Irish Headline of the day

Funny you say that - I had just come back from Edinburgh back to London and went to the post office trying to mail something, went to the counter and was trying to pay by cash as I had a few notes from the trip, the lady behind the counter sees they are Bank of Scotland notes and says, "do you want to hand them over dear? I will exchange them for some real English money. People don't really accept them around here!" I had a massive chuckle. My first exposure to the varying currency laws in the UK!
I've never understood the different notes thing. England and Wales use one type for sixty million people. These notes are also valid in Scotland and Northern Ireland. Scotland has three other types for five million people (RBS, BoS and Clydesdale I think). Northern Ireland has two other types for two million people (Ulster Bank and Northern Bank). To this outsider it just gives an impression of insecurity.

I did wind a mate up many years ago who was going to work in Belfast. I told him to be careful which money he spent. Ulster Bank in the Protestant areas and Northern Bank in the Catholic areas. I also told him about the special currency exchanges on the peace wall...

(It's 20 years since I've been to either place so the banks may have changed since then.)

Ireland can do what it wants as far as the EU is concerned. However my personal opinion is that it should leave the Euro and go back to the Punt. At least then you can set your own interest rates to the requirements of the Irish economy and not have them set by the Germans, who are almost certainly not on the same economic cycle. Ireland would still have boom and bust, but not to the extremes that you have had since joining the Euro.

It did make me laugh that during the Scottish Independence referendum the SNP said that Scotland would keep the pound. That would be the Pound Sterling, where interest rates would be set by the Bank of England with no regards for the needs of an independent Scotland.

Apologies for the thread drift.
The bust of '07 had very little to do with the Euro but everything to do with chronic fiscal mismanagement by slashing taxes, giveaway budgets, 100% mortgages and suddenly everyone is buying five apartments in Bulgaria.

I like the Germans minding my money. All those hard-working middle managers saving for their retirement makes a nice capital fund we can borrow from .... like the local Credit Union but for countries.

I was talking to one of our Fire Control girls, after a while I asked her which part of Ireland she was from. She said "Kerry", I said "That's amazing, I can understand what you are saying".
:-D Kerry accents seem to vary from village to village. I recall back in the late 60's visiting my Dad's cousins. The lived on a little farm northwest of Killarney. My Dad's cousin Seán was brought up near Killarney with English as his first language and I had no problem with his accent, it was like my grannie and great uncle who lived in the states. Seán's wife, Sadhbh, came from Dún Chaoin on Dingle with Irish as her first language and her accent was very thick, I had problems understanding her. It was a bit strange seeing Seán as he was a leaner more weathered version of my late father, a leaner face with the same blue eyes, prominent nose.

I've never understood the different notes thing. England and Wales use one type for sixty million people. These notes are also valid in Scotland and Northern Ireland. Scotland has three other types for five million people (RBS, BoS and Clydesdale I think). Northern Ireland has two other types for two million people (Ulster Bank and Northern Bank). To this outsider it just gives an impression of insecurity.
I did wind a mate up many years ago who was going to work in Belfast. I told him to be careful which money he spent. Ulster Bank in the Protestant areas and Northern Bank in the Catholic areas. I also told him about the special currency exchanges on the peace wall...
(It's 20 years since I've been to either place so the banks may have changed since then.)
It's changed a bit since then. Last year my son took me on a three week visit to Ireland with 10 days in NI. It was my first visit to NI since the end of January in 1972. Lovely place but I did not want to visit with family while people were shooting and blowing each other up. Nice to see things peaceful and quiet.
Now you get cash from an ATM and there are 4 different issuers on banknotes now. Bank of Ireland, Ulster Bank, Danske Bank and another one, sorry, forget the name. I was a bit amazed that Danske, a Danish bank, issues NI currency. Apparently Danske bought out a NI bank during one of the financial crunches.

The bust of '07 had very little to do with the Euro but everything to do with chronic fiscal mismanagement by slashing taxes, giveaway budgets, 100% mortgages and suddenly everyone is buying five apartments in Bulgaria.

I like the Germans minding my money. All those hard-working middle managers saving for their retirement makes a nice capital fund we can borrow from .... like the local Credit Union but for countries.
As someone who was one of the extra one million unemployed caused by our membership of the Exchange Rate Mechanism, a precursor to the Euro, I'm inclined to disagree. A common currency only works in widely divergent areas/economies where you have a political union that allows capital transfers from central government to the regions. The US and the UK being good examples of this.

Again, apologies for the thread drift. Can we go back to some "Useless Gobshites" headlines, please?

it was all Eddie Hobbs' fault so there.

There are 72 different languages spoken in Ireland and each of these languages has at least 500 speakers living in Ireland. The census includes 135,895 Polish speakers, 54,948 French speakers, 36,683 Romanian speakers, 35,362 Lithuanian speakers, 32,405 Spanish speakers, 28,331 German speakers, 21,707 Russian speakers, 20,833 Portuguese speakers, 17,584 Chinese speakers, 16,072 Arabic speakers and 14,505 Italian speakers.

The declaration that Irish is the official language of the Republic is a joke and has never served any purpose other than sticking two fingers up to the English.
Exactly the same reason for this here in Jockland:

POLICE_VAN_BRANDING_DN01.jpg

Take a guess on how many native Gaelic speakers reside in Dumfries - if you hit triple figures you would be doing well.

The total proportion of speakers throughout ALL of Scotland is 1.1%. It is not an official language in either the EU or the UK - so what other purpose would the above have?

ugly

LE
The total proportion of speakers throughout ALL of Scotland is 1.1%. It is not an official language in either the EU or the UK - so what other purpose would the above have?
A vanity project that wastes money?

Latest Threads