Irish Headline of the day

There is no standard tax rate but perhaps there should be.

The commission's problems with Ireland are not the tax rate but its allegation that Ireland gave an unfair tax advantage to Apple that wasn't offered to other companies. If Ireland had offered the same deal to everyone, the Commission would not have had a leg to stand on.

I'm not sure why this is relevant. Germany isn't one of the EU's poor nations. Russia was an economic basket case along the lines of sub-Saharan Africa in the late 80s. Demanding reparation that Russia couldn't pay would have been pointless and counter-productive.

There is already a single currency. Only Denmark and the UK stayed out of the Eurozone. And the UK is leaving the EU now anyway.
But that’s the point, if there is a harmonised rate of tax, there must be a harmonised system of benefits and if Ireland gave an unfair tax advantage to apple, then the EU should have dealt with it. Good God , it’s been the EU since 1993.
In relation to Germany, that’s why we have a Euro, that was France’s terms for Germany to be able to refinance. Russia was skint. This is the mentality we’re talking about. We actually paid Russia off re German reunification. This is also not good for denmark, but eastern states never gave a damn as long as some one was paying.

But that’s the point, if there is a harmonised rate of tax, there must be a harmonised system of benefits and if Ireland gave an unfair tax advantage to apple, then the EU should have dealt with it. .
It is dealing with it.

In relation to Germany, that’s why we have a Euro, that was France’s terms for Germany to be able to refinance. Russia was skint. This is the mentality we’re talking about. We actually paid Russia off re German reunification. This is also not good for denmark, but eastern states never gave a damn as long as some one was paying.
Again not sure what you're getting at. But a unified Germany and the liberation of eastern Europe from the Soviets is to Europe's advantage. Long term the poor states of eastern Europe will become prosperous as a result of EU membership, as Ireland did.

Tough luck on Denmark. Assimilate or leave.

It is dealing with it.
FFS How much longer will this insidious asset strip of electoral rights take.?
Again not sure what you're getting at. But a unified Germany and the liberation of eastern Europe from the Soviets is to Europe's advantage. Long term the poor states of eastern Europe will become prosperous as a result of EU membership, as Ireland did.
Sorry to say this but have a raspberry. If you are somehow comparing the Unification of Germany with the unification of Ireland, it's totally incomparable. On two levels at least.
(1) you were never totally obliterated by total war
(2) You never had the membership of the EEC foisted on you pretty much by dictat.

If on the other hand you believe that the poorer states in Europe have a fundamental right to be on the same level as the more developed ones, I'm surprised Ireland didn't apply to be the 54th state of the USA in 1922.
[QUOTE="Gary Cooper, post: 8812872, member: 81473"

Tough luck on Denmark. Assimilate or leave.[/QUOTE]

Now there's democratic for you

FFS How much longer will this insidious asset strip of electoral rights take.?
What?

Sorry to say this but have a raspberry. If you are somehow comparing the Unification of Germany with the unification of Ireland, it's totally incomparable. On two levels at least.
(1) you were never totally obliterated by total war
I never mentioned a united Ireland. I said a united Germany was good for Europe.

(2) You never had the membership of the EEC foisted on you pretty much by dictat..
Nobody did. Membership of the EU is entirely voluntary.

If on the other hand you believe that the poorer states in Europe have a fundamental right to be on the same level as the more developed ones,.
Yes I do.

I'm surprised Ireland didn't apply to be the 54th state of the USA in 1922..
I'd be surprised as well since the US only had 48 states in 1922.

Now there's democratic for you
It is. Nobody forced them to join. Their democratically elected governments have agreed to every EU treaty since they joined and nobody's forcing them to stay.

What?

I never mentioned a united Ireland. I said a united Germany was good for Europe.

Nobody did. Membership of the EU is entirely voluntary.

Yes I do.

I'd be surprised as well since the US only had 48 states in 1922.

It is. Nobody forced them to join. Their democratically elected governments have agreed to every EU treaty since they joined and nobody's forcing them to stay.
Mornin’
Point one.
What is the point of election in the member states if ultimately the EU dictates what member states do. Remember most people look at it as a trading block.

Point two . the implication was there. Of course a united Germany is good for Europe. It can pay for it.That’s the French plan.

Point three. I’m not talking about the Joining,of the EU I was talking about the formation of the EEC, whose members are defacto members of the EU, but what is getting clearer is that No one is supposed to leave.

Point four. Well it would probably have been more practical if Russia had been forced to pay something or if the sequestrated assets from Russian sanctions were used. Course the EU had the foresight to ask for that.

point five, alright be pedantic:D

Last edited:
Mornin’
Point one.
What is the point of election in the member states if ultimately the EU dictates what member states do. Remember most people look at it as a trading block.
The EU has long since ceased to be just a trading bloc.

The EU can only dictate what its member states allow it dictate. All members are members voluntarily, all its treaties have been agreed and ratified by the member states. In Ireland every treaty was agreed to by referendum. The EU Commissioners are nominated by the elected governments of the member states and their appointments approved by the MEP's elected by each member state and also by the Council of Europe which consists of the Heads of Government of the member states. Nothing happens in the EU without the say-so of the government of the member states who are all democratically elected.

Point two . the implication was there. Of course a united Germany is good for Europe. It can pay for it.That’s the French plan.
You've lost me. In your last post you appear to be saying that a unified Germany is a bad idea.

Point three. I’m not talking about the Joining,of the EU I was talking about the formation of the EEC, whose members are defacto members of the EU, but what is getting clearer is that No one is supposed to leave.
Not just de facto but also de jure. Any member can leave when they want, the UK's leaving is complicated by several issues- Northern Ireland, the GFA, Tory in-fighting, the stupidity of your politicians and the fact that Theresa May is so far out of her depth she looks like a deckchair attendant on the Titanic.

Point four. Well it would probably have been more practical if Russia had been forced to pay something or if the sequestrated assets from Russian sanctions were used. Course the EU had the foresight to ask for that.
IMO forcing Russia to pay reparations for German unification would have had the same effect as that of forcing reparations on Germany post-WW1.

Of course there's also the fact that it wasn't Russia alone that divided Germany after WW2, the US, Britain and France were also involved.

point five, alright be pedantic:D
I come from a long line of pedants and agricultural labourers

Gary, I know that, but you don't get where I'm coming from. Go back to when Ireland had a referendum on the constitution-2005 was it? Now why didn't we have one here then? Labour promised one then. A lot of people did not like the concept of the change-they weren't given the chance. Just like in '75 the situation was rigged. Now I voted into the EEC as a trading block, but as we have already established the Government had joined in '73 and the then referendum went their way.
The EU can only dictate what its member states allow it dictate. All members are members voluntarily, all its treaties have been agreed and ratified by the member states. In Ireland every treaty was agreed to by referendum. The EU Commissioners are nominated by the elected governments of the member states and their appointments approved by the MEP's elected by each member state and also by the Council of Europe which consists of the Heads of Government of the member states. Nothing happens in the EU without the say-so of the government of the member states who are all democratically elected.
This comes back to subsidiarity and what the EU decides is relevant not the other way round-Lisbon is very loose on that
You've lost me. In your last post you appear to be saying that a unified Germany is a bad idea.
No I was saying that the concept of the united Ireland and the United Germany were entirely different concepts. The Nascent EU needed Germany to pay for the EU-Ireland can't match Germany. The intense desire for a united Ireland is understandable just as the desire of Scots to be independent is. Paradoxically Ireland has more chance than Scotland IMHO but it is more dependent on the EU's sudden desire to comply with WTO rules in terms of borders.
Not just de facto but also de jure. Any member can leave when they want, the UK's leaving is complicated by several issues- Northern Ireland, the GFA, Tory in-fighting, the stupidity of your politicians and the fact that Theresa May is so far out of her depth she looks like a deckchair attendant on the Titanic.
It's not complicated at all. The EU want to extract as much as possible for leaving the club. Well it can't as with any club you are only liable for the time they a member. There is also no routemap for A50 which is why the Joining rules are being followed. Flipping nonsense. Northern Ireland is not an issue of ours, it's theirs, it's been reiterated time and again
IMO forcing Russia to pay reparations for German unification would have had the same effect as that of forcing reparations on Germany post-WW1.

Of course there's also the fact that it wasn't Russia alone that divided Germany after WW2, the US, Britain and France were also involved.
So?
me from a long line of pedants and agricultural labourers
Well I don't know about the Pedants but agricultural labourers are in mine too, and that doesn't mean we're stupid

As the EU moves towards some form of Federation, it's only natural that member states will be handing over power to the centre. We evolve or die. I see the future EU as a form of the USA, with state governments and a federal government in Strasbourg.
I'm sure you're right and then the problem of the 'fly over states' will arise. With one tax regime there will be no 'cheapest here' incentives to get businesses to Ireland or Estonia. Still you can all emigrate to Germany or France for the work, they're really keen on immigrants to do chepa labour and you'll be able to teach them English for when the EU has one common language.

I'm sure you're right and then the problem of the 'fly over states' will arise. With one tax regime there will be no 'cheapest here' incentives to get businesses to Ireland or Estonia.
Over dependence on FDI is a problem. It's an easy fix to get a US Pharma company to open a factory to employ 1,000 people at one fell swoop rather than supporting home-grown startups that employ a dozen or two.

One tax regime of course levels the playing field for everyone. For instance France does a lot of talking about countries like Ireland having an excessively low tax rate (12.5%) while nominally maintaining a high rate herself (33.3%). France's effective tax rate is lower because there are ways for companies to massage the figures to reduce their tax like a 7% tax credit for wage costs, research credits, depreciation cost and new business.

But a low tax isn't the only way to attract a company to your country. The Industrial Development Authority offers grants for R&D, training and new equipment. Whoever in the EU is administering the new tax regime will also be obligated to ensure that all member states benefit from it. So all the businesses won't be allowed set up in Germany or France, just as in Ireland all businesses don't set up in Dublin.

Still you can all emigrate to Germany or France for the work, they're really keen on immigrants to do chepa labour and you'll be able to teach them English for when the EU has one common language.
Why would English be the common language of the EU post-Brexit? More EU citizens will speak Danish than will speak English next year. France has already suggested that French become the common language post-Brexit. Personally German seems the obvious one to me.

Why would English be the common language of the EU post-Brexit? More EU citizens will speak Danish than will speak English next year.
No virtually every EU citizen unde the age of 50 has learnt English as their second language.
France has already suggested that French become the common language post-Brexit.
Quelle surprise.
Personally German seems the obvious one to me.
Try telling that to the French, or the Poles. The advantages of English are a) it will be the most commonly spoken language; b) no one will win, thus no one will really lose. The only real alternative since it is the only genuine alternative world language would be to go for Spanish, but I doubt it will ever happen, like the EU football team, this will always be a step too far.

No virtually every EU citizen unde the age of 50 has learnt English as their second language....
Indeed.

I suppose I should have said that more EU citizens will speak Danish as a first language than will speak English as a first language next year.

I would love them to pick German, I can just sense business/employment opportunities, however logically they will suck it up and stick with English.

Indeed.

I suppose I should have said that more EU citizens will speak Danish as a first language than will speak English as a first language next year.
Once we're out, it would be a good choice. It willbe nobodys national tongue