Irish general election

Big Fat Arlene needs to put out The Call. Country First. I've been told by various former R.C. colleagues in the NICS "The UUP hate Catholics, the DUP REALLY hate Catholics. and Homosexualists.

We need a UKIP moment. Having been engaged to an RC* who was broadly unionist in her point of view, the opportunity is going begging. As @British_And_Proud has correctly pointed out, there's a lot of vanity going on.

* Patricia left us on 21.05.2009. She was a scary 6 foot blue-eyed blonde with a bad attitude who took shit from no-one. She chased AllIRAnce canvassers from our door on the Oldpark
I have been reading the Irish Independent on an occaisonal basis for a couple of decades, just to see what is going on down south and their attitude to the North. I found their articles and opinion very fair minded towards the unionists.

Connor Cruise-O'Brien wrote a few articles both for them and the DT before he karked it. He stated that he came from strong republican roots but he was now a unionist. I know that CCB is a bit of a controversial character in Irish history especially concerning the Congo and Jagotville.

There was a big article in the saturday review on 1st February about how the government will treat the upcoming 100th aniversaries of events in the civil war and the formation of Northern Ireland.

I wonder if it might be classed as a 'West Brit' paper by the T.A.L. boys.

For a long time after 1922 all accounts of Irish history seem to have been written by the highly inflated accounts by Breen, O'Malley, and Barry. Plus the series of novels written by the IRA's official historian - Tim Pat Coogan.

Nobody on the British side was interested in what happened or what was subsequently happining in the Republic, having just survived one World War, a Second Fixture looming, trouble in the Empire, and the future Cold War.There are very few books if any about the Anglo-Irish War.

In the republic nothing much happened other than poverty, a Catholic Talibann, and old Dev almost causing a second famine after provoking a trade war with the UK in the thirties.

Recently though I have noticed a whole spectrim of opinion in the Republic re-examining the events of 1916 and 1919-23 and how things might have worked out differently.

Last edited:
I read the Irish Independent too, a mate brings me a paper copy from when he's visiting his GF in Dalkey. Some very brave editorials. The one comparing the Shinners to the Nazis was of particular note.

I read the Irish Independent too, a mate brings me a paper copy from when he's visiting his GF in Dalkey. Some very brave editorials. The one comparing the Shinners to the Nazis was of particular note.
Well they did have a bit of history with the Nazis. And other Facist groups.

In my mind, and a lot of my old mates agree, the RUC and the UDR were the true Loyalists. Whichever church they went to on Sunday.
I'd say I'm a true Loyalist, but never had any interest or intent of shooting civilians. That was the IRA's job. I just wanted to HELP people, and we did that , both when I was UDR and PSNI.

Wee lad walked into a pole (parking sign I think) in Carrick town centre. He swallowed his tongue. I was right in there, NI gloves and fished it out. His mother was flapping big time, my esteemed colleague calmed her down.

UDR 1 Death 0 Final score

Loads of stuff when I was a Peeler, including picking up a guy from The Parliament Bar who was "drunk and aggressive", He wasn't drunk, he was hypoglycaemic. Hospital, straight away. Kinda a full circle for me: cops took me to hospital after a road accident.

We had fun times, let's leave it at that. I got gubbed by a paint bomb at Ardoyne Shopfronts, and that, as they say, was THAT. Const. McM***** sprinted 60 yards in full PO gear, all five foot 2 of her, to drag me behind the LR.

That was the end of me in Police. I have thrombocytopenia, my blood doesn't clot properly. Pissed off about that, I enjoyed kicking in doors, taking down names and being THE POLICE.

My best mate is still in, he's an Inspector.

D99E8F7D-E462-4E89-B8A9-FED14C1386A2.jpeg

Just you wait til the next lot of TD’s take charge of a reunited Ireland

I'd say I'm a true Loyalist, but never had any interest or intent of shooting civilians. That was the IRA's job. I just wanted to HELP people, and we did that , both when I was UDR and PSNI.

Wee lad walked into a pole (parking sign I think) in Carrick town centre. He swallowed his tongue. I was right in there, NI gloves and fished it out. His mother was flapping big time, my esteemed colleague calmed her down.

Loads of stuff when I was a Peeler, including picking up a guy from The Parliament Bar who was "drunk and aggressive", He wasn't drunk, he was hypoglycaemic. Hospital, straight away. Kinda a full circle for me: cops took me to hospital after a road accident.

We had fun times, let's leave it at that. I got gubbed by a paint bomb at Ardoyne Shopfronts, and that, as they say, was THAT. Const. McM***** sprinted 60 yards in full PO gear, all five foot 2 of her, to drag me behind the LR.

That was the end of me in Police. I have thrombocytopenia, my blood doesn't clot properly. Pissed off about that, I enjoyed kicking in doors, taking down names and being THE POLICE.

I think if a United Ireland came about, the PSNI would still stay in place for a good few decades at least. For reassurance to the Protestant community, and for the depths of their local knowledge.

On my first tour there was a cop at the station who was a Catholic, BTW he never got any grief for that. He joined the Police to help his community. In my opinion he was more of a Loyalist than those nutjobs on the Shankill. Oh, and he was a Reserve.

Last edited:
On my first tour there was a cop at the station who was a Catholic, BTW he never got any grief for that. He joined the Police to help his community. In my opinion he was more of of a Loyalist than those nutjobs on the Shankill. Oh, and he was a Reserve.
This.

MrMemory

War Hero
Interest piece from Peter Hitchens today, which quotes a PSNI report from 2015 -

"SinnFein continues to be overseen by the deadliest terror group of the Troubles, which although much reduced in scale and 'committed to the peace process', still has 'specific' departments and 'regional command structures', gathers intelligence, retains weapons and may engage in 'isolated violence' including murder".

Interest piece from Peter Hitchens today, which quotes a PSNI report from 2015 -

"SinnFein continues to be overseen by the deadliest terror group of the Troubles, which although much reduced in scale and 'committed to the peace process', still has 'specific' departments and 'regional command structures', gathers intelligence, retains weapons and may engage in 'isolated violence' including murder".
Yet the head of the PSNI, reporting to Stormont last week, claimed he does not believe it's his position to comment on the status of the Provisional IRA.

On my first tour there was a cop at the station who was a Catholic, BTW he never got any grief for that. He joined the Police to help his community. In my opinion he was more of a Loyalist than those nutjobs on the Shankill. Oh, and he was a Reserve.
Apparently back in the days of the RIC most of the constables serving in Shankill RIC station were catholics from outside Ulster because the RIC men could not serve in their home areas or their wife's if they were married.

About 20% of the RUC were catholic when they were formed in 1922. I remember Sean O'Callaghan the IRA informer say in his book that one of the two peaple he murdered was a catholic RUC sergeant in Omagh in 1974, whose father or grandfather had transfered from the RIC to RUC in 1922. The other person was an unarmed UDR Greenfinch.

If a united Ireland came about, its my belief that the Irish authorites would make a special effort to ensure that the loyalists were convinced of their protection. The basis of my belief is their experience in UN missions, where the importance of showing a balanced hand to avoid violence is major factor.

If a united Ireland came about, its my belief that the Irish authorites would make a special effort to ensure that the loyalists were convinced of their protection. The basis of my belief is their experience in UN missions, where the importance of showing a balanced hand to avoid violence is major factor.
A sort of Operation Banner 2 ?

A sort of Operation Banner 2 ?
No, a lot easier than that. When we were over there in numbers, it was at a time of economic slump so no jobs, bored blokes with no prospects etc - and we were straight away on the wrong foot. Now theres economic prospects and people do have jobs to go to come Monday morning, so while problems exist, it won't be to the same level.

Latest Threads