Irish Army in Chad

Discussion in 'Ireland (ie. Irish Defence Force)' started by flamingo, Mar 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The Irish Army took a brand new UAV to Chad, and sent it on it's first mission, but had not reprogramed it to the new location. It was last seen trying to find it's way back to the Curragh 2,990 miles away, but only had an endurance of 1 1/2 hrs. Air Force Monthly March 2009
  2. Ho Hum,

I'm sure no one else has ever done anything similar.
  3. Exactly right. It's the first time in the history of mankind. :D :D :D

4. Yer but it's still very funny
  5. your mothers moustache is even funnier

but none of us here had the bad manners to mention it

My bad
    if your going to tell a story tell the full story
    Unbeknownst to us their was a default mechanism on the craft that
    if their was a recognised problem then the craft would return to a default
    setting- When travelling inland across a barren roadless area the craft was jarred and the default return setting kicked in

it was never found- but the manufacturers warranty kicked in
    and we received a brand new updated model which is now back in Chad.
  6. For some reason I cant put the accident report on this thread but it is true honist
  7. we all know what happened
    and our knowledge is not gleamed from Air Force Monthly or the Daily Star
    You however dont know the full story.
  8. Go on enlighten me
  9. I told you aleady

but th eshort version

on the transport up from the coast on African roads the transport was jarred and the UAV was damaged internally

there was an unknown default mechanism on the UAV that in the event of damage it would return to its home base- ( The DFTC)

the self test system didnt detect a problem and the operators sent it up- the problem kicked in and the UAV
    headed for home.
    The manufacturers warranty kicked in and they replaced the UAV with a newer model
    which is now flying around Chad.

Why did you think that was funny
  10. Don't mind him Hedgie, look at his location - he's just a sore loser after Saturday!

(just to mention, to quote Max Boyce - "I was there!" :D )

Oh good,

Thank god we didn't send any more troops to that horribly dangerous Afghanistan place. Much safer out in the desert trying to establish comms between your digital encrypted radio and your neighbouring contingent's network of tin cans on a string.
  12. MINURCAT is largely made up of troops from some of the poorest countries in the world, including Bangladesh, Ecuador, Gabon, Kyrgyzstan, Mali, Nepal, Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal, Yemen, Burkina Faso, Guinea, Madagascar and Togo.

Not reassuring....
  13. Great piece wasnt it

he also wrote a very good column commenting on the MP's expenses

saying how many sets of body armour could have been purchased instead of

cleaning a moat- decorating a flat etc

he is a great supporter of the Irish Defence Forces