Irish Guards officer

Discussion in 'Officers' started by paddi-8764, Jan 18, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys, sorry if this has been posted before but I wasn't able to see anything. During my orginal interview with my ACA a few years back I decleared that I had always wanted to join the Irish guards. This idea was then poo pooed as I dont have any private income my father isn't titled and I wouldn't be able to bring any polo ponies to the regiment. I was just wondering if this is indeed the case (perhaps a slightly extreme example!) or would it be worth considering? I realise its hard to answer as personality traits and things might be brought into consideration, but i would appreciate any information you could give me, also not entirely sure if this is the right place to post this!
  2. what exactly is a wah anyway? does it stand for something?
  3. I haven't been here very long. Just long enough to have read this question many a time. If the Irish Guards think you have the qualities to make a good Officer, they will have you. To clarify, that doesn't mean a plot of land, a peerage or good breeding.

Out of interest, who "poo-pooed" this idea for you?
  4. Paddi,

Please read one of the 1000 or so threads (probably more) on ARRSE that talk about social class, Regimental system, background, public school, etc etc ad infinitam. There are a lot of well informed responses on there. Ultimately if you want to have a bash at joining the Micks as an officer then get in touch with them - and good luck.

5. If there is one thing I have learned it is never to ignore a poo-poo.
  6. Professionalism, look after your men, blah blah, all of that, but what you really need in the Micks is a glint in your eye, and the ability to swagger. By the way, no one in the Micks has owned a polo pony for about 30 years. Good luck.

7. Yep, it's true.

Infact the entire Army is like that. Since your father doesn't have a title you cannot join as an officer, not just a Guards officer. And unless you're from a council estate in Essex you cannot join as an other rank either. Perhaps it's time to consider Plan B, good luck!
  8. Forget private income, titles and polo ponies learn to spell officer right!
  9. Yep, had to disband the entire Bn. Destroyed through poo-poo...
  10. Are you completely barking mad?

If so, you'll be in good company in the Micks; the only real qualification required. Oh and the fighting qualities of a Spartan, the ability to drink on an epic scale and a passing understanding of Scouse should stand you in good stead.
  11. by that I presume you mean an affinity for buggery and suicidal last stands?
  12. ahhhh, good point. Delete "spartan," insert "really feisty fighty hurty guy."
  13. I would hazard a guess that being unable to spell Officer gives a hint to why you were rejected.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Peut-etre 'ee is, 'ow you say? Frainch?