Irish general election

Perhaps the English would like to secede from the Union given the level of subsidies it pays to NI, Wales and Scotland.

Is it only the Irish that enjoy the right to self-determination?

Do you not think that those who pay "for your future" should have a say?
"The English" can dissolve the Union anytime they like. The power is all their's already, right now. If you feel that strongly about it, you should be lobbying your own politicians, there's nothing that people in NI, Wales or Scotland can do about it.

Dredd

LE
Anglo-Irish was a term applied to those who came from Scottish or English stock but who lived in Ireland. So, the “Irish” in Anglo-Irish denoted where they lived.
Is that what started that whatever-American gubbins then? Noticeably, they were doing that looooooong before they came up with the moniker "Native-American".

Double-think ethnicity.

Is that what started that whatever-American gubbins then? Noticeably, they were doing that looooooong before they came up with the moniker "Native-American".

Double-think ethnicity.
No idea. Presumably, it rolled off the tongue easier than West Brit.

I'm not sure that answers the question I asked, which wasn't posed in the poll. Nevertheless, I appreciate your posting it, thanks.
Start a campaign for English independence then.

Ps I wouldn't fancy being the person, who has to value the Crown Jewels and the palaces etc.. to split them four ways.

"The English" can dissolve the Union anytime they like. The power is all their's already, right now. If you feel that strongly about it, you should be lobbying your own politicians, there's nothing that people in NI, Wales or Scotland can do about it.
Perhaps you can expand on that, as I cannot see how that could happen in Parliament given the question is not a solely English one. What power, specifically, are you referring to?

UKTAP

LE
Except the English don't have a parliament or assembly for politicians to sit in. It just happens that the government of the UK is in England. But it's not ours...

Perhaps you can expand on that, as I cannot see how that could happen in Parliament given the question is not a solely English one. What power, specifically, are you referring to?
I'm struggling to see what you have a problem with. The House of Commons has 650 seats, 533 of which represent English constituencies. A majority is inbuilt.

Except the English don't have a parliament or assembly for politicians to sit in. It just happens that the government of the UK is in England. But it's not ours...
The existence or otherwise of an English Parliament is irrelevant. The power to dissolve the Union lies in the House of Commons where English MPs have an inbuilt majority.

No idea. Presumably, it rolled off the tongue easier than West Brit.
West Brit and Anglo-Irish aren't exactly synonymous terms.

For instance Constance Gore-Booth (Countess Markiewicz as she became) was indisputably Anglo-Irish as would have been Willie Yeats and Lady Gregory, or indeed in the years before that Charles Stewart Parnell or Lord Edward Fitzgerald but they most certainly were not West Brits.

Brendan Behan famously defined the Anglo-Irish as "a protestant with a horse". So your average shipyard worker from East Belfast, even if his ancestors came from England, would not have been Anglo-Irish, but Lord Terence O'Neill or the Duke of Abercorn would have been. As would Lord Brookeborough or the Marquis of Londonderry (pronounced "Lahn-dindry" doncha know?) but not Ian Paisley or Gusty Spence.

A West Brit referred originally to anyone in Ireland who regarded themselves as proud Britons (the Scots were North Britons) but later became a term of abuse reserved for Catholic unionists, like Uncle Tom, see also Castle (ie Dublin) Catholics or Shoneens (Little Johnnies, ie followers of John Bull).

Irish politics can be confusing at times, can't it?

Own by the Crown, not the property of Government.

You'll be looking to split up Canada into shares next, of which the Crown Estate owns >90%.
I was under the belief that they were held in trust by the crown estate.
Dissolve the monarchy tomorrow and who would take ownership of the assets?

West Brit and Anglo-Irish aren't exactly synonymous terms.

For instance Constance Gore-Booth (Countess Markiewicz as she became) was indisputably Anglo-Irish as would have been Willie Yeats and Lady Gregory, or indeed in the years before that Charles Stewart Parnell or Lord Edward Fitzgerald but they most certainly were not West Brits.

Brendan Behan famously defined the Anglo-Irish as "a protestant with a horse". So your average shipyard worker from East Belfast, even if his ancestors came from England, would not have been Anglo-Irish, but Lord Terence O'Neill or the Duke of Abercorn would have been. As would Lord Brookeborough or the Marquis of Londonderry (pronounced "Lahn-dindry" doncha know?) but not Ian Paisley or Gusty Spence.

A West Brit referred originally to anyone in Ireland who regarded themselves as proud Britons (the Scots were North Britons) but later became a term of abuse reserved for Catholic unionists, like Uncle Tom, see also Castle (ie Dublin) Catholics or Shoneens (Little Johnnies, ie followers of John Bull).

Irish politics can be confusing at times, can't it?
Just at times?

A Nation Once Again!

The shinnerbots are on over drive today, trying to down play the Belfast Telegraph article showing that only 29% of those polled, want a United Ireland.
99% of Unionists polled want to remain in the UK. 73% of those who are neither Unionist or Nationalist, want to remain in the UK.

If the Provo's are trying to deflect on those stats...They know we're going nowhere anytime soon.

Ohh I might have a wee celebratory whiskey or two tonight, at their expense.

UKTAP

LE
The vast majority of the English either don't want NI, or don't care. The majority of the Irish don't want NI to join the ROI.

Nothing will change for a while yet, no-one really wants NI, and they are quite happy sucking on the teat of the rUK.

The vast majority of the English either don't want NI, or don't care. The majority of the Irish don't want NI to join the ROI.

Nothing will change for a while yet, no-one really wants NI, and they are quite happy sucking on the teat of the rUK.
The vast majority of English just don't care. Polls show more English want us to remain in the UK than those who wish us to leave. 50% just don't form an opinion either way.
Similarly the same figures of English thinking, on Scotland leaving the UK.

I think at the minute the vast majority of the Republic of Ireland would accept a United Ireland..I say at the minute, as no one has told them how much it would actually cost them in tax rises to integrate the two countries annually.

UKTAP

LE
The vast majority of English just don't care. Polls show more English want us to remain in the UK than those who wish us to leave. 50% just don't form an opinion either way.
Similarly the same figures of English thinking, on Scotland leaving the UK.

I think at the minute the vast majority of the Republic of Ireland would accept a United Ireland..I say at the minute, as no one has told them how much it would actually cost them in tax rises to integrate the two countries annually.
As well as the fact that NI relies on rUK to stay afloat, I wonder if they'd have the triple whammy of having the umbilical cord cut on top of the fact that they be part of the basket case that is ROI and the sinking ship that is the EU.

If I were an Ulsterman, I'd be doing everything I could to exploit the apathy of the English towards NI.

There's your poll. Your fellow country folk, are insouciant.
View attachment 450667
Another one for you:
A new poll from the Belfast Telegraph reveals that post-Brexit, Northern Ireland remains opposed to a united Ireland by the golden percentage of 52%, support for a united Ireland stands at just 29%.

Latest Threads