Irish general election

Aren't they looking to harmonise tax rates which would affect all those international firms like apple who have set up there because of low buisness tax rates.
It's the "holy grail" of "ever closer union".....and where Ireland will miss the UK most, given that Ireland has hidden behind UK skirts on the matter for the last decade.

"US tax inversion" transactions didn't stop because Ireland changed the rules. Rather, they stopped because Obama made them illegal in the US. In response, Ireland altered its tax code, creating a far more insidious a malevolent corporate tax environment (i.e. by creating a new class of business, specifically aimed at attracting multi-national IP based businesses, and regulated by the central bank.....while at the same time making it illegal (under criminal law) for the central bank to share tax data with the Irish tax office).

When the inevitable happens, Ireland will be in a very sorry place......with few friends.

And Orangefield has gone.....a metaphor for the times
Yeah another school in East Belfast shut by a Sinn Fein education minister. There's only 1 secondary school now in the East, Ashfield Boys and Girls. 3 primary schools closed as well under Sinn Fein.

It's the "holy grail" of "ever closer union".....and where Ireland will miss the UK most, given that Ireland has hidden behind UK skirts on the matter for the last decade.

"US tax inversion" transactions didn't stop because Ireland changed the rules. Rather, they stopped because Obama made them illegal in the US. In response, Ireland altered its tax code, creating a far more insidious a malevolent corporate tax environment (i.e. by creating a new class of business, specifically aimed at attracting multi-national IP based businesses, and regulated by the central bank.....while at the same time making it illegal (under criminal law) for the central bank to share tax data with the Irish tax office).

When the inevitable happens, Ireland will be in a very sorry place......with few friends.
I have no sympathy. What with them and the frogs trying to nick our buisness. About time they got there comeuppance.

I have no sympathy. What with them and the frogs trying to nick our buisness. About time they got there comeuppance.
Ireland is the Magic Money Tree.....

its GDP is $85k, more than twice that of the UK - on paper.

the reality is, despite Northern Ireland being allegedly far poorer than the Republic, just 1/3rd of the Republics GDP, with no obstruction to moving to it, we are not seeing much movement of people to the on paper vastly richer south.

When those emperors new wheels come off, it’s going to be spectacular

Last edited:

the reality is, despite Northern Ireland being allegedly far poorer than the Republic, just 1/3rd of the Republics GDP, with no obstruction to moving to it, we are not seeing much movement of people to the on paper vastly richer south.

Is there any danger of the EU asking them to pay more because of the GDP is higher and therefore more able to contribute?

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

How many catholic schools closed?
There is no Catholic schools in East Belfast. John O'Dowd closed schools in Protestant area's whilst saving this school.

'At that time it had 121 pupils, considerably fewer than the 500 required to be "viable". Last year that had dropped to just 89.'

Last edited:
There is no Catholic schools in East Belfast. John O'Dowd closed schools in Protestant area's whilst saving this school.

'At that time it had 121 pupils, considerably fewer than the 500 required to be "viable". Last year that had dropped to just 89.'
I was asking about catholic schools in general.
I didn't think that there were any in East Belfast.

Disposable-Income-6.png

When you look at that image, the ROI is pretty much similar to England, in that the wealth is kind of disproportionately around the Dublin area.

The rest of the ROI doesn't really fare any better than Northern Ireland.

I was asking about catholic schools in general.
I didn't think that there were any in East Belfast.
I honestly couldn't answer that. I know that a few Catholic maintained schools were saved when they really should've been closed..but then it could be a rural scenario that saved them.

I'm sure someone down South would be in a better position to comment on the validity of this infographic.
Screenshot_20200217-115846_Facebook.jpg

Nobody's brave enough to poll the English to determine their views.
Why would they though? It's for the people of NI, alone to determine our future.

Plus someone on one these threads recently put up a poll, that showed the majority of those polled in England, said it was for us to decide alone.

Why would they though? It's for the people of NI, alone to determine our future.
Perhaps the English would like to secede from the Union given the level of subsidies it pays to NI, Wales and Scotland.

Is it only the Irish that enjoy the right to self-determination?

Do you not think that those who pay "for your future" should have a say?

Perhaps the English would like to secede from the Union given the level of subsidies it pays to NI, Wales and Scotland.

Is it only the Irish that enjoy the right to self-determination?

Do you not think that those who pay "for your future" should have a say?
There's your poll. Your fellow country folk, are insouciant.
EHXZXdlX4AE9yVY.png

Latest Threads