Irelands Invasion of the North

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by tartar66, Aug 31, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Although I cannot verify its authenticy, The Times has reported that the Irish army had plans in place to "defend the catholic community" in Northern Ireland in 1969 from alleged British Army aggression. This included invading Ulster to take on the Beastly Brits.

Interesting!!

From what I can remember, the Republic's armed forces consited of a few baked bean tins on wheels and prats along the border who didn't have the bottle to confront terrorists returning to the "safety" of the Free State having carried out their dastardly deeds!!

2. True about the first part, there was alll sorts of ideas floating about, some half arsed other full arsed., there is a TV doco coming on on TV here about it, second part maybe not so true.....the RA have killed both cops and soldiers here...

BTW update the old atlas, the "free state" hasn't existed for a few years.

3. I think that this is a rather jaundiced view of the Irish Republic's armed forces who are very able soldiers. If my memory serves me correctly there was a battalion of them in UNFICYP in the next area to the Brits and they were impressive. Maybe I didn't see as much of them as I saw of the Danes who had saunas and a seemingly unlimited supply of beer.

4. The UNFICYP commander was a drunken doddery old fool from Eire when I was there.

5. Docu on RTE television tomorrow night I believe. "If Lynch had invaded" 9.35PM RTE 1.

6. Bit of poetic licence. They were considering annexing S Armagh and Derry using Coy size Battlegroups with perhaps irregulars sabotaging key points elsewhere.

Bugger all to do with 'defending the Catholics from British Army aggression'.

7. And yet he was still in command...fuck me we're good. 8)

8. In 1969 I was in 8 Flt AAC.
    We where the Spearhead Flt and due to support 3 LI in event of a call out.
    Following the troubles after the marches of the 12th, the Spearhead Det was put on notice to move.
    Then the entire 24 Inf Brigade was ordered to move by the weekend.
    We deployed and landed at RAF Bellykelly just outside Londonderry.
    I flew over in a 2 Sioux detachment, the Scouts flew over in a second section and I remember one guy, Larry Poultney, having to go to Wallop to collect Scout XR 601 which was in following a Tail boom and complete transmission change after our most interesting incident at the Aldershot Display.
    Some years later I was serving under one of our former 8 Flt Officers and he askes if I understood why we had gone to NI fully tooled up, including all our wartime ammo, and with forward firing and waists mounts for GPMG on our Scouts.
    He then explained it was because the SI gov had threatened to invade to protect the Catholic population.
    john

9. Fcuk! I always assumed you were an old get, John, but not that old. I take it the pension goes much further in your neck of the woods.

10. I remember reading somewhere the irish army said it could take derry but hold it for less than 24 hours.

11. I was told later in 1970 while in Londonderry, that it was thought that the Irish could have taken the "Derry Enclave" up to the river Foyle and then asked the international comunity for support, to stop the ethnic cleansing that was going on there at that time, It would have been little more than a pain in the Arrse for the British Army but a massive political problem for the UK in world public opinion

12. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

An Irish invasion of Sovereign UK territory would not need to have been a military succes for long - just long enought to truly internationalise the 'troubles' and to ensure that the UN - and by that, read USA - got involved; which was surely Jack Lynch's main aim?

Political pressure on the UK, at a time of economic chaos and a Labour Government (the normal combination) would have been immense.

13. "I take it the pension goes much further in your neck of the woods.
    Mucking right, despite the 20-30% devaluation of the Pound Sterling, I can still afford a bowl of rice gruel.
    john
    Luxury.

14. In 1969, the B Specials could have fought off the Irish Army.

15. The Irish Free State ceased to exist in 1949.

It is important to remember that we are talking about before British troops were deployed onto the North's streets and the bulk of the British Army was the BAOR.