Irish Headline of the day

You’re thinking of gabhal (pronounced “gowl”) it means fork or crotch and is the favoured insult in the old home town. Gall has the long ‘Ah’.
Can you imagine our English readers trying to pronounce gabhal.

There's a village near me called Gabhailín in Irish. Anglicised to Golden for some reason.

It's obvious where the name comes from.

Not far away is a hill called Laghtnafrankee which in Irish is Leacht na bhFrancach. And as @DavidBOC points out that could be a reference to Frenchmen or rats. :D Laghtnafrankee is part of the Comeragh Mountains which I was once told were named by all those Walshs for their similarity to the mountains of Wales.

Exactly! What are the odds of a) finding a cricket bat to hand in an Irish house and b) a child being battered with it?

Arriviste? Probably the newly appointed A&E consultant.
Lass obviously thought that using a cricket bat instead of a hurley stick just took the child abuse to whole new levels of sophistication, you just watch the rise is reported cases as other mothers try to elevate their social status

De velera is spinning like a lynx rotor blade in his grave.
Wel he should not complain too much, he was an immigrant from the US of half Spanish ancestry.

Wel he should not complain too much, he was an immigrant from the US of half Spanish ancestry.
Allegedly.

Despite much research nobody has ever turned up a record of Senor De Valera or a marriage record for Catherine Coll to the mystery Basque. And genealogists are people who can, at the drop of a hat, trace the Irish ancestry of the son of a Kenyan goat herder. I fear Catherine may have sailed for the States carrying more than her suitcase.

De velera is spinning like a lynx rotor blade in his grave.
Indeed these are far from the athletic youths and comely maidens of De Valera's imagination. The Ireland that he dreamed of did not host Lithuanian carpet munchers and long distance sailors from the Sub-Continent. In his day a dusky chap would have been arrested as a British spy and be dancing the Mountjoy Twostep a week after. Ironically there was no state hangman back in the day and Albert Pierrepoint had to do the Irish job as a nixer.

Last edited:
Ah, to be sure. the sight of LGBTQQIP2SAA dancing at the cross roads. Makes you proud to be Irish, well Irish of no specific gender or cultural identity That is. I blame Gaye byrne.

More likely to blame this fellow....