Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Ireland - Presidential election

I wasn't born in Ireland but having been sent there as a nineteen year old I could say a significant part of my growing up* happened there! Does that qualify me?

*Quiet at the back there!
Mostly that was serving with Cromwell The oliver not the tank!

The president of Ireland gets more salary than the PM of the UK (~170k EUR). That's nice.

Not a like-for-like comparison. As HoS, you need to compare against HMQ. I suspect she receives a tad more than that.

Mind you, even the Irish PM gets more than the UK equivalent, at €185,350 but you need to factor in all the additional perks which may be substantially more than the base salary suggests.

Source: Taoiseach - Wikipedia

There's a referendum coming up next year that, if passed, would allow Irish citizens abroad to vote in Presidential elections. In fact anyone with an Irish granny could apply for an Irish passport and then vote in the election. This would potentially make the part of the electorate that has never even visited Ireland bigger than the part that actually lives here.
Mayor of Boston this year, Taoiseach of the RoI next year.

Not a like-for-like comparison. As HoS, you need to compare against HMQ. I suspect she receives a tad more than that.

Mind you, even the Irish PM gets more than the UK equivalent, at €185,350 but you need to factor in all the additional perks which may be substantially more than the base salary suggests.

Source: Taoiseach - Wikipedia
the President only gets the one free gaff

The Taoiseach doesn’t get one but probably expenses several

Sean-Gallagher_profile-notie.jpg

Sean Gallagher is the second most popular candidate on 15%. A former long-time member of Fianna Fail he left the party in 2011 to run in the Presidential election in which he got 28.5% of the vote. Gallagher was leading the polls at times in 2011 but he made a balls of a television debate when answering a question about a SF allegation that he had accepted a donation of €5,000 for Fianna Fail from an Armagh criminal and fuel smuggler. With a shaky career in real estate and on a reality television show Gallagher must see himself as some kind of Donald Trump.

I was racking my brain and now I know who this guy reminded me of..

tumblr_m5m7okVeNN1rsvkuqo2_r2_1280.png

Well, whoever gets the job will be worried about Brexit because if the EU force the border issue and it has to close the border with NI then who will Eire look to for support?

I have said before that S Ireland want to be a separate country with all the bells and whistles that goes with that status, yet hang on to the UK for their very survival. Once they are cut off will the EU back them to the extent that the UK has done since 1922? I doubt it and it will not be long before Eire become a lonely backwater ignored by the world. They will soon be demanding Eirexit and asking to come back under the comfort blanket of the UK - while retaining their status as an independent country!!!

Is that enough controversy for tonight?

We have another candidate, of whom I have never heard. Peter Casey got four Council nominations over the last two days. And there's still a week to go before the nomination process closes.

PeterCasey2014_large.jpg

Casey is yet another Dragon's Denster. Also a Brexit fan and Ireland should leave the EU.

Well, whoever gets the job will be worried about Brexit...

The President doesn't get involved in politics beyond stuff like dissolving the Dáil and rubber stamping legislation..

The rest of the post belongs in another thread but here goes...

because if the EU force the border issue and it has to close the border with NI then who will Eire look to for support?

We're far more concerned about Britain closing the border and the consequences of that. We'll probably have to agree to some form of tax harmonisation to buy continued EU support but that may be no bad thing.

The experience will be good for the Scots when they come to make decisions on their own border with England in a few years. :D

I have said before that S Ireland want to be a separate country with all the bells and whistles that goes with that status, yet hang on to the UK for their very survival. Once they are cut off will the EU back them to the extent that the UK has done since 1922? I doubt it and it will not be long before Eire become a lonely backwater ignored by the world.

Suits me.

They will soon be demanding Eirexit and asking to come back under the comfort blanket of the UK - while retaining their status as an independent country!!!

Unlikely. EU membership is up around 82% support with the general public.

An Irexit party launched last week though. It looks like a UK effort to continue the breakup of the EU. The main man is Hermann Kelly (I'm not making this up) who is associated with Farage and UKIP. Their policies seem indistinguishable from those of Sinn Féin TBH.