• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Irish coroner creates new form of death

#1
Only in the Emerald Isle

'First Irish case' of death by spontaneous combustion
West Galway coroner Dr Ciaran McLoughlin Dr McLoughlin said he had attempted to find an explanation
Continue reading the main story
Related Stories

Does spontaneous human combustion exist?

A man who burned to death in his home died as a result of spontaneous combustion, an Irish coroner has ruled.

It is believed to be the first case of its kind in Ireland.

West Galway coroner Dr Ciaran McLoughlin said it was the first time in 25 years of investigating deaths that he had recorded such a verdict.

Michael Faherty, 76, died at his home at Clareview Park, Ballybane, Galway on 22 December 2010.

Deaths attributed by some to "spontaneous combustion" occur when a living human body is burned without an apparent external source of ignition.

Typically police or fire investigators find burned corpses but no burned furniture.

BBC News - 'First Irish case' of death by spontaneous combustion
 
#2
Doesn't sound like they've invented a new cause of death to me - the article says it's the appropriate term to use when the source of the fire is not apparent; and in this case, the coroner said it wasn't. Guess the terms used in the same sense as 'act of god'.

edit: my bad - didn't realise this was in the NAAFI !
 
T

trowel

Guest
#3
Only in the Emerald Isle

'First Irish case' of death by spontaneous combustion
West Galway coroner Dr Ciaran McLoughlin Dr McLoughlin said he had attempted to find an explanation
Continue reading the main story
Related Stories

Does spontaneous human combustion exist?

A man who burned to death in his home died as a result of spontaneous combustion, an Irish coroner has ruled.

It is believed to be the first case of its kind in Ireland.

West Galway coroner Dr Ciaran McLoughlin said it was the first time in 25 years of investigating deaths that he had recorded such a verdict.

Michael Faherty, 76, died at his home at Clareview Park, Ballybane, Galway on 22 December 2010.

Deaths attributed by some to "spontaneous combustion" occur when a living human body is burned without an apparent external source of ignition.

Typically police or fire investigators find burned corpses but no burned furniture.

BBC News - 'First Irish case' of death by spontaneous combustion
So no-one spotted the empty Bushmills bottle, the pack of "Sweet Afton", and the box of Swan Vesta?
 
#4
Spontaneous Combustion was a favourite cause of death in Victorian/Dickensian London,because they could not detect the presence of inflammable substances after they had combusted.......
 
#5
[/NAAFI]To be serious for a moment, this sounds a typical scenario for this type of rare and rather puzzling event. I do not think that the Almighty would only take the trouble to strike down individuals who happened to be near a fireplace with a chimney.[NAAFI]
 

Latest Threads