Irgun. Revisionist  Zionism, 1931-1948.

Irgun. Revisionist Zionism, 1931-1948.

JINGO

War Hero
Book Reviewer
JINGO submitted a new resource:

Irgun. Revisionist Zionism, 1931-1948. - One mans terrorist is another’s freedom fighter.

That the Middle East is a complicated region both historically and politically should come as no surprise to even the most unobservant member of this site. It has been quite obvious over the last decade that there has been an interesting and in some quarters controversial increase in trade in military technology in both directions with Israel.

In my chosen career in Armour the Israelis were always held up as textbook masters of the art in the mid to late 80s. The later years bought less...
Read more about this resource...

By focusing on 1931 on, does the author not miss the earlier impact of Ord Wingate and his Special Night Squads that recruited the forbears of Irgun, trained them and honed them into the future leaders some became?

JINGO

War Hero
Book Reviewer
By focusing on 1931 on, does the author not miss the earlier impact of Ord Wingate and his Special Night Squads that recruited the forbears of Irgun, trained them and honed them into the future leaders some became?
The author has specifically chosen to cover the period of the Mandate. I cannot speak for the author but Wingates contribution is not covered within the scope of the book.

The author has specifically chosen to cover the period of the Mandate. I cannot speak for the author but Wingates contribution is not covered within the scope of the book.
I accept that, but it does rather comceal that the Irgun's origins were some way short of humble. Nonetheless, I shall make a point of acquiring the book in the hope it adds to what is already known of a fascinating period that threw together, often in comflict, the likes of Wingate, Dyan, Montgomery, Begin, Golda Mier, Wavell and others. Suffice to say that to this day, Wingate is revered as a key formative figure in the formation of the forerunners of the IDF.

JINGO

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Wingate was as ever a fascinating man, no wonder the British establishment was made so uncomfortable by him. I suspect that you won’t be disappointed the book is studded with the names of later key players in the IDF/Israeli government.