Irish general election

This is a new TD speaking in the Dail (in the Dublin Convention Centre yesterday). He is an independent (part of a technical group of rural TDs to allow them to share time etc).

.....The only Irish party in the Dail who is anti-EU is S-PBP and there are possibly a few independents. The only other anti-EU party is the Irish National party that don’t have any seats.
SF are somewhat lukewarm on the EU. In the past they have been anti-EU and I think they will be again in the future.

SF are somewhat lukewarm on the EU. In the past they have been anti-EU and I think they will be again in the future.
Tell them it would be following the British. They'll change.

As always they will play to their strengths and shout blue murder from the sidelines. Their track record at Stormont tells its own cautionary tale..

As always they will play to their strengths and shout blue murder from the sidelines. Their track record at Stormont tells its own cautionary tale..
SF will of course adopt any populist idea that will win them votes. Their policies in the south frequently conflict with those in the north.

They are currently shouting blue murder from the sidelines about being unfairly excluded from government in the ROI. FF and FG turned their noses up at them, a somewhat ironic attitude given the histories of those parties, while the odds and ends didn't have the numbers to get SF into power.

This situation is unlikely to repeat itself, particularly if they manage to get rid of McDonald who, in my opinion, is a bit of a muppet. SF's good showing in the GE saved her neck, despite the fact that they made a balls of managing their vote and failing to run enough candidates. Doherty and O'Broin are the ones to watch in the near future.

SF will of course adopt any populist idea that will win them votes. Their policies in the south frequently conflict with those in the north.

They are currently shouting blue murder from the sidelines about being unfairly excluded from government in the ROI. FF and FG turned their noses up at them, a somewhat ironic attitude given the histories of those parties, while the odds and ends didn't have the numbers to get SF into power.

This situation is unlikely to repeat itself, particularly if they manage to get rid of McDonald who, in my opinion, is a bit of a muppet. SF's good showing in the GE saved her neck, despite the fact that they made a balls of managing their vote and failing to run enough candidates. Doherty and O'Broin are the ones to watch in the near future.
Was chatting with someone last week who used to run around with Mary Lou when she was more Coo coo Ke-chew than Mrs Bunter – said she is right dodgy.

McDonald is many things, but we cannot overlook her appointment would have been with the backing of the army council and its public face - jareeee

O Broin looks like a very "interesting" , will he take in a different direction ? While his history in te party shows he is a very capable man, its difficult to see the grass roots getting behind a privately educated man from a very wealthy part of Dublin

Doherty reads like a traditional sf firebrand, which is probably good news for the big 2 parties. FG and FF have had their shot across the bow, they need to keep the greens sweet and keep the green vote away from the unicorn factory of sf.

Was chatting with someone last week who used to run around with Mary Lou when she was more Coo coo Ke-chew than Mrs Bunter – said she is right dodgy.
Dodgy ? That beached whale invented dodgy, she was originally a FF appointee but threw a strop and threw her lot in with the terrorists. Trust her as far as I coudl throw her ? Impossible because

1 She walked away from traditional politics and joined sf at a time when the peace process was still young and far from set in stone
2 Going by her pictures I couldn't lift her in the first place, let alone throw her.

Last edited:
Dodgy ? That beached whale invented dodgy, she was originally a FF appointee but threw a strop and threw her lot in with the terrorists. Trust her as far as I coudl throw her ? Impossible because

1 She walked away from traditional politics and joined sf at a time when the peace process was still young and far from set in stone
2 Going by her pictures I couldn't lift her in the first place
Just searched for her in Google images. There's been some heroic photoshopping going on when you compare several of the available pictures of it.

O Broin looks like a very "interesting" , will he take in a different direction ? While his history in te party shows he is a very capable man, its difficult to see the grass roots getting behind a privately educated man from a very wealthy part of Dublin
He is also fairly outspoken at times which an lead to SF being called out by the general public.

Doherty reads like a traditional sf firebrand, which is probably good news for the big 2 parties. FG and FF have had their shot across the bow, they need to keep the greens sweet and keep the green vote away from the unicorn factory of sf.
In fairness if he wasn’t SF he actually has had some good ideas In the past. Not that he would get to implement them if SF were in power.

absolutely
They were anti abortion and anti gay marriage until it became populist.

they were anti-EU until they realised the Irish public like EU membership.

people voted for FF and FG knowing they had ruled out talking to SF.

Trust me they will want to keep her. She’s a woman and appeals to the populists