Irish general election

President Elect Mary Robinson said this in his acceptance speech on 9 November 1990:

not to compare the office of An Taoiseach with the Office of An tUachtarian but this is a monumental day in Irish politics.

for the first time since 1922 the 2 major political parties who were formed by taking opposing sides in the Irish Civil War are sitting in Government together (with the Green Party who completely changed their vote around).
His?

Pro EU - tick. Rotating leadership - tick. All they need now is two parliament buildings instead of one. Where to put the second one though? Limerick, Cork, Sligo or Galway?
There are only 1 or 2 minor parties with a few seats in Ireland that are anti-EU

The Dail is actually currently sitting in the Dublin Convention Centre to allow social distancing

Who cares ? No matter what the 2 main parties say, there is nothing between them. It has essentially been a one party state with add on minority partners when necessary. The role of Taoiseach (PM) is going to be rotated through the 3 parties making up this train wreck.
Generally FF are more lefty (social welfare, State agencies) and generally break the economy. FG are more right (jobs, privatisation) and generally fix the economy

No it was agreed By the 3 parties the Michéal Martin would be Elected Taoiseach in what will be a rotating position
Boat rolls to starboard - stand firm, lads; boat rolls over to port - whoa! mind that sharp and pointy bit of the bulwark, First Mate. Boat rolls back to starboard - Now, look, will someone clear up all this sick on deck? Do I need a bosun's mate up here with a knout?

Boat rolls to starboard - stand firm, lads; boat rolls over to port - whoa! mind that sharp and pointy bit of the bulwark, First Mate. Boat rolls back to starboard - Now, look, will someone clear up all this sick on deck? Do I need a bosun's mate up here with a knout?
They're all at sea., with no figurehead, even the Italians are finding this hard to fathom. let that sink in.......

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
He has been nominated as Tánaiste (2IC) and Minister for Enterprise, Trade and Employment
so that's a yes then. he won't be any good at any of those.

They're all at sea., with no figurehead, even the Italians are finding this hard to fathom. let that sink in.......
Unlike many other countries Ireland is well used to coalitions. Although this is the first time the 2 biggest parties have been in the same one (although the previous Government was in power due to a confidence and supply agreement between them)

Unlike many other countries Ireland is well used to coalitions. Although this is the first time the 2 biggest parties have been in the same one (although the previous Government was in power due to a confidence and supply agreement between them)
Thanks for stating the obvious. Does it take away the sting ?

Pro EU - tick. Rotating leadership - tick. All they need now is two parliament buildings instead of one. Where to put the second one though? Limerick, Cork, Sligo or Galway?
That would be a little unconstitutional. The Oireachtas is required to sit in or near Dublin unless there's a good reason to move outside the Pale.

Apart from that Irish governments of late seem unaware that anything exists outside Dublin. I'm a little unhappy that the bástard Tree Huggers have weaseled their way into government again.

Meanwhile SF must be having a good old laugh as they are now the Opposition and are preparing for government in a couple of years. If they properly manage their candidates and their vote next time, that is.

...for the first time since 1922 the 2 major political parties who were formed by taking opposing sides in the Irish Civil War are sitting in Government together (with the Green Party who completely changed their vote around).
While I take your point that broadly the Civil War led to the formations of FF and FG, neither party existed in 1922. The 1921 Treaty led to a split in SF with the anti-Treaty side splitting again to form FF in 1926. The pro-Treaty parties would mutate and coalesce several times before we got FG in 1933.

Muff?

Aren't FG willing to spread the cheeks of the Irish people for the EU though?
Again you compare Ireland with other EU countries and situation in U.K. with regard to the EU. We aren’t comparable

The makeup of the Dail is:
Fianna Fáil 38
Sinn Fein 37
Fine Gael 35
Green Party 12
Labour Party 6
Social Democrats 6
Solidarity People before Profit 5
Aontu 1
Independents for Change 1
Independents 19

The only Irish party in the Dail who is anti-EU is S-PBP and there are possibly a few independents. The only other anti-EU party is the Irish National party that don’t have any seats.

Last edited:
Meanwhile SF must be having a good old laugh as they are now the Opposition and are preparing for government in a couple of years. If they properly manage their candidates and their vote next time, that is.
This has been their first chance since 1922 to form Government. They have zero interest. They could have formed a minority government and I think the talks lasted 1/2 a day.

While I take your point that broadly the Civil War led to the formations of FF and FG, neither party existed in 1922. The 1921 Treaty led to a split in SF with the anti-Treaty side splitting again to form FF in 1926. The pro-Treaty parties would mutate and coalesce several times before we got FG in 1933.
i didn’t but if I said Sinn Fein I would have had to done the whole family tree

this isn’t even the whole story