• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Irish Guards Party Cancelled

oldbaldy

LE
I know it's the Scum but I feel an outrage coming on:

HOMECOMING parties for hundreds of Queen’s guardsmen back from Iraq have been scrapped — because they are all men.

An events firm cancelled the Irish Guards’ bashes after presuming the squaddies would get drunk and create havoc.

It’s a cruel snub for the Guards who lost two comrades — Lance Sgt Chris Casey, 27, and Lance Cpl Kirk Redpath, 22 — in six months of fighting.

The decision is doubly bitter as the Guards, an infantry regiment based in Aldershot, Hants, always hold bashes to remember fallen comrades after long missions in war zones.

One senior guardsman said: “You go away and fight for your country for six months, and this is the sort of gratitude you can expect. It’s like a punch in the stomach.”

The sergeant majors of Number One Company and Number Two Company made the bookings weeks ago with national firm Best Parties Ever.

They guaranteed they would be on hand and sober to ensure the men — women are not allowed in infantry regiments — behaved.

But the bashes were still axed leaving the men, who fly home this week, nowhere to go.

A spokesman for the Irish Guards confirmed the cancellations.

Best Parties Ever said it did not allow events for large groups of soldiers after a brawl involving 70 at a party THREE YEARS ago.

He added: “It’s our policy not to accept bookings from big groups of soldiers without their wives and partners being present.”

Meanwhile, military personnel who served in Iraq and Afghanistan have been barred by the MoD from a civic reception in Shrewsbury, Shrops, in their honour because it has been deemed a “political event,” the Commons was told last night.

Local Tory MP Daniel Kawczynski branded the decision a “disgrace”.

CAN you host a party for the Irish Guards in the Surrey/Hampshire area? Call us on 0207 782 4104.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article487774.ece

Edit cause it's early & I need caffine.

I'm not actually surprise .... once again the double standards get applied to servicemen. Don't see them cancelling too manyparties by large groups of single civvies do you!!?? :x

As an ex Mick I only wish I was closer to the Shot and able to lay on a real good hoolie for the boys. Welcome home lads ... some of us don't despise the uniforms you wear and we wore!!!

FrankIG said:
I'm not actually surprise .... once again the double standards get applied to servicemen. Don't see them cancelling too manyparties by large groups of single civvies do you!!?? :x

As an ex Mick I only wish I was closer to the Shot and able to lay on a real good hoolie for the boys. Welcome home lads ... some of us don't despise the uniforms you wear and we wore!!!
Thats because single male civies have more sense than to have a party where women are not invited. :twisted:

Already dug in so nyah nyah.

Meanwhile, military personnel who served in Iraq and Afghanistan have been barred by the MoD from a civic reception in Shrewsbury, Shrops, in their honour because it has been deemed a “political event,” the Commons was told last night.
Does this mean that the dismal Browne, Twigg and Ainsworth will stop attending military events since their unsavoury presence presumably makes them political?

ViroBono said:
Does this mean that the dismal Browne, Twigg and Ainsworth will stop attending military events since their unsavoury presence presumably makes them political?
well we can always live in hope!!!! :twisted:

Would they cancel a party for gay soldiers?

The Scum said:
An events firm cancelled the Irish Guards’ bashes after presuming the squaddies would get drunk and create havoc.
What on earth would give them that idea? :D

Surely the Guards can find another venue.

theoriginalphantom said:
Would they cancel a party for gay soldiers?

Heaven forfend!!! I'm outraged!! You mean there are gay men in the Army???

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
Well, I'm going through a phase of apoplectic rage right now, in fact, I'm purple of the face, and my cranial veins are fit to burst, so they are!

Like has already been said, if I had a venue and was up that way, they'd all be welcome. It is a fcuking disgrace!

As for 'Best Parties Ever' - all the Uk regiments should blacklist them immediately, and find a better company to provide the parties - there must be a lot out there who would do a better job and who'd love the business.

T

the_mentalist

I went into a public-'ouse to get a pint o' beer,
The publican 'e up an' sez, "We serve no red-coats here."
The girls be'ind the bar they laughed an' giggled fit to die,
I outs into the street again an' to myself sez I:
O it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, go away";
But it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins", when the band begins to play,
The band begins to play, my boys, the band begins to play,
O it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins", when the band begins to play.

I went into a theatre as sober as could be,
They gave a drunk civilian room, but 'adn't none for me;
They sent me to the gallery or round the music-'alls,
But when it comes to fightin', Lord! they'll shove me in the stalls!
For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, wait outside";
But it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide,
The troopship's on the tide, my boys, the troopship's on the tide,
O it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide.

Yes, makin' mock o' uniforms that guard you while you sleep
Is cheaper than them uniforms, an' they're starvation cheap;
An' hustlin' drunken soldiers when they're goin' large a bit
Is five times better business than paradin' in full kit.
Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, 'ow's yer soul?"
But it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll,
The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,
O it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll.

etc. etc. etc.

T_M

the_mentalist said:
I went into a public-'ouse to get a pint o' beer,
The publican 'e up an' sez, "We serve no red-coats here."
The girls be'ind the bar they laughed an' giggled fit to die,
I outs into the street again an' to myself sez I:
O it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, go away";
But it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins", when the band begins to play,
The band begins to play, my boys, the band begins to play,
O it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins", when the band begins to play.

I went into a theatre as sober as could be,
They gave a drunk civilian room, but 'adn't none for me;
They sent me to the gallery or round the music-'alls,
But when it comes to fightin', Lord! they'll shove me in the stalls!
For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, wait outside";
But it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide,
The troopship's on the tide, my boys, the troopship's on the tide,
O it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide.

Yes, makin' mock o' uniforms that guard you while you sleep
Is cheaper than them uniforms, an' they're starvation cheap;
An' hustlin' drunken soldiers when they're goin' large a bit
Is five times better business than paradin' in full kit.
Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, 'ow's yer soul?"
But it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll,
The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,
O it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll.

etc. etc. etc.

T_M

plus ca change, plus c'est la meme-chose!!!! :x

**** em, take their business somewhere else...

I'm sure there's some ex-squaddies somewhere out there that run events businesses and would do a much better job

I have to laugh, although it makes me wonder why they accepted it in the first place?

Biped said:
As for 'Best Parties Ever' - all the Uk regiments should blacklist them immediately, and find a better company to provide the parties - there must be a lot out there who would do a better job and who'd love the business.
From my experience there are much better nights out to be had than "Best Parties Ever", which usually consists of a poorly decorated marquee in field just outside Basingstoke full of hairdressers and trainee mechanics.

Back on!

A BAN on a party for 250 troops back from Iraq has been lifted after The Sun confronted the firm.

The Irish Guards were gutted when bosses axed their bash fearing two all-male Companies would create drunken havoc. But Best Parties Ever have now agreed to host it at a knockdown price.

A spokesman for the Aldershot-based unit said of the party: “The idea is to celebrate and reflect on those not returning.”
The Sun
(Story is a small bit on the right of page)

Obviously a management decision totally unrelated to them looking like CNUTS 8O

that is good news

Steven said:
FrankIG said:

Thats because single male civies have more sense than to have a party where women are not invited. :twisted:

Already dug in so nyah nyah.
Unless they are a group of single GAY Civies. I thought you would know that.

counterstrike said:
By all means rant on here, but TELL THE COMPANY TOO!

:D :D :D
Seconded.

Another suggestion: Make a music video or blog guys, and put it on my tube/space.........................

LOTS OF POSITIVE PROMOTION, FOR SUCH A SMALL MINDED FIRM...........SHAME - ON - THEM!

Theres absolutely nothing wrong, in letting off steam at a christmas bash! lsn't that, what insurance is for?

p.s. Will this (so-called), firm incurr any EXTRA charges for canceling the event at such, such SHORT notice?

Because trying to book somewhere else, alternative for Christmas at this time of year - well, you could just think of a number, double it, and add several noughts, and it still wouldn't be enough.