Irish Headline of the day

I'd suggest de Valera's 'dream of a rural idyll' had quite a bit to do with it.
I would add that it was largely due to De Valera's isolationist, 'Ourselves Alone' philosophy.

I can't find @ugly original comment but I would debate that the situation was a bit more nuanced.
I would argue that the population wasn't totally ignorant of change but realised it was futile so voted with their feet and emigrated.
Also there were politicians open to change, Dr Noel Browne being one but received a 'belt of the crozier' and thus ended any aspirations for change.
There was an active movement for change, granted mainly Dublin, working away since the late 60's in the areas of women's rights, reproductive health etc a vocal minority that the times eventually caught up with.

ugly

LE
I can't find @ugly original comment but I would debate that the situation was a bit more nuanced.
Nuance is difficult to do online, basically Ireland fell behind and for some reason those in office want the people to believe its down to the Eu that they have flushing toilets!
No nuances required.

A person in Ireland who has to be killed at least twice before staying dead, you say?
Whoever heard of such a thing?
Not necessarily. Two deaths just knocks you off the voters register but may not interfere with your social welfare/pension entitlements.

Nuance is difficult to do online, basically Ireland fell behind and for some reason those in office want the people to believe its down to the Eu that they have flushing toilets!
No nuances required.
Well it is thanks to the EU that we have flushing toilets, so it is! And motorways, speed limits in km, no botheration with foreign exchange; better food; equal pay; more attractive people diluting the gene pool.

Well it is thanks to the EU that we have flushing toilets, so it is! And motorways, speed limits in km, no botheration with foreign exchange; better food; equal pay; more attractive people diluting the gene pool.
You know the Brits think you're joking but I know you're not. I had to show my baby brother how to work a tap when he started school and we got our first flush toilet in our house in 1980.

The Euro is the best thing since sliced bread. I was in Prague this week and the backward bastards still have Crowns. This has two major drawbacks. One you have to do mental arithmetic to figure out whether what you're buying is good value or not and you have to be careful of the Shylocks who'll rip you off on the exchange rate. Avoid Western Union at all costs. I've been ripped off from Beirut to Ballina but Prague takes the biscuit.

ugly

LE
Nope its thanks to a general awakening of the populace that you cant be held back any longer.