Irish general election

Taoiseach prior to Varadkar

@PhotEx
Strange because Dev was what is now Fianna Fáil, not what is now Fine Gael (ie different ends of the Irish political spectrum and Irish Civil War
Irelands always done best when run by the Mayo Mafia.

Mike Barton

War Hero
You are telling me that the Irish Army are well placed to go in hard against the Prods in NI backed up by their Braveheart mates in Scotland. Their EU masters might have something to say about that.

The Free state was able to be ruthless in the Civil war because they were backed up by the evil Brits who supplied big Mick Artillery for the Four Courts and trained manpower from the disbanded Irish regiments. In fact he was told by Churchill "sort it out you big Irish ejeet or we will re-occupy your rain soaked, god forsaken bog, full of annoying peasants".
I am saying exactly that. There is the endlessly trotted out nonsense that "Dublin couldn't cope with a million angry Prods", bollocks they couldn't! (for a start I don't even think there is a million of 'em these days).

As I said before it's not 1912 or 1974 when the loyalists had the backing, overt and covert, of the British establishment and the Prods could muster 100,000 men on the streets within the hour, all armed to the teeth. That's nearly half a century ago, they can hardly find enough people to make a decent Orange walk these days.

The Prods aren't going to fight anyone. Who's going to do the fighting, the flute band boys? Who are they going to fight? With what? And more importantly to what end? What would they hope to achieve?

And if in the extremely unlikely situation that they did decide to cut up rough, trust me, the Irish wouldn't adopt the 30-year "civil contingency" approach that the British took. There'd be no static check points of bored squaddies, no constant, never-ending two-year deployments of troops to do endless foot patrols, for one to be picked off by a sniper once a year or the occasional IED attack. The Irish would opt for the Sri Lanka approach, as the Free State did in the Civil War (as a legitimate state power they would have access to all forms of arms and equipment and credit on the world market to pay for it) they would simply roll in and kick seven types of shite out of any wee Belfast spidey that tried to stand in their way.

And guess what? the rest of the world, the US, the EU and yes the UK would turn a blind eye and tell them to get on with it.

But it would never happen, the "million angry Prods" are a paper tiger, they're like the South African whites that were referred to earlier. The middle class ones would simply put up with it, the ones that didn't like it would leave, the last ditchers, the few of them, would end up in the ditch they asked for.

par avion

War Hero
I am saying exactly that. There is the endlessly trotted out nonsense that "Dublin couldn't cope with a million angry Prods", bollocks they couldn't! (for a start I don't even think there is a million of 'em these days).

As I said before it's not 1912 or 1974 when the loyalists had the backing, overt and covert, of the British establishment and the Prods could muster 100,000 men on the streets within the hour, all armed to the teeth. That's nearly half a century ago, they can hardly find enough people to make a decent Orange walk these days.

The Prods aren't going to fight anyone. Who's going to do the fighting, the flute band boys? Who are they going to fight? With what? And more importantly to what end? What would they hope to achieve?

And if in the extremely unlikely situation that they did decide to cut up rough, trust me, the Irish wouldn't adopt the 30-year "civil contingency" approach that the British took. There'd be no static check points of bored squaddies, no constant, never-ending two-year deployments of troops to do endless foot patrols, for one to be picked off by a sniper once a year or the occasional IED attack. The Irish would opt for the Sri Lanka approach, as the Free State did in the Civil War (as a legitimate state power they would have access to all forms of arms and equipment and credit on the world market to pay for it) they would simply roll in and kick seven types of shite out of any wee Belfast spidey that tried to stand in their way.

And guess what? the rest of the world, the US, the EU and yes the UK would turn a blind eye and tell them to get on with it.

But it would never happen, the "million angry Prods" are a paper tiger, they're like the South African whites that were referred to earlier. The middle class ones would simply put up with it, the ones that didn't like it would leave, the last ditchers, the few of them, would end up in the ditch they asked for.
Admit it Mike. You are Grand Da Joe from Derry Girls aren't you!

The Irish would opt for the Sri Lanka approach, as the Free State did in the Civil War (as a legitimate state power they would have access to all forms of arms and equipment and credit on the world market to pay for it) they would simply roll in and kick seven types of shite out of any wee Belfast spidey that tried to stand in their way.
You're embarrassing yourself more than ususal Mike, which is quite the achievement.

I rather suspect the Prods have no idea how rough An Garda Síochánas Special Branch can play....

Really don't think the Irish defence force would do a Sri Lanka. Firstly, such behaviour would not be entertained by the members of the Irish forces I know, and secondly, the Republic would really not accept the poisoned chalice of reunification if it felt it had to embark on the Irish equivalent of op Banner.

Really don't think the Irish defence force would do a Sri Lanka. Firstly, such behaviour would not be entertained by the members of the Irish forces I know, and secondly, the Republic would really not accept the poisoned chalice of reunification if it felt it had to embark on the Irish equivalent of op Banner.
concur, but while PSNI has gone all touchy freely, even the IRA generally avoided getting on the wrong side of the lads in plain clothes down south.

This ^. Everyone I know from the Gardai and Irish Army has always said there was no way they would do what we were expected to do and would rather quit than be made to do it.

Let's face facts, no-one is forcing anyone into a United Ireland and it won't be happening until a substantial section of the Unionist community change their mind and want it.

If anyone thinks the sight of 25% of the ROI electorate voting for PSF members who promptly start shouting 'Up the RA' and singing 'come out ye black and tans' makes that more likely then they need to give their head a wobble.

This ^. Everyone I know from the Gardai and Irish Army has always said there was no way they would do what we were expected to do and would rather quit than be made to do it.

Let's face facts, no-one is forcing anyone into a United Ireland and it won't be happening until a substantial section of the Unionist community change their mind and want it.

If anyone thinks the sight of 25% of the ROI electorate voting for PSF members who promptly start shouting 'Up the RA' and singing 'come out ye black and tans' makes that more likely then they need to give their head a wobble.
Totally agree. Anything else would be against the GFA, you know the one the RoI, the EU, and Pelosi have fought so hard to ensure isn't breached by the nasty Brits. While I agree with @mikebarton that there are no million angry Prods, there are at least 150,000 ex service personnel in NI who would be casting a worried eye over their shoulders in a UI, not to forget former RUC. Civil disobedience can take many forms other than violence.

Totally agree. Anything else would be against the GFA, you know the one the RoI, the EU, and Pelosi have fought so hard to ensure isn't breached by the nasty Brits. While I agree with @mikebarton that there are no million angry Prods, there are at least 150,000 ex service personnel in NI who would be casting a worried eye over their shoulders in a UI, not to forget former RUC. Civil disobedience can take many forms other than violence.
there are Probably as many ex service people south of the border.
It’s never been an issue.

Actingunpaid

Clanker
If SF/IRA do manage to form a government,I expect Spudexit to be on the cards as they hate everybody not Oirish.'We don't need the EU,we're massively rich' says new Taosich Ms. Potato Head.:lol:

Hang on …...The British government predicted the result all along , that's why they are recalling everyone in their 50's to the Colours .

Latest Threads