Irish Guards officer

Hi guys, sorry if this has been posted before but I wasn't able to see anything. During my orginal interview with my ACA a few years back I decleared that I had always wanted to join the Irish guards. This idea was then poo pooed as I dont have any private income my father isn't titled and I wouldn't be able to bring any polo ponies to the regiment. I was just wondering if this is indeed the case (perhaps a slightly extreme example!) or would it be worth considering? I realise its hard to answer as personality traits and things might be brought into consideration, but i would appreciate any information you could give me, also not entirely sure if this is the right place to post this!

I haven't been here very long. Just long enough to have read this question many a time. If the Irish Guards think you have the qualities to make a good Officer, they will have you. To clarify, that doesn't mean a plot of land, a peerage or good breeding.

Out of interest, who "poo-pooed" this idea for you?

Paddi,

Please read one of the 1000 or so threads (probably more) on ARRSE that talk about social class, Regimental system, background, public school, etc etc ad infinitam. There are a lot of well informed responses on there. Ultimately if you want to have a bash at joining the Micks as an officer then get in touch with them - and good luck.

whf

If there is one thing I have learned it is never to ignore a poo-poo.

Professionalism, look after your men, blah blah, all of that, but what you really need in the Micks is a glint in your eye, and the ability to swagger. By the way, no one in the Micks has owned a polo pony for about 30 years. Good luck.

paddi-8764 said:
Hi guys, sorry if this has been posted before but I wasn't able to see anything. During my orginal interview with my ACA a few years back I decleared that I had always wanted to join the Irish guards. This idea was then poo pooed as I dont have any private income my father isn't titled and I wouldn't be able to bring any polo ponies to the regiment. I was just wondering if this is indeed the case (perhaps a slightly extreme example!) or would it be worth considering? I realise its hard to answer as personality traits and things might be brought into consideration, but i would appreciate any information you could give me, also not entirely sure if this is the right place to post this!

Yep, it's true.

Infact the entire Army is like that. Since your father doesn't have a title you cannot join as an officer, not just a Guards officer. And unless you're from a council estate in Essex you cannot join as an other rank either. Perhaps it's time to consider Plan B, good luck!

vampireuk said:
If there is one thing I have learned it is never to ignore a poo-poo.
Yep, had to disband the entire Bn. Destroyed through poo-poo...

Are you completely barking mad?

If so, you'll be in good company in the Micks; the only real qualification required. Oh and the fighting qualities of a Spartan, the ability to drink on an epic scale and a passing understanding of Scouse should stand you in good stead.

I would hazard a guess that being unable to spell Officer gives a hint to why you were rejected.

French Oirish? As an aside I took my sprogs to the Changing of the Guard at Buck House on Saturday. The youngest Miss Pike commented 'Why does the man with the flag ( no darling they're the Colours)keep shaking his head?' Lo and behold the poor chap either had a chronic fit of the sneezes or was twitching like an ADHD kid on crystal meth. With this in mind perhaps you were turned down because you can't march like a malfunctioning spastic robot.

paddi-8764 said:
If you're from Northern Ireland and been the AFCO, he gave me this opinion too. It seems to be his opinion of the guards..

Sorry to revive an old thread but I thought better this than start a new one.

My dad was recently told by an officer who shall remain unnamed that unless I did come from a wealthy background the odds were stacked well against me. Would it be fair to assume that while you may be a good officer, your background and status plays a part in deciding whether or not you would fit in with the regt?

Or was that officer just talking cr@p?

He was talking pony. It may have been true in 1950, maybe, but not now.

It's a very common myth perpetrated by people without any real clue about the subject.

Under normal circumstances, if you get the knock back from The Guards, it means you are a bit shit

Silent_Scope said:
Sorry to revive an old thread but I thought better this than start a new one.

My dad was recently told by an officer who shall remain unnamed that unless I did come from a wealthy background the odds were stacked well against me. Would it be fair to assume that while you may be a good officer, your background and status plays a part in deciding whether or not you would fit in with the regt?

Or was that officer just talking cr@p?
It's probably fair to say that in the officers' mess for a guards regiment there will be a far greater proportion of posh feckers than in say a REME unit, so maybe he was thinking about that. That said it can't be anything close to a majority - maybe two in the company instead of one :D