Irish Citizen Tax

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by irishpacker, Jan 10, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Hey,

    I'm just interested to know what the situation with taxation is with regard to being an Irish citizen in the British Army? How does it work?

    I'll be heading to my Main Board soon, so touch wood I'll be going into Sanhurst by the end of the year. Cheers for the advice!
  2. You pay the same tax as everyone else. Being Irish makes no difference to the UK taxman.
  3. Ha, of course! I didn't mean my question like that! What I was asking was will I be taxed as a UK citizen or do I pay my taxes to the Irish government? How does that system work?? I assume I'll be given the appropriate PPSN number etc.. (or the UK equivilant) so my taxes go to the UK?
  4. I can only say that you must be a bit thick but here's the answer to the question. If the UK Government is paying your wages then the tax on that wage goes back to the same Government.

    Try not to let the Irish down too much if you do join up!!
  5. Thats a wee bit harsh now... But yes, I really don't know anything about taxation, I'm a simple Arts student! I know plenty of people who work or make money in other countries but are registered in Ireland so they pay their income taxes here, Obviously I was wrong!
  6. Well done for sticking you head above the parapet. Enjoy your time in the Army. Don't worry too much about where you come from; tax will be calculated from where you live.
  7. That's not harsh that's just banter!
  8. In order for them to do that legally then they have to remain non-resident in the country they are working in and declare themselves still resident in Ireland. This often requires them to limit they're time in the country they are working in (which for you will be the UK... at least to begin with!). I assume if you're signing up you're not going to be expecting your regiment to release you for over 6 months so you can hop on a plane to remain outside the UK tax domain for the necessary 180+ days it requires to declare yourself non-resident. So regardless of Irish citizenship you will have to content yourself with taking the Queens' shilling and handing an obscene amount of it back to Her Majesties Treasury to fund Gordon Browns next hair brained bailout!
  9. On a related note, what about cars? I've a car in Dublin which I might be bringing over so do I have to pay an import tax on it? Ironically I originally bought it in London if that makes any difference.
  10. That makes sense. Cheers mate
  11. Have a look at this to answer your question.
  12. BTW if you pay less tax to the UK than you would have in the Republic the Irish government will want the difference over the last 7 years payed to them when you come back. GF's dad was hit with a bill for 10s of thousands of punts, he only managed to avoid paying it by having an English grandparent , you might not be so lucky.
  13. That's complete bollox.
  14. Good luck with the main board Irishpacker. If you can get a British National Insurance Number & Tax Code prior to going to Sandhurst it will make things easier for you.

    I attach a link on the procedure for getting a NI #

    Unfortuntately the 0845 number will not work from the South.

    Suggest you try the JobCentre plus in Belfast:
    Jobs & Benefits office - Shaftesbury Square
    Conor Building
    107 Great Victoria Street
    BT2 7AG
    Telephone: 028 9054 5500
    FAX: 028 9054 5444
    Opening Hours
    Monday to Wednesday and Friday from 9:00 am to 4:30 pm.

    Thursday from 10:00 am to 4:30 pm.

    Speak to them, it may be worth coming up to Belfast for the day on the train to see them face to face.

    Alternatively give the AFCO a shout at Palace & see of they can assist you.

    If you need any more help PM me.

    Alternatively I know of a couple of pubs on the Lower Newtownards Road that will sell you a wooden National Insurance Number & Tax Code for £20 :wink:
  15. If you are currently earning in Ireland then you should save a bit of tax this year. Where you are changing residency each country should only tax you on your income in that State, but each still gives you your full tax allowances for the year.

    If you need more info look at the links below or google 'split year residency'.