPE | NATO SOF commanders coordinate in Dublin

Signature, from my comment.

Last edited:
....RoI is not in NATO, follows a foreign policy of neutrality is not interested in NATO and is opposed to the European Army. ...
Ireland certainly is interested in NATO, has Observer status at NATO HQ or some such. There is a senior Irish Officer at NATO HQ anyway. Our neutrality is somewhat ambiguous and as far as I know we are not opposed to a European Army.

The EU Army was in your referendum you were told to vote 'correctly', you were given an opt out in return for the second vote.
There was no referendum on an EU Army, I assure you. I voted in them all. What actually happened was that the EU granted reassurances to the Irish government to facilitate the passing of Maastricht and Lisbon IIRC that there were no defence implications in those Treaties. However you confuse the wishes of the Irish people a decade ago with the wishes of our political masters today. At that time everyone could put hand on heart and say there were no plans for a European Army. Anyone with a bit of common sense could see that that would change quite quickly though.

There was no referendum on an EU Army, I assure you. I voted in them all. What actually happened was that the EU granted reassurances to the Irish government to facilitate the passing of Maastricht and Lisbon IIRC that there were no defence implications in those Treaties. However you confuse the wishes of the Irish people a decade ago with the wishes of our political masters today. At that time everyone could put hand on heart and say there were no plans for a European Army. Anyone with a bit of common sense could see that that would change quite quickly though.
So RoI Govt would now go along with EU Army and Navy?

Just thought I would post on this thread and not start another. So NATO have a meeting in Dublin RoI? This Composite Special Operations Component Command (C-SOCC) sounds a lot of military gobbeldygook to me. However, what is going on ?, RoI is not in NATO, follows a foreign policy of neutrality is not interested in NATO and is opposed to the European Army. Note those Star men are all in civilian clothes, WITH NO TIES (standards). is this RoI playing both ends of the worm?

The ROI is not neutral, it is 'non-aligned'.

There is a protocol about the wearing of foreign uniforms in the ROI. Not sure about the 'no ties' ... Dress down Friday?

A play on words, how can you be in the EU and non-aligned with EU acting as de facto nation state?
The policy of military neutrality predates membership of the EU. 'Non-aligned' means that the ROI chose not to join either of the post-world war ll military alliances. However, this did not preclude deployment with SFOR/KFOR, Nordic Battle Group etc.
Maybe this will help ...
Neutrality - Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade

The policy of military neutrality predates membership of the EU. 'Non-aligned' means that the ROI chose not to join either of the post-world war ll military alliances. However, this did not preclude deployment with SFOR/KFOR, Nordic Battle Group etc.
Maybe this will help ...
Neutrality - Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
However, we have moved on from the post-war status quo of alliances although NATO remains as the bed rock of European security and military co-operation.

The last para of your quote -

Ireland is afforded guarantees under the Lisbon Treaty which maintain the country’s traditional policy of military neutrality remains unchanged and unaffected by the ratification of the Treaty.

With the current direction of the EU towards EU defense and foreign policy how long do you think this will last? I think Mr Tusk said a few days ago that he wishes to end the various national opt outs.

Last edited:

Latest Threads