Irish general election

Hot off the press, given the chance the Tories would dump Northern Ireland in a heartbeat

Hot off the press, given the chance the Tories would dump Northern Ireland in a heartbeat
Nothing new here, it's probably harder to name a UK government which has wanted to keep NI. Getting rid of it without appearing to loose the illusion of UK sovereignty has been the problem.

Nothing new here, it's probably harder to name a UK government which has wanted to keep NI. Getting rid of it without appearing to lose the illusion of UK sovereignty has been the problem.
Should have hoofed it in 1922 when we had the chance.

The vast majority of the English either don't want NI, or don't care. The majority of the Irish don't want NI to join the ROI.

Nothing will change for a while yet, no-one really wants NI, and they are quite happy sucking on the teat of the rUK.
Should have hoofed it in 1922 when we had the chance.
I think they thought it would be temperary affair. That the Irish would all play nicely and solve their differences peacefully. The English can be so naive at times.

your average shipyard worker from East Belfast, even if his ancestors came from England, would not have been Anglo-Irish, but
My understanding was that the Norman descendants were the Anglo - Irish and the planters were the Ulster Scots.

Another one for you:
A new poll from the Belfast Telegraph reveals that post-Brexit, Northern Ireland remains opposed to a united Ireland by the golden percentage of 52%, support for a united Ireland stands at just 29%.
I posted it earlier. Sinn Fein supporters are going mad on social media.

Union Jack

Old-Salt
Start a campaign for English independence then.

Ps I wouldn't fancy being the person, who has to value the Crown Jewels and the palaces etc.. to split them four ways.
We've got our own Crown Jewels and at least one royal palace in Scotland, thank you, and the former are older than the English ones.:)

Jack

My understanding was that the Norman descendants were the Anglo - Irish and the planters were the Ulster Scots.
Mixture of English and Scottish.

"By 1622, a survey found there were 6,402 British adult males on Plantation lands, of whom 3,100 were English and 3,700 Scottish – indicating a total adult planter population of around 12,000"

As well as the fact that NI relies on rUK to stay afloat, I wonder if they'd have the triple whammy of having the umbilical cord cut on top of the fact that they be part of the basket case that is ROI and the sinking ship that is the EU.

If I were an Ulsterman, I'd be doing everything I could to exploit the apathy of the English towards NI.
They've been apathetic for this long..I reckon with the 40 years I have left on Earth..I'll be alright.

We've got our own Crown Jewels and at least one royal palace in Scotland, thank you, and the former are older than the English ones.:)

Jack
They'll be required as a down payment to the EU for membership

West Brit and Anglo-Irish aren't exactly synonymous terms.

For instance Constance Gore-Booth (Countess Markiewicz as she became) was indisputably Anglo-Irish as would have been Willie Yeats and Lady Gregory, or indeed in the years before that Charles Stewart Parnell or Lord Edward Fitzgerald but they most certainly were not West Brits.

Brendan Behan famously defined the Anglo-Irish as "a protestant with a horse". So your average shipyard worker from East Belfast, even if his ancestors came from England, would not have been Anglo-Irish, but Lord Terence O'Neill or the Duke of Abercorn would have been. As would Lord Brookeborough or the Marquis of Londonderry (pronounced "Lahn-dindry" doncha know?) but not Ian Paisley or Gusty Spence.

A West Brit referred originally to anyone in Ireland who regarded themselves as proud Britons (the Scots were North Britons) but later became a term of abuse reserved for Catholic unionists, like Uncle Tom, see also Castle (ie Dublin) Catholics or Shoneens (Little Johnnies, ie followers of John Bull).

Irish politics can be confusing at times, can't it?
Yesand it apperas that the South East Brits are upset too.

Latest Threads