Irelands most vandalised statue is back

#1
From The Sunday Times June 28, 2009

Sean Russell statue fitted with alarms
Vandalism prompts security move at memorial to former IRA chief
Colin Gleeson

ONE of the most vandalised statues in Ireland has just become one of the most untouchable; it has been fitted with sensor alarms and a tracking device in its head.

The memorial of Sean Russell, the former IRA chief of staff, in Dublin’s Fairview Park has been attacked several times, mainly because of his ties to Nazi Germany.

The stone figure was decapitated four years ago by a self-styled anti-fascist group who claimed that Russell “looked to Hitler for political and military support in the IRA’s quest to reunify Ireland at the point of the bayonets of the Gestapo”. The right hand was also removed. In previous attacks the entire right arm was broken off, this time by a self-styled right-wing group who believed Russell was giving a communist salute.

Now a new version has been built in bronze and is to be unveiled at a ceremony in the park today. It was commissioned by the National Graves Association (NGA), an independent group which “commemorates those who died in the cause of Irish freedom”.

Sean Whelan, a spokesman for the NGA, said it has done everything possible to ensure the statue will not be vandalised again. “It’s solid bronze now, which means that somebody won’t be able to just take a hatchet to it,” he said.

“There’s a motion sensor, so anybody who tries to tamper with it will trigger a series of alarms. There is also a tracking device in the head, so if somebody does get it off we will be able to get it back.”

Naoise Ó Muiri, a Fine Gael councillor, said that instead of raising the likeness of a former terrorist leader, officials should have erected one of the actress Maureen Potter, who died in 2004. Ó Muiri pointed out that the new Russell statue “is in a different form” and they may have needed planning permission. “This is something that I will be looking into,” he said.

The bronze figure by William Malone shows Russell, who died off the coast of Ireland on a German U-boat in 1940, dressed in a trench coat and holding a hat. Whelan insists it is “a work of art in itself”.

It took the NGA three years to raise the cash for the new memorial, through fundraising events and sponsored walks.

Whelan maintained that Russell took trips to Germany and the Soviet Union in the 1920s purely in search of weapons to aid the cause of the IRA. “Russell was not a fascist and if the National Graves Association considered him to have been one, we would not be putting up statues of him,” he said. “It is nonsense.”
Times
 
#6
It's been firmly established that his main liaison in Nazi Germany was SS Colonel Veesenmayer, Hitler's coup d'etat specialist and later German ambassador to Hungary, where he claimed responsibility for the deaths of 450,000 Jews.

Russell had earlier ordered the IRA on a terrorist bombing offensive in England in 1938.

I bet the latest statue won't withstand PE.
 
#7
big_mad_ejit said:
HarryPalmer said:
Now a new version has been built in bronze and is to be unveiled at a ceremony in the park today. It was commissioned by the National Graves Association (NGA), an independent group which “commemorates those who died in the cause of Irish freedom”.
This seems to be some sort of Shinner front organisation.

Website

The RBL poppy appeal rattles their cage apparently

Yep.
Commemorates "Republican Dead" of Civil War.
 
#8
Russell's mission to Germany took place after the Nazi invasions of Denmark, Norway, Belgium, Holland and Luxemburg, amply demonstrating Hitler's contempt for the rights of small nations.
 
#15
It sickens me that such a statue can be raised to a man who obviously supported the Nazi's, as well as terrorism. 8O

Has Ireland no 'actual' hero's to build statue's of? Surely there must be a legion of well deserving Irish men and women who should be honoured with a statue.

Sean Russell isn't one of those - if he was would his statue have been vandalised so badly in the past?

If history had been different, how long would it have been before he was stabbing fellow 'Irishmen' in the back for not towing the (Nazi) party line?

Fortunately he was a part of a small minority who thought that any price was worth paying to 'reunify' Ireland.

On the positive side, many Irishmen from both the North and South joined the cause to fight against the facists - my Grandfather (from Co. Limerick) being one of them. :D

Perhaps it's these brave men, who took up arms to ensure that Ireland stayed free from the tyrany of the Nazi's, who should have a memorial built for them. 8)
 
#16
leprecon said:
On the positive side, many Irishmen from both the North and South joined the cause to fight against the facists - my Grandfather (from Co. Limerick) being one of them. :D

Perhaps it's these brave men, who took up arms to ensure that Ireland stayed free from the tyrany of the Nazi's, who should have a memorial built for them. 8)
Agree 100%. It was the heroic sacrifices made by those men who defended Ireland by defending Britain that helped to save us. If the Nazis had got this far they would have inflicted an oppressive occupation which would have made previous rule or misrule by the British Empire look like a day at the beach by comparison. And their tyranny would have been aided and abetted by Quislings like Sean Russell. Still might just about have been worth it to have seen him and his ilk stood up against a wall and shot after liberation.
 
#17
leprecon said:
It sickens me that such a statue can be raised to a man who obviously supported the Nazi's, as well as terrorism. 8O

Has Ireland no 'actual' hero's to build statue's of? Surely there must be a legion of well deserving Irish men and women who should be honoured with a statue.

Sean Russell isn't one of those - if he was would his statue have been vandalised so badly in the past?

If history had been different, how long would it have been before he was stabbing fellow 'Irishmen' in the back for not towing the (Nazi) party line?

Fortunately he was a part of a small minority who thought that any price was worth paying to 'reunify' Ireland.

On the positive side, many Irishmen from both the North and South joined the cause to fight against the facists - my Grandfather (from Co. Limerick) being one of them. :D

Perhaps it's these brave men, who took up arms to ensure that Ireland stayed free from the tyrany of the Nazi's, who should have a memorial built for them. 8)


On the other hand, this statue isn't paid for with public funds, and if the NGA want to piss their money away on something that's likely to come to grief sooner than later, let them.

What makes me wonder is who exactly is expected to come running when the motion sensors are set off. The Gardai have never demonstrated any enthusiasm in protecting the statue in the past.

And Sinn Fein showing their adulation for Sean Russell shows them up for what they really are.
 
#18
Bronze is it? Some useful scrap metal.
The "Travellers" will have it - just needs some quick action with a 3Hp petrol powered cutter with a 10" steel cutting disc!

(Could this suggestion make me an accessory before the fact?)
 

Latest Threads