Irish general election

Some, not all.
It's all such bollocks. Ulster Scots is a made up dialect of English in a pathetic attempt to counter the Shinners manoevering over the Irish language.

It is not an ethnicity or a race.

The truth is no one speaks either but as long as they annoy 'them uns' it's worth it

It's all such bollocks. Ulster Scots is a made up dialect of English in a pathetic attempt to counter the Shinners manoevering over the Irish language.

The truth is no one speaks either but as long as they annoy 'them uns' it's worth it
Mmm...
All for wiping out dialects are we?
...or just the ones of people you don't like.

No but this one is a pure 21st century fantasy.
It may not meet your standards as a language and thats fine but I'd still like the people who I grew up with to be able to speak it. Particularly the way they speak it when they get a couple in and the grip of school loosens on them.

It may not meet your standards as a language and thats fine but I'd still like the people who I grew up with to be able to speak it. Particularly the way they speak it when they get a couple in and the grip of school loosens on them.
You are obviously fluent in utter bollocks, where are these linguists? ******* nowhere, because it is all made up

You are obviously fluent in utter bollocks, where are these linguists? ******* nowhere, because it is all made up
I didn't say I thought it was a language either but that (or your opinion) doesn't make the dialect and the people who speak it non-existent. For what its worth I think the opposition to the Irish language is a strategic mistake and will cost everyone in the long run.

I didn't say I thought it was a language either but that (or your opinion) doesn't make the dialect and the people who speak it non-existent. For what its worth I think the opposition to the Irish language is a strategic mistake and will cost everyone in the long run.
I think we are agreeing it is utter nonsense and is no more important than the different ways English is spoken all over the UK. Too many people over there see the opportunity for a political advantage and a fast buck. I could predict a school of Ulster Scots at Queens, lots and lots of EU grants, endless debates in Stormont, tri lingual roadsigns and yet no one knows what it is and nobody speaks it. No different to the Irish language or Cornish or Welsh in most of Wales.

Just how many people do you think speak either Irish or Ulster Scots?

Last edited:

Outside of the bible belt in County Antrim..No Unionist gives a fcuk about it.

Personally speaking there shouldn't be a penny given to Ulster-Scots or Irish languages. 144 million quid has been spent on the Irish language in the last 5 years in Northern Ireland.

They put the bus routes in Irish/English on the Falls Rd a few years back and no cnut had a clue were they were going when the Irish was displayed.

I think we are agreeing it is utter nonsense and is no more important than the different ways English is spoken all over the UK. Too many people over there see the opportunity for a political advantage and a fast buck. I could predict a school of Ulster Scots at Queens, lots and lots of EU grants, endless debates in Stormount, tri lingual roadsigns and yet no one knows what it is and nobody speaks it. No different to the Irish language or Cornish or Welsh in most of Wales.

In the 2011 census of Northern Ireland, 16,373 people (0.9% of the population) stated that they can speak, read, write and understand Ulster Scots and 140,204 people (8.1% of the population) reported having some ability in Ulster Scots.

Who verified that ability, oh hang on no one.

I think we are agreeing it is utter nonsense and is no more important than the different ways English is spoken all over the UK. Too many people over there see the opportunity for a political advantage and a fast buck. I could predict a school of Ulster Scots at Queens, lots and lots of EU grants, endless debates in Stormount, tri lingual roadsigns and yet no one knows what it is and nobody speaks it. No different to the Irish language or Cornish or Welsh in most of Wales.

We may agree its not a language but I don't agree with your previously demonstrated agenda in this area.
However I do perceive an opportunity to shed a little light (probably at the cost of generating more heat under your collar).

Queens? Not yet and frankly unlikely anyway, however there is this. Ulster Scots Agency

EU Grants? I didn't have you down as a Brexiteer.

Its Stormont if we are going to do things in English and long may there be debates there. Thats the point of it.

Road signs are mono-lingual in most of the pink bit and bi-lingual throughout the green bit. Where there are signs in NI with Irish or Ulster-Scots (overwhelmingly street signs to my experience see the pic below) there won't be the other one. I'll have to bear tri-lingual sign in mind though there may be some unrealised comedy value there.

Irish is not a language? Curious position for someone who holds your stance on "The Irish Question". Plenty of non- speakers of those non languages about these pages , they can take you up on it first.

Why does it bother you, how someone wishes to converse with other people?
But it's never that simple is it? Oh no it is a cause and a grievance and completley and utterly made up for two reasons, one to stick it to the other side and two to make a fast buck. To be honest with you most of the accents (and that's all it is) in NI are utterly unintelligible to normal human beings.

Well I suppose it is to the 20,000 - 30,000 or so people who actually speak it.
We get it..Prods bad, Taigs good.. Hurry up with the United Ireland.

Just because they grew up listening to Tiocfadh ar la, doesn't mean they can speak the language.

There's more Polish in NI than Irish speakers ffs.

Latest Threads