• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Irish Connections

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
HavocIRL said:
www.21infantry.com

My units website. The Irish Reserve Defence Forces, its where all the british surplus gear from after WW2 went.
Quote from 21 Inf website

Men and women between 17 and 34 years of age (under 35).

Classic!

Auld Yin, you'd be surprised how the 'under 35' catches people out. Its a very precise, pedantic definition of an age: Under 35 is 34. Under or equal is 35. Over 35 is 36.

And yes, I was caught out by it. You'd think it was a loophole but it aint.

On paper there is no equivalent of the ACF. On paper the RDF (was called FCA) is the equivalent of the TA. But I'd say in reality the RDF is probably somewhere between ACF and TA.

Tricam.

No. There is the FCA, (Foras Coisaint Aitula,) Local Defence Force, and thats underfunded and officered by men from the Pernament Defence Force.

In an attempt to improve the FCA, one company in every PDF battalion with be intergrated with FCA members drawn from the two/three reserve battalions.

However, no, there is not 'Cadet' type force.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Bombard said:
Auld Yin, you'd be surprised how the 'under 35' catches people out. Its a very precise, pedantic definition of an age: Under 35 is 34. Under or equal is 35. Over 35 is 36.

And yes, I was caught out by it. You'd think it was a loophole but it aint.
OK thickhead on:

under 35 is 34 (I will take below 34 as read)
over 35 is 36 (same as above)

Problem

Under or equal is 35! Equal I will accept but under 35 being 35 does not compute with me.

If I am 35 (and I am well past that) could I join up using the 'under 35' rule? Does this run along the same lines of retiring at 65 when in fact we retire on the day before our 65th birthday therefore actually retire at 64?

I must say this is very good vodka I have here.

I tried to join as officer aged 27, limits were under 27 on 10 october. (this a few years ago)

I was disqualified as being too old, as under 27 meant being 26 on that date. Not bitter or anything, of course.

I might have the ages wrong, but you get my drift. The following year, they increased the ages by a year.

HavocIRL,

Thanks for the link. I've had the pleasure of serving alongside the IDF on numerous tours and come away enriched by the experience ( & the Guiness). It's a shame our two armies don't come together more on courses and exercises.

I have a plaque from your EOD on my office wall - much to the chagrin of some of my ' flat earth society brethren' - of which I am mighty proud.

The under 35 has confused the f*ck out of people before.

You must be 34 years and 364 days old or less on the attestation date.

You'd be surprised the amount of people who think under 35 means 35 years and 6 months is ok

Latest Threads