Irish Army Ranger Wing to succeed SAS in Helmand.

There are increasing stories that the Irish Army Ranger Wing is preparing to send 150 men along with 150 Swedish SF to Helmand in October.

They are to be attached to American SF and the combined unit is expected to replace approx 1,000 British SAS who are to be withdrawn with the entire main British contingent from Helmand by December.

This apparently is a well-advanced plan and anticipates a possible scenario of a conservative/Lib.Dem Coalition.

Walt.R.Greenjacket said:
There are increasing stories that the Irish Army Ranger Wing is preparing to send 150 men along with 150 Swedish SF to Helmand in October.

They are to be attached to American SF and the combined unit is expected to replace approx 1,000 British SAS who are to be withdrawn with the entire main British contingent from Helmand by December.

This apparently is a well-advanced plan and anticipates a possible scenario of a conservative/Lib.Dem Coalition.
1000 SAS?

So 300 guys are going to replace 1000?

And since when do we have 1000 SAS?

And... and.... and.... and

I can't be bothered any more. Some things are just too easy to mock...

[Apologies, that should read British SAS/Special Forces Group.

quote="ringdoby"]
Walt.R.Greenjacket said:

1000 SAS?[/quote]

Walt.R.Greenjacket said:

Erm, who's giving you these stories? The voices in your head?
1000 SAS? Withdrawal of British forces from Helmand by Dec?

FFS, I'm a life-long civvie who's never been closer to Afghanistan than a ten day holiday in Greece and I can spot the double-decker-bus-sized holes in this 'story'.

WRGJ, you're a bluffer and a sh!t one at that. Do one, and only come back when you've got some real news or a genuine contribution please.

Edited to add: WRGJ - usual form when posting a story like this is to give a link or some secondary source to back it up. Otherwise it's just appears like "Here's some stuff I made up".

maybe what people are getting confused with is the re-role of Uk personnel from Helmand to somewhere else in Afgahniland - although this is still a spurous (sp) storey at best from the Yanky doodles!!!

Ah, will ya be taking the piss there Mr taliban man?

Feck, this is getting old.

It all stems from questions asked in Dail about the status of DF personnel in Afghanistan. Seeing as nobody in the airsoft community knew anything about an Irish military presence there an inverse Occams Razor was applied and it was assumed that it must be related to the O'Them.

A seven man liaison team with ISAF in Kabul under the auspices of PfP isn't nearly as exciting.

The first link is here, and there is a big story due next week in the Irish Independent also

http://www.independent.ie/national-...be-asked-to-serve-in-afghanistan-1849639.html

Tax_Tw-t said:
Walt.R.Greenjacket said:

Erm, who's giving you these stories? The voices in your head?
1000 SAS? Withdrawal of British forces from Helmand by Dec?

FFS, I'm a life-long civvie who's never been closer to Afghanistan than a ten day holiday in Greece and I can spot the double-decker-bus-sized holes in this 'story'.

WRGJ, you're a bluffer and a sh!t one at that. Do one, and only come back when you've got some real news or a genuine contribution please.

Edited to add: WRGJ - usual form when posting a story like this is to give a link or some secondary source to back it up. Otherwise it's just appears like "Here's some stuff I made up".

I looked at the link, but I'm not seeing a reference to the Ranger Wing. Or any reference to potential deployment location.

It's true that the DF have been looking for a job since the holidays in Chad have been cancelled, but between sunny Goz Beida and RC-S we are not exactly looking at the same kind of mission...you reckon the Republic is ready for the body bags ?

The article in its entirety:

Monday August 03 2009

IRISH peacekeeping troops may be asked to serve in Afghanistan if the Government accepts recommendations to abruptly end Defence Forces participation in the United Nations peacekeeping mission in Chad.

Government ministers have been warned that an early end to our role in Chad will result in pressure from the UN and major international players to send soldiers to Afghanistan.

At present the Defence Forces have a minor deployment of seven personnel, including bomb disposal experts and an intelligence cell, attached to the UN mission headquarters in a secure compound in the Afghan capital, Kabul.

But rising threat levels there in the past year resulted in the purchase of armoured Nissan patrol vehicles from Spain to provide greater protection for the Irish personnel when they leave the compound.

The UN is expected to seek a large contingent of Irish troops for Afghanistan if we leave the Chad mission in the coming months.

The proposal to withdraw from Chad in March -- two years after Irish troops joined the mission there -- was made by An Bord Snip Nua last month.
Awesome leap of logic there WRGJ, truly awesome. I repeat, you're a bluffer, and a sh!t one.

Tax_Tw-t said:
Walt.R.Greenjacket said:

Withdrawal of British forces from Helmand by Dec?

T_T

I hope you'll be as quick and as vocal to apologise to WRGJ should any of his post prove true in the coming months.

the_Bat :evil:

Latest Threads