Irish and Canadian on Gaza flotilla inquiry

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Noir, Jun 14, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

Ireland, Ulster and the Flotilla Inquiry

Israel’s cabinet on Monday unanimously approved a government-appointed commission with foreign participation to investigate the circumstances surrounding its deadly commando raid on a flotilla bound for Gaza in late May.”

Reuters explains that the two foreign observers — Lord David Trimble, a Nobel Peace laureate from Northern Ireland, and Brig. Gen. Ken Watkin, a former judge advocate general of the Canadian Forces — were added in response to “international demands for impartiality.”

The selection of Mr. Trimble, a former leader of Northern Ireland’s Ulster Unionist party, was described as unfortunate by his political opponents at home. The Unionists fought for decades to keep in place the partition dividing the island of Ireland into two parts, each with a different ethnic nationalist majority

Caral Ni Chuilin, a representative of Sinn Fein, the political wing of the Irish Republican Army, told the BBC:

I have to question the intention of the Israeli government in appointing David Trimble on the panel. Many will question just how serious or impartial an investigation Israel has initiated when at this early stage they send a very clear message to the world that only those supportive of Israel will be in a position to investigate what was a criminal act of international piracy.

In 2002, the flag of Israel flew above a Protestant area of Belfast, alongside symbols of Ulster, the United Kingdom and the Ulster Defence Association, a paramilitary group.
  2. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Better than a tricolour :evil:
  3. How about a flag depicting two dead Frenchmen on a mound of dead frenchmen motif
  4. There is going to be an inquiry in to Gaza's crying in 1990?
  5. Pity Sinn Fein fail to mention how they supported the massacare of Israeli Jews over the years, how the IRA trained the soldiers of the PLO etc.

I'd rather see the Israeli flag over my house than the rag of the Republic flown in my face.
  6. Thanks....may a camel shit on your car.
  7. Now Now. Put the handbags down and step away from the argument.

ISTR that the Israeli flags appeared as a response to Palestinian flags that were flying in Republican areas in "solidarity" with their Palestinian comrades. The enemy of my enemy is my friend. However such a thing does need a bit of thought as the Loyalists offended their far right colleagues elsewhere by siding with Jews.
  8. Ah, but Israel is a secular country..........honestly...........they'll swear to it.