Irish army finds Chad too hard

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Pararegtom, May 7, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

2. The CO has taken a decision to lower injuries whilst in the field.
    That's it basically and good on him.

I agree with you Tom, another non-story.

Bloody BBC :roll:

3. From what I'm reading it looks like Chad is about to kick off, and my guess is the French will do a runner for a host of post colonial and domestic political reasons. Or they might just buy a local warlord a Ferrari and back him for the presidemtial palace in time-honoured fashion.

Not a good place to go to for a game of volley ball this summer.

If things do go pear-shaped I'd worry about the Irish contingent because of where their base is, and their reported lack of extraction and medivac facilities. Those janjaweed fellows from Sudan would be tricky to deal with I imagine.

I was talking to some NGO guys the other day (recently returned from Chad) and they didn't paint a pretty picture of the place. They also criticised the Frenchies' attitudes to refugees/IDPs - particularly troops from Ghana who arrived into their compound in French APCs and were allegedly quite happy to swing their batons against a bunch of fugees who were peacefully complaining about a lack ot tents.
    Not cricket that.

4. Humanitarian staff evacuated as rebels head for Irish base
    CONOR LALLY

Thu, May 07, 2009

IRISH TROOPS in Chad have evacuated 65 humanitarian staff and are now braced for serious unrest as hundreds of heavily-armed rebels move towards their base in the east of the country.

The rebels, travelling in columns of 4X4 vehicles, began pouring into eastern Chad from Sudan’s Darfur region on Monday night. Some of the world’s biggest humanitarian agencies became so concerned for the safety of their staff yesterday morning that they asked the Irish troops to evacuate them.

Some 67 aid workers and 11 security personnel were evacuated from camps for refugees and internally displaced persons (IDPs) in Goz Amer, 35kms south of Goz Beida, where about 400 Irish troops are based at Camp Ciara.

The evacuation was carried out by a group of Irish troops from the 99th Infantry Battalion. They were asked by Victor Angelo, special representative of the UN secretary general, to conduct a patrol into the troubled area and extract any aid workers who wanted to leave.

It was unclear last night if the Irish patrol had gone back into the danger zone once the evacuation was complete.

However, the Irish had not taken up protective positions immediately around the Goz Amer camps, where 20,000 refugees and 50,000 IDPs are living. Some of the humanitarian staff opted to stay with the refugees and IDPs.

Most of the evacuees – who work for the UNHCR, Oxfam and the World Food Programme – were last night being accommodated in Camp Ciara. Others were staying in compounds and offices in Goz Beida owned by their organisations.

The Irish troops have not yet had any visual contact with the rebels.

The heavily armed group is believed to belong to factions opposed to the Chadian government. Reports from the area indicated the rebels may be planning to travel across Chad to attack the capital N’djamena, as they did in February 2008.

A Defence Forces spokesman said all necessary precautions were being taken.

The situation was being “actively monitored” to ensure a safe and secure environment in the Irish troops’ area of responsibility.

Victor Angelo yesterday visited Camp Ciara. He was briefed on the tense security situation by the commander of the Irish troops, Lieut Col Joe McDonagh.

Last week a senior UN official warned the mission in Chad was seriously compromised because of a chronic shortage of troops and helicopters and said humanitarian agencies were “alarmed” at increasing armed attacks on their personnel.

© 2009 The Irish Times

5. Plus they're likely to be playing Gaelic Football (Which is basically fighting, with a ball)
    I played a few games as a corner forward

Don't even start me on hurling

6. I only hope that the UN's rules of engagement are robust enough to allow the lads to defend themselves properly if anything does kick off.

The ancient and noble sport of fighting with heavy sticks (I think there's a ball in there somewhere)

7. UN? Rules of engagement?
    Hmmm.
    Get those boys out before it goes tits up.
    Sierra Leone, Lebanon, Srbrenica or Gaza anyone?
    You'd be better off with an AA breakdown policy to get you out than the UN.

8. This really a non-story. Injuries in these hot climates can often take ages to heal, and are easy targets for nasty bugs to infect.

Going way back to 1968 in Bahrein, a mate of mine was operated on for stomach ulcers. After being discharged from BMH Hospital at RAF Muharraq, he was air-trooped back to the UK due the fact that open wounds can take weeks to heal properly in hot climates.

So it is right for the irish CO to send any injured Irish Troops back home to recover properly. :)

9. Sometimes we use hurleys in place of bayonets, nice and bloody

10. Fixed that for you. :wink:

Back to subject.

I find that the standard of reporting from the BBC is on a downward spiral and this story highlights that belief. They are poor at confirmation, poor at facts and are very closely becoming no better than the red top tabloids in looking to sensationalise reports. They do not need to do so for revenue but, I think, they do it because they compete in a low grade market, that market is the British media. When I watch the news from other agencies - Al Jazeera, CNN, France 24 et al - I despair at how a great British institution has degenerated.

11. I think I´m right in saying that the Irish are in Chad as part of a EUFOR mission and therefore have different ROE. BTW, I´ve been to the site where the Irish now have their camp in Goz Beida. Believe me, you wouldn´t want to be recuperating there, it´s a hell hole and also is completely cut off for ground transportation for 4 months of the year during the rainy season.

12. The EUFOR operation has been replaced by a UN mission (MINURCAT) with the same mandate - "all necessary means".

The CO has to keep his force fit, healthy & ready for ops, and he can't do that if they have sports injuries. The threat is real in Chad (and seems to be getting worse).

Due to the conditions, most of the troops are on 4 month tours (on most ops they are 6 months).

Realistically I'd say the deciding factor in this was the cost of medical repatutation. Since early this year and untill the end of 2010, there is a recruitment & promotion ban in the DF due to the economic downturn.

I like that :D